What do you guys think ?

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by soxandgators, Mar 25, 2013.

1. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Was looking over the file tonight and noticed a glaring issue we can fix for the better of The Dugout. This is so far off from what happens in real life and is easily fixed. Having veterans who are fully developed going against raw under developed players hurts what this is all about.We are using a morale system that is influenced by many factors.

For an example one of those factors is team records. If we got fully developed veterans going against raw players are we on a equal playing field ? Why not just put a bunch of fully developed veterans that got no chance of making the bigs with a few of our stud prospects in Single A. They will likely win at a higher rate resulting in a better team record. Which on morale will make the player very happy.

Or performance issues for example. You got a nice young arm who is looking to develop his talents and is facing a bunch of older men who are at peak development. While he is stuck playing at 1/3 of his future potential ability. So he gets knocked around a bunch and his performance suffers forcing his morale to dwindle. And we all know what that means.

These are just two common examples of what is happening in the league. We all signed up to maximize the sim experience by being able to groom every aspect of the big league organization. So lets do that and copy it in the exact same way the real major league organizations do it. Here is a baseline of what the current MLB franchises have going on. Let the numbers speak for themselves and make your own opinions. Lets see who the real gms are and force guys to make decisions at each level to best suit that players advancement and there organizations.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/minor-league-leaderboard-context/
    ScreenHunter_63 Mar. 25 00.53.jpg ScreenHunter_64 Mar. 25 00.53.jpg

Here is the numbers we have in our league. Too make this a simple task I will only be using the baseline real life average of 28.2 years old in AAA. Posting the number of players 28 or older in each affiliate.

Of the 30 teams x 25 man rosters there should be roughly 750 players at each level (ignore the short a ball etc using this as a guidline is all).

Look at the numbers based on a 25 man roster on average
    397 players over the age of 28 AAA...........(13.2 players per team)
    204 players over the age of 28 AA.............(6.8 players per team)
    243 players over the age of 28 A..............(8.1 players per team) Cut it in half since we all have 2 teams
    142 players over the age of 28 Rookie ball (4.7 players per team) Cut it in half since we all have 2 teams

Below is the current Active Roster Age breakdowns in real life.
    ScreenHunter_65 Mar. 25 02.37.jpg

So what do you guys feel is the percentage of players over 28 in your minor leagues right now that got a realistic shot of long term production at your MLB level ? What are we looking forward too in the next release with these trends in your opinion ? Lets keeps pushing to make the Dugout the best it can be and seek to maximize the awesomeness this game already gives us from OOTP. Why settle!

• Like Like x 1
  2. soxandgators

3. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

Never really thought, how other gm's were affecting my team. For me personally I released most of my minor leaguers over 27 that were playing at a level below AA and gave these spots to mostly 19-24 yrs old hoping to get a few hidden gems out of these guys. And I put my older guys in triple A, also I forget to resign my minor league players last season so it kind of wiped out my minor league system which I replenished with young guys.

One thing that has to make you wonder, what are these GM's thinking with 20+ guys 28 and over in A Ball?

4. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Good post.

I have a log jam of old fucks I need to clean out of AAA, but I'm doing the right thing below that.

5. sonn

sonn Walk On

Transferring this to real life doesn't really work since the real MLB draft is 50 rounds while OOTP is only 25 which makes a huge difference as the years go on.

TBH I have the minor league signings on auto. I don't care if the CPU signs me a 30 .5* scrub to fill out out an R ball roster instead of a 20 year old scrub.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  6. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I need more minor leaguers...you can sign them?!?

LOL

7. sonn

sonn Walk On

Haha yea. Just go into FAs and look for young guys usually they'll be 1* but you can sign them to minor league deals and hope they blow up. I did that with Eduardo Sosa. I got the Phillies 3rd rounder this year thanks to Kasper's slacking.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  8. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    You can sign players to Minor League Contracts.

9. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Too much micromanaging. If guys want to sign a 30 year old to fill a single A roster spot, let them. I have zero problem with it. The players aren't that good anyhow. Hell if guys want to pay salaries to guys to play in the minors, let them.

10. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Do we have ghost players enabled?

11. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Yes. But I still like regular players there for my org.

12. soxandgators

I thought the whole point of playing in this league is too micromanage ? To build your organization from the ground up. Looks like everyone has the Yankees mentality with this game just throw the minors on auto, taylor fit your 2 good prospects and hit export. And too say that the players aren't good anyhow is just untrue. Guys have arms with 70 overall stuff and more fully developed in rookie ball facing prospects with 35 contact. It has an effect one I pointed out that is valid with my two examples. The morale system is broken when guys place developed players with no shot at making the major league team in the minors.

If everyone is going to be using the auto for everything can we consider turning off player morale so it doesn't hurt the gms who actually try and play this game at its fullest and most realistic ?
    PAgamer07

13. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

There is only 1 player in all of Rookie leagues that is higher than a 1* overall and that is a 1.5* C. I don't see anyone stacking there low minors with quality players in order to have a player morale advantage.

• Like Like x 1
  14. sonn

sonn Walk On

There are no guys with 70 overall stuff in R Ball. The old guys suck too the only difference is that they're maxed at 30-40 instead of having more room to grow.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    I don't see the issue here. Being older does not equate to being good. If someone wants to devote their minor league roster to players who will never make the MLB, then that's their problem. But unless you're suggesting that people are playing AAA or MLB caliber players in AA and A(which has nothing to do with age), I don't see how this affects my own results.

• Like Like x 1
  16. soxandgators

You guys keep questioning me like I just make this stuff up and I didn't spend 4 hours doing this content piece for the benefit of this league last night

17. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    What are ghost players?

18. soxandgators

Sonn the Pirates have 3 guys with 65 stuff or better and over 30 on there rookie ball team. Since it was directed in response to Jesse acting as if it had no bearing. And who knows what the other 29 have i just had his team up as i was replying to his post earlier.

19. sonn

sonn Walk On

I don't think anyone is questioning the work you did, its just that you can't really take numbers from real life where the draft is 25 rounds longer and transfer it directly to our league.

I would like to know who the 70 stuff guy is in R ball though. :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. soxandgators

I wasnt about taking the exact approach the MLB numbers say. It was about thinking about making this league better and improving it with a talking point I felt needed attention. We could of set age limits higher then league average at each level so there wasn't anything unrealistic. We could turn off morale so guys aren't forced to build a pointless minor league system just to protect there best prospects morale. It is about a 30 person input not 1 guys view.

21. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Looks like you need to surround Romero with a few Crash Davis types.

22. soxandgators

When guys dont fill out there rosters or lineups they arent penalized a ghost player takes over in there place

23. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Been nice to know that, I've been cramming guys into 4 minor league teams.

24. sonn

sonn Walk On

PAgamer07 you cheating bastard. :playful:

• Like Like x 2
  25. soxandgators

I know you are making a funny here ryty lol....but. Nope, I will refuse to conform to something I feel is not accurate. I will play this game on what I feel is the way a real franchise is supposed to be run. Even if that means my entire organization (as it is now) is furious with me for my team records and it kills them all to half stars.