West Virginia Chronicle

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Masler, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

West Virginia Chronicle

New Coach fulfills promise of victory​

Welcoming in Coach Masler.

First quarter goes three and outs all day until Pitt finally scores first, they miss the PAT. 0-6 in favor of Pitt. Noel Devine takes a shot on a screen pass to go all the way. WVU on top 7-6 into the 2nd.

Pitt goes 4 and out after a failed coversion of the 4th and 10. Mountaineers next drive is halted by an INT. Pitt capitalizes off the INT and goes up 7-13. After a penalty riddled drive WVU settles with 3. 10-13. Pitt also settles with 3, 10-16 after the first half.

Pitt scores first in the half, 10-23. Noel Devine answers again with a screen TD. Only the second screen of the game. 17-23. WVU intercepts on Pitt's next drive, but can't convert on 3rd down. Mountaineers pin Pitt deep in their own territory at the 7 yd line. 17-23 into the final quarter.

With Pitt deep in dangerous territory WVU forces a 3 and out, giving excellent field position. Smith hits WR Sanders for the TD, 24-23. W Virginia's D makes a huge stop forcing the punt. They could have made the lead bigger but a dropped pass to the receiver results in a punt. But another great punt lands Pitt at their 6. Pitt is forced to punt it back. Attempting to scramble for the 1st since no receivers were open Smith coughs up the ball to Pitt. The Panthers drive right down the field only to have the WVU D hold them. An attempted FG gets successfully ice, preserving the Mountaineers lead. WR Heastie catches a beautiful pass for a TD. 31-23. WVU denies the last chance attempt at the endzone with a sack. They sit on the ball and are victorious 31-23

"I like how we made a fourth quarter comeback today, I just hope it doesn't come down to that every game," Masler stated "I'm proud of Devine, we ran a couple screens and he executed. Kid had receiver yardage today. Our actual receivers will be working on catching in practice this week." True words, the ball was thrown 35 times and was only caught 16.

The penalty flag was thrown so much this game they should have left them on the field, WVU had 11 for 119yds (mostly holding calls). Pitt wasn't much better with 8 for 73 yds.

West Virginia advances to 5-5 (5-2). They head to Duke next week to battle the Blue Devils.

Box Score

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6
    Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Final
    WVU 7 3 7 14 31
    Pitt 6 10 7 0 23

Notable stats

E. Smith -- 16/35, 344 yds, 4 TD

N. Devine -- 20 Att, 80 yds, 4 Rec, 165 yds, 2 TD

J. Sanders -- 3 rec, 50 yds, 1 TD

L. Heastie -- 3 rec, 76 yds, 1 TD

2. Masler

Masler Moderator

WVU 41
    Duke 26

West Virginia pretty much controlled this ball game with multiple stops and a couple of turnovers. Smith and Devine both had excellent days. Duke had the lead at one point but could not recover after halftime.

Coach Masler's promise is still good as he leads the Mountaineers to another victory. They gain bowl eligibility with this win 6-5(5-2). They finish off the season with a home game against Washington State.

Stats:

E. Smith 20/33, 305 yds, 2 TD

N. Devine 17 Att, 157 yds, 3 Rec, 58yds, 1 TD

E. Graham 2 Rec, 56 yds, 1 TD

B. Hogan 7 Tack, 1 INT, 71 INT yds, 1 INT TD

3. Masler

Masler Moderator

WVU 49
    WSU 21

West Virginia's starting defense and running game dominated the whole game. Devine had 3 TD's on the day and the D kept the Cougars out of the endzone until the end of the 3rd quarter. WVU's second team offense and defense then were subbed in and allowed two more WSU TD's. A great win to close out the season at home. Coach Masler is hailed as a hero as he keeps his promise of winning the remainder of his games. West Virginia finishes 7-5(5-2) and will most likely finish 3rd in the Big East. They are currently set to take on the Clemson Tigers in the Gator Bowl.

Notable WVU Stats:

E. Smith -- 11/14, 205 yds, 3 TD

N. Devine -- 29 Att, 172 yds, 3 TD -- **WVU POTG**

M. Rodgers -- 12 Att, 51yds, 1 TD

J. Sanders -- 4 Rec, 96 yds, 2 TD

B. Starks -- 3 Rec, 81 yds

S. Berry -- 6 Tack, 4 TFL, 3 Sack

The defense pressured the Qb the whole game, dropping both for a grand total of 6 sacks.

4. Masler

Masler Moderator

WVU 50
    Miss St 57

The game started off with TD after TD traded. Then it calmed down quite a bit with the 4th quarter score starting off at 24-34 Bulldogs. After going down by a couple scores, WVU makes a miracle comeback to stay in this one. 4th qtr ends at 47-47. Miss St forces WVU to kick the FG which is barely made, WVU returns the favor. 50-50. Miss St takes no time in finding the endzone to go up 50-57. On a strange play that involved a pitch when my finger what nowhere near the LT button, WVU loses it on a fumble and Miss St seals the win.

GG DJ, Congrats on being the PapaJohns Bowl Champ. Maybe we'll meet up next year.

5. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

Yessir a epic game indeed double ot haha

6. Masler

Masler Moderator

i dont know how i made that crazy comeback, i found my receivers, picked up that onside kick and managed to get both of those 2 point conversions