Welterweight Tournament Results

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by NYJuggalo45, May 19, 2009.

1. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Welterweight Tournament Results

Post all the match results/recaps for the Welterweight tournament here

2. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Fine, I'll be first...

Georges St Pierre (NYJuggs) vs. Ben Saunders (cpu)

GSP wins by TKO at 1:04 in Round 3

The first round saw alot of feeling each other out. GSP was winning the standup as expected, but Ben Saunders was surprisingly able to take him down twice. Both times little damage was down and GSP was able to escape from the bottom.

The 2nd round saw GSP impose his will on the overmatched Saunders. Rush opened up 2 cuts on Saunders, 1 bad one under his left eye and battered him around. With about a minute left and GSP starting to tire, I decided to take him down. Quickly transitioned to side control and was pounding him when the bell saved him.

3rd round, GSP came rushing out and hit a spinning back fist followed up by an uppercut that sent Saunders reeling. He was able to cover up and recover, but only temporarily. A nice combo ending with a head kick sent Saunders back to the la la land and this time GSP wasn't letting him off the hook. A right cross put him on the mat and GSP quickly pounced and got in another 3-4 head shots before referee Mario Yamasaki called an end to the fight.

(Surprisingly lasted longer than I thought it would. I have to learn to pace more, as even the most fit fighter in all of MMA was tired with my frantic style. But a pretty easy victory and advance to the 2nd round for GSP)

3. Sweetness

Sweetness Banned

4 seed Matt Hughes (Sweetness) vs. #5 seed Karo “The Heat†Parisyan (Ryno)
    Ref - Herb Dean
    For years, Hughes was definitely the best fighter in the world. A From 2001 to 2006, he lost only 1 fightand later avenged that defeat going a sick 18-1 over that span. But father time seems to have caught up to the world class wrestler. Parisyan is a world champion Judo champion. He could probably take Brock Lesnar down if they fought. Both men want this fight on the ground. The question is, who will wind up on top in dominant position. Whoever wins that battle should win the fight.

WINNER: Karo "The Heat" Parisyan VIA Knockout 42 seconds into the fight

It started off a slugging match, only by Matt Hughes. Hughes came out blazing guns, not keeping his chin down over-confident. The Heat came with an overhand left right on the jaw which stunned Hughes and put him down.
    I though this was going to last 3 rounds, didnt know Karo had that much power. GF

4. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Keepin' it 1hunnah.

Featured Threads:
    #2 seed Diego “Nightmare†Sanchez (Shaun) vs. #7 seed Jon Fitch (cpu)

No one seeing this fight would ever seed Fitch that low again.:)

Round One: Fitch dominates. Takedown after takedown and brutal slams take the gas out of Sanchez. Fitch has Sanchez in full mount but Sanchez survives the round.

Round Two: The same fight continues. Fitch has his way with Sanchez, turning his left brow into ground chuck. Sanchez is able to get in two punches the whole round.

Round Three: Sanchez comes out full bore. Knowing he is behind two rounds AT LEAST on the cards, there is nothing to lose. Fitch continues his domination, throwing elbow after elbow. Fitch transitions into the full mount where he dazes Sanches with a well placed left. Sanches gives up his back and manages to scramble to his feet. Fitch throws a leg kick but is caught flush with a right hand, followed by a crashing left that sends him to dreamland. Sanchez is lucky to have avenged one of his only losses.

Winner: Sanchez by KO - Round 3 (1:02)

5. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

#3 seed Thiago “Pitbull” Alves (Blaza) vs. #6 seed Marcus Davis (cpu)

After seeing Big Nog getting KTFO in the Heavyweight matchup, Coach Blaza advised Welterweight stud Pitbull Alves to take a more cautious approach in his first round fight.

Thiago came out working his footwork and defense and peppered Marcus Davis with Jabs and leg kicks. This combined with Marcus Davis' inability to hit Alves flush led Davis to shoot for a few takedowns, which were stuffed by the pitbull. As Davis tired in the 1st, Thiago started working the head with high kicks and hooks. With :22 seconds left in the 1st round, Davis went for a wide looping hook which was avoided by Pitbull and countered with a crushing high roundhouse kick that left Davis' body numb.

Alves wins by KO (at :22 sec) in the 1st round.

6. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Georges St. Pierre vs. Karo Parisyan
    2nd round match

First 2 rounds were a really good chess match. GSP is so strong, was able to take down Parisyan and mount him a few times, but Karo's ground game is very good. Alot of reversals and sweeps. Few submission attempts to no available. Most of the 1st 2 rounds were fought on the ground.

3rd round started off much of the same. Parisyan was tiring a bit though and GSP, being the most insane shape fighter in MMA was still pretty good. After another tussle on the ground, both fighters got back up to their feet. I decided it was time to push it having more stamina left. After an exchange, and seperate, Parisyan throw a hook that had him turned around. GSP immediately threw one of his deadly high kicks. Mouth piece went flying, Parisyan crumpled to the ground, fight over. Georges St. Pierre advances to the finals. I think it was at 3:03 of the 3rd but not sure.

Ryno should have the video coming soon.

Awesome fight, definitely the best I've had so far. It was the "chessmatch" that guys have posted about. Really was a struggle and an awesome fight. GG bro.

7. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

so I guess I fight the winner of Blaza vs. Shaun. Not sure when you guys plan on getting it in, but let me know. Team Forca wants another tournament champion crowned this weekend

8. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

GSP vs. Thiago Alves for Championship.

Really good back and forth match. Both guys had moments when they were dominating. Alot of the match was spent on the ground but neither guy was able to mount or finish it with a submission.

GSP won a unanimous decision 29-28 across the boards. Won 1st & 3rd round with Alves taking the 2nd. Really fun and good fight. Probably the best I've had so far. Good one blaza