What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Nautica, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I was going through the boards over at OS and came across this:

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512402

It's pretty interesting and also pretty ridiculous as to the about of people actually calling what he did cheese. I personally do not think it is bad what he did, given that I would never do the same if I were in his situation. It was an extremely gutsy call that ended up going in his favor. In fact the other guy who used aggressive strip to try to gain an advantage, lost because of what we consider a big no no.

I saw jello's post and like I said, I think he should have just punted it and allowed his D to win it for him in a 7-6 game, but I didn't see anything wrong with what he did.

2. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Yes. I agree this is not "cheese" but it is not "sim". There is a difference. There is no abusive of the AI here but on the contrary, like the first poster said, no coach would EVER do this. I've had my high school football coach call a FB dive (we were a triple option team) with our DT who almost never got tackled on 4th and 2 or less on our 35 but he got stopped (we ended up losing in OT). So i see where it is alright to go for it because it does go through a coaches mind but a Fake Punt Run is no sim style play.

3. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I have two issues with it.

1 - It's a 7-6 game! You've already established that you CAN stop the guys offense so you'd probably punt and trust your defense to come up with the stop. There's no reason to roll the dice here. If it was high scoring 28-27, then maybe I could see it more, but not in a defensive battle. Kick it and let your D go win it for ya.

2 - Field position. On your own 24 if you get stopped you're giving the guy the game cause it's a chip shot FG from there. If he was closer to midfield, say in between the 40's I could see it happening for some gambling coaches because at least then if you get stopped they still need to get into FG position.

4. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Abusing the AI can't be the only definition of cheese. On of the most renowned forms of cheese is going for it on 4th down every single time, regardless of the situation (and no, I'm not talking about the situation in the post). Even John Madden said in some interview that he hates it when guys go for it on every 4th down. I'm sure no one on these forums would argue that it's not cheese if you always go for it on 4th down. Likewise, I'm sure everyone would agree that never kicking XPs and always going for 2 would also be cheese.

Neither of those situations above (especially the always going for it on 4th down one) are exploiting the AI, but it's most certainly cheese.

5. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I'm not saying that it should be allowed, it's just not in the classification of cheese to me. It's more not sim play. In no way am i'm feeling like you legit beat me after this shit but it's just not sim. To me Cheese= abusing AI / Non-Sim Play = not playing like what you see on Saturdays

• Like Like x 1
  6. jello1717

So, then, you're saying that if I never punt the ball against you and go for it on every 4th down that is only unsim, but not cheese?

7. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I mean yes. It's not to me. It's just not sim football, thus not what we are as a Tradition Dynasty, therefor is illegal.

8. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

9. jello1717

Our defintions of cheese are different.

10. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

I always considered cheese was abusing exploits in the AI, like nano-blitzing. Un-sim would be running the same play over and over or going for it on 4th unrealistically. What the guy did here was unrealistic and un-sim to me. I think both are similar, but different situations can be deemed cheese or un-sim.

• Like Like x 1
  11. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

My point exactly as well.