Western Conference Playoffs: Dallas vs. Minnesota

Discussion in 'The Baseline : NBA 2K14 Online Association' started by makinpropel, Apr 2, 2012.

1. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Vs. [​IMG]
    Overview:
    The first round of the Western Conference Playoffs features the #4 seeded Dallas Mavericks, the winners of the Southwest division, against the #5 Minnesota Timberwolves, the 2nd wildcard team. This match-up consists of a team who has been here many times before and won the finals last year, against a team that had the 2nd pick in last years draft. These teams split in the regular season, so it is anyone's series. Will the veterans make one final run, or will Minnesota turn a new page and win their first playoff series in years?​
    How They Stack Up:
    [/SIZE]
    Statistic Minnesota Dallas[/SIZE]
    Record 35-23 33-24 (2 games left)[/SIZE]
    Record at Home 20-9 18-11[/SIZE]
    Record Away 15-14 15-13[/SIZE]
    Points For 97.2 90.9[/SIZE]
    Points Given Up 95.2 89.9[/SIZE]
    Last 10 Games 6-4 8-2[/SIZE]
    FG% 47% 46%[/SIZE]
    3PT% 38% 36%[/SIZE]
    RPG 44.6 42.3[/SIZE]
    SPG 6.6 8.2[/SIZE]
    TOPG 12.8 14.7[/SIZE]
    APG 20.8 18.1[/SIZE]

Matchups to Watch:

Dirk Nowitzki vs. Kevin Love
    One of the best players in the world against the the face of the Timberwolves franchise. They will face each other a lot at either the four or the five. Both can stretch the floor and make jumpshots. Dirk averages 25 PPG, 8 more than Loves's 17 PPG, but Love pulls down 3.2 more rebounds per game. Will Love be able to handle Dirk without needing any help?

Jason Kidd vs. Ricky Rubio
    The Veteran against the Rookie. Jason Kidd doesn't score much, only averaging 3.2 points per game, but he does average 6.4 assists per game. Rubio tops him in both areas, scoring 12.1, and dishing out 7.6 assists. Rubio looks better on paper, but he doesn't have the experience needed to lead in a playoff series yet.

Jason Terry vs. Tony Allen
    Jason Terry will come off the bench and Tony Allen will likely have his minutes timed so when Terry is on the floor, so will Allen. A premier scorer against a premier defender. Jason Terry averages 14 PPG, and 46% from the floor so the guy can play. Terry is in the last year of his contract, so this could be his last time playing for his Mavericks. You have to believe he is going to give it his all.
    Conclusion:
    It may be a contest for who can get beat by Mike E 's Thunder next round, but it will still be a very intriguing game between the veterans and the young guns. The Mavericks do not have much left in the tank for future years, so if they want another championship, it needs to be this year. Minnesota is high on life right now, just happy to be here. They know they have been over-achieving this year, but don't see why this shouldn't their series.
    It should be fun SuperBowlNachos , and I'll see you on the court.
    What are everyone's predictions for this round 1 matchup?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  2. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Bond says the series is set up for 7, i've got this one going 6. Mavs taking it with Jet Terry being the X-Factor

3. ZCar352

ZCar352 Keep Pounding...Go Panthers!!!

Minnesota in 5

4. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

Tough to say. Im going to go with the more experienced Dallas Mavericks to possibly (and likely) make the Western Finals. Mavs in 6. Dirk goes HAM all series.

5. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

Minnesota in 7.......

6. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

Suck it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

Great write up. If this was a month or two ago I'd say Minnesota in 5. Now I kind of have things figured out and might be able to push it to 6 if I get lucky.

8. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I think the Mavs take the series in 6. Nacho's has that offense humming and his late season wins were impressive.

That of course assumes that they are actually able to play the games without getting network errors.

9. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I'll take Minnesota in 6 or 7, but with the way Nachos came on at the end, it wouldn't completely shock me if he took this one in a long series either.

10. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

I expect Dirk to get his points. Love will likely struggle shooting the ball, because he always does against users. Michael Beasley will struggle against Marion, but I think Rubio will dominate Kidd. I expect Rubio to average 15 points and 10 assists a game this series. Derrick Williams can come in and make a difference, but the Mavs are just matched up better. I think Mavs win in 7 as mush as I hate to say that.

I hope I win though, because this was pretty fun to write-up. I'd highly recommend everyone doing it for their series.

11. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

When do the playoffs start?

12. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I think tomorrow around noon EST (if the 21st is the last day of the season like it looks like).

13. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

Position Breakdowns

Point Guard
    As propel mentioned before this is going to be a battle of a hall of famer versus one of the youngest stars in the league. Lets look deeper though. Once we get past the starters it will be former Maverick J.J. Barea matching up with Delonte West who will be serving as the backup in this series and should be able to help with Rubio and take on Barea.
    TIE

Shooting Guard
    A lot of age at this position. Tony Allen is 30, Jason Terry is 34 and Vince Carter 35. The Timberwolves do have Wesley Johnson who could see increased minutes as the series goes on. Fortunately for Dallas this is their deepest position. Terry had the ring-less fire last year and now Vince Carter is on his last legs looking for that elusive championship. Terry capped off the season with games of 18 and 24(also in a contract year) so Allen and the rest of his squad will have to be at their best.
    Dallas

Small Forward
    Michael Beasley is having the best season shooting season of his career sitting at the 52% mark from the field and 40% from behind the arc. Shawn Marion isn't doing to shabby himself either and is averaging 11 per game while still being the guy who is put on the other teams best offensive player. Beasley isn't the best defender so Marion has to take advantage of opportunities down low. Jamario Moon was a late season addition and has only played in 32 games. Martell Webster is the Timberwolves backup and I could see him having a double digit game in this series.
    Timberwolves

Power Forward
    This is going to be one of the premier match ups of the first round. Dirk Nowitzki is a first ballot hall of famer and in the hunt for league MVP while Kevin Love could easily be in that same position at the end of his career. Propel already mentioned their stats. Dirk can't play the entire game though so we will see some of Ekpe Eduh who came over in a mid-season trade. He can't do much, but will hopefully be able to contain Love and Derrick Williams who gets a lot of minutes while Love plays center(that's what it looks like at least). Love might be the best in the future, but Nowitzki is playing at an MVP level right now.
    Dallas

Center
    If you don't include Love playing down low then there is a lot of stink going on here. What a fail Darko Milicic has been his entire career. He isn't doing much better this season averaging only 4.6 points a game. Is Love going to get most of the minutes here? I'm not sure. For Dallas Ian Mahinm is coming on strong averaging 6 rebounds a game which is a career high for him. Kwame Brown has proved serviceable for Dallas. He too came over in a trade, but has been in and out of the lineup.
    Tie

• Like Like x 1
  14. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

I'm not giving away my secrets

15. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

Watch for Dirk at PG.

makinpropel
    When do you wanna get going? I am free after 12est tomorrow then I have class at 4:50est tomorrow until about 6 then I am free again. I need to get a workout in so I'm not sure if I can fit two in the afternoon.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  16. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

I can play almost anytime after 4 CST. With about a half hour at like 6 or 630 to eat supper. You can set the time.

17. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

Oh good you're central time. I'll get back around 5. Lets shoot for game 1 then and then game 2 after supper. If I'm not down 0-2 after those we can shoot for game 3 too if you want.

18. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

Hahah, I think I can make that happen.

19. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

Wow that was almost epic. gg.

Play again around 7:30? makinpropel

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  20. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

Sounds good. Dirk almost won that. I'll get a recap up

21. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

That pretty much summed up the game on my end. Crappy shots.

22. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

Can we do like 8:15? My internet is getting shut off for a bit because they are unexpectedly working on our house. If not, we can play tomorrow.

23. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

24. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

That's fine

25. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

Lol ok be on in a bit