Week One - Cowboys at Giants

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by BlyGilmore, Sep 19, 2012.

1. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Cowboys and Giants started the season like any should ... a good old fashioned, hard hitting NFC East beat down.

Both teams' defense came to play and did their best to never let the offenses really get going. In fact, both teams starting HBs were limited to well under 4 yards a carry, as the two dominant front sevens showed their stuff.

The Giants got on the board first shortly after the first quarter ended, driving the ball into Cowboys territory and ultimately setting for a field goal. After a Cowboys punt, the Giants were once again able to drive and put the ball. After Eli Manning missed a wide open Victor Cruz in the end zone, the Giants settled for another field goal.

The Cowboys wouldn't quit, however, putting together a long, time consuming drive to end the 2nd quarter. With less than 30 seconds left, the Giants held HB Murray just short of another first down inside 20, and the Cowboys kicked a field goal to get on the board. 6-3 at the half.

The third quarter was largely uneventful, as the Giants offense sputtered with little or no ground threat, and both Osi Umenyiora and JPP harassing Tony Romo. Toward the end of the third and into the fourth, the Cowboys started to march once again. But a huge interception my Kenny Phillips in the end zone turned the momentum on its axis.

The Giants were able to move the ball after converting a big third down on a 31 pass to TE Bennett. After a slip screen to Bradshaw and a good run by rookie HB Wilson, the Giants once again found themselves in the red zone. After getting stuffed twice, Eli dropped back and found Hakeem Nicks in the corner of the end zone. 13-3 Giants.

Lady luck then smiled on the Giants. The Cowboys fumbled the following kickoff, and the Giants pounced on the loose ball. Lady luck smiled again, as HB Wilson put the ball on the carpet, with C David Baas jumping on the fumble. A couple of plays late the Giants cemented the game with another field goal.

With less than two minutes left in the game, the Cowboys tried to drive field, but the Giants defense held firm and, forcing the Cowboys to go for it on 4th down and watching as the ball was knocked down.

Final Giants 16, Cowboys 3

Player of the Game - Osi Umenyiora with 3 sacks and several hits on Romo.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Highlights.

3. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

Could not get much consistency on offense, when i did the red zone blues got me. That D-line is tough for our group of scrubs to handle but i should have tried to run the ball a bit more. We found ourselves in 4th and inches a couple time too.

Just need to get over that hump on offense and I think we will be ok. Defense looked great, without some costly turnovers, they would have probably looked even better.

GG Bly