What Bowls are Within Reach of Your Program This Year

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by carolinaeasy, Dec 13, 2011.

1. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Thought this would be a nice thread to start some chatter. If everyone can do a breakdown of what could realistically happen between now and Bowl Selections I think we could have some fun. I took a look at the Bowl Projections last night and was pleasantly surprised to see some interesting match-ups on the horizon.

For South Carolina there are two possible scenarios to play out that are within our control. So I will start with these.

1. We win the SEC championship: If this happens we will safely hold onto the 3-4 range in the BCS. This would put us into the Sugar Bowl. We could land in the BCS game, but I see the PAC12 Champ being in that game regardless. So we would be reliant upon the Big12 championship (is there one this year?) to see TCU knocked off. If that happens we could slide into the #2 spot.
    2. A loss in the SEC championship: If this happens the waters are rather murky. A loss to Auburn puts the potentially 1 loss Tigers into the Sugar Bowl, and, while VERY unlikely due to their current ranking, the possibility of the BCS championship exists. If this happens South Carolina will need some losses by the one and two loss users to clear the way for an at-large bid in a BCS bowl. If this doesn't happen then the Capital One bowl will be a fun challenge against a good Big10 team.

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I might add that I hope TCU or someone else makes the big game. Playing only 1 user game this year makes me feel my 11-1 record is a bit tainted. It also doesn't help that egofailure took me out back to the woodshed in that game. I think winning the SEC and going to the Sugar Bowl would feel right because at worst I think I would have had a shot at the SEC title game.

3. jca312

jca312 Walk On

I think if we can't find a way to get by the Arizona Wildcats again, we shouldn't fall far enough to not get an at-large BCS Bowl bid. Already happy with my 12-0 regular season, feel like we are at least a year ahead of schedule, so everything from here is icing on the cake. Don't get me wrong, I'd love winning the Pac 12 with two wins over egofailure, but he's a tough opponent and going into the season, I know neither of us felt like beating the other twice was very realistic. I expect another really tight game and hope that the home field advantage is enough to put us over the top. Going from a 3-star program on the rise to a team that controls its own destiny for the national championship heading into the post season in 3 years is awesome.

carolinaeasy, no Big XII Championship Game, so you are rooting hard for the Wildcats in Conference Championship Week.

• Like Like x 2
  4. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Actually I am going to hope that I don't get into the game then. I don't deserve it.

5. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

I think my BCS chances dies in Pasadena last week, but coming off an 8-5 year with a B rated team, I think 10-2 is a good year, and I can't really guess where I'll end up because I have no conference tie-in. I played six rivalry games this year, all but two of them against better teams, so I think my little digital heroes di a good job. I lose a lot of good players this year, but if I gain a star and get some decent progress in the off-season, I could be tough next year.

11-2 would be a great year. Just hoping for a good matchup and the skill to get one last win.

6. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

The Arizona Wildcats have won two PAC-12 Championships in two years; and, of course, we won the National Championship last season. SO, with that all being said, do you think we even care about this year?

Abso-freakin'-lutely. ;-)

We now appear to control our own destiny. If we can beat Utah and then win our re-match with Washington, we're in. (Possibly.) Personally, I'd love the chance to repeat, but even if we get past Bdub's Utes, Washington's playing better than any program in the country right now. It's probably their year, but I feel we have a puncher's chance. Regardless, I'm hoping Arizona receives a BCS bid.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011