What do you like most about OOTP?

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by Drifterbub, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I am still shocked by how head over heels I have fallen in love with OOTP and The Dugout . I wanted to take the time to poll everyone on the top 5 things they enjoy about the game and the league. This info will be used as a prop for an article I Peench and I will be doing.

It can be anything - How deep the game's financial system is, How goofy the player models look, Colemanchu , The sudden death of top prospects, NeuroticTruth 's draft scandal (and lack of shame), The game's sim engine, etc.

So, what things do you love most about OOTP and/or The Dugout?

• Like Like x 2
  2. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

It has to be the obscure storylines. I mean the fact that PAgamer07 lost a player for a ponzi (sp) scheme is effing awesome.

Rest of the countdown:
    2. Continuous implementation of advanced statistics with each new title
    3. The ability to customize virtually everything
    4. Ballpark factors
    5. Just the utter randomness of how a season can play out

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Honestly, I just enjoy managing a team. I don't really enjoy playing the on the field game. I just like running a team.

But if I have to pick a favorite part, it has to be storylines.

4. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Any particular storylines come to mind? I think it'd be nice to reference some specific ones we've seen in the article.

5. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I'll recommend another one and its really short and sweet. Any storyline invovling a mistress that forces the player to miss time on the field.

6. I Peench

giroud.jpg

7. Masler

Masler Moderator

1. How in depth the game is
    2. I am still learning things about the game even though I've been part of the league for "years"
    3. The complete randomness
    4. Trade rapes
    5. Competition

8. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    I prefer the kids of former major league players. And the guys who get beat up by their wife/shoot themselves for injuries.

9. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    1. The realism of the sim engine. There's diverse players and team management styles that could work and you never have to worry about, by comparison, something like 5-10 RBs breaking 2000 yards or TEs leading every team in receptions and TDs. Bottom line, it just feels real.

2. The fact that there's no actual gameplay. This might seem like an odd one for a sports gaming site and is actually a drawback for me in single player modes, but having done quite a few TSO leagues, it's refreshing to be able to participate in a league and not worry about your opponents gameplay and potentially getting frustrated by how they play. This leads into number 3:

3. The competition. Mastering OOTP on it's own is a challenge and then you throw in 29 other human users where it's easy to be active and involved. This makes it one of the most uniquely competitive environments I've seen on TSO. This is heightened by there being no gameplay. One of the things I always struggled with for Madden/NCAA/MLB/NBA/NHL/FIFA leagues is if something works abnormally well in a game, is it cheese or realistic to do it some more? The player in me wants to be fair to my opponent and not feel like I'm abusing something so I would cut back on it. In real life though, they're going to keep doing it over and over until you do something about it. No gameplay lets us approach how we manage our teams in a realistic fashion with that killer instinct. Whatever you can do to get an advantage is kosher here and no one is going to complain about it.

4. The depth and the stats. MLB The Show is a great game and has a really good franchise mode, but the depth of OOTP and all the information puts The Show's franchise mode to shame. It's really amazing how big of a step there is between the 2 games as the show probably has a deeper franchise mode than most other sports games.

5. It's customizable! We haven't approached this really in The Dugout, but you can expand the league, relocate teams, and make new uniforms for teams(if you have someone who knows how to use photoshop). You can adjust the factors of the stadiums, how good the players come into the league and their nationalities, and the stat factors universally for the league. It's not just the MLB but numerous baseball leagues. If you don't like those, you can make your own fictional league and fictional teams. The options to customize can seem limitless at times and can be overwhelming.

On a side note, the story lines just don't do it for me. The occasional unique ones are great(like the one jface mentioned about the ponzi scheme where the player got traded during the "trial" and then was sent to prison), but they're just way too repetitive. If there were more unique ones, then I'd definitely be more into it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

• Like Like x 2
  11. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

1. I just love simulation games in general. That and being somewhat of a stat nerd, this is the perfect storm for me.
    2. The game being able to carry over year to year. This is something I really wish we could have had in NCAA. Some of the storylines that we've had develop even outside the game after almost 20 seasons are amazing. To name a few:
    • JFace907's ability to give outfielders career ending injuries.
    • soxandgators 10 year tank job.
    • ryalaman's reign in the AL finally being challenged.
    • The AL's dominance in general. Is it #14 in a row now ty5oke?
    • Just seeing people's different styles come out. Raj loves his home runs, Sharkman37 likes the the quick slap hitters, Knowles likes prospects, KnightNoles likes to lose money, etc...
    3. The overall depth of the game. There are so many stats and ways to evaluate a player.
    4. As Hal said, it's nice playing a game without any gameplay. Definitely a refreshing experience, and something unique at TSO.
    5. The Noles Award. Can we bring that back please?

• Like Like x 6
  12. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    1. The thing I love the most about OOTP, is that it allows us to have a league of 38+ people who, a vast majority of the time, participate daily in the league. Whether that be via the forums, exporting, PMing on TSO etc. There really isnt another avenue, in my opinion, that allows us to draw that many people to actively participate in a league.
    2. The ability to roll the file over with new releases. We're on pace to average around 10 seasons a release. Having to constantly restart in this type of a league would kill participation, imo, but being able to continuously build, shape, and mold something through the course of 2+ years is something that is very exciting to me.
    3. The general randomness of the game. While there is a massive amount of game play knowledge and skill required to be competitive in OOTP, the randomness of the game in terms of draft picks dying, random generally bad prospects exploding into superstars, and guys sometimes having their careers cut short; it all adds a different dimension to things not found in any other game.
    4. Like others have mentioned, the fact that you can go in so many different directions with teams really draws me to OOTP. Having to tailor build your team to your park and the fact that a majority of the teams are so unique in one way or another in their play style. Its definitely nice to see that its not a "one plan > everything else".
    5. Being able to have a game that mirrors ML baseball with so much depth, but also being able to customize it and make it unique to how we want the league to be.

• Like Like x 3
  13. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I blame sonn

• Like Like x 1
  14. sonn

sonn Walk On

And I blame work.

15. I Peench

(y)

16. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

I do???? :D

17. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

1. NT cheating
    2. Sweeping the Pirates
    3. Haters praying on my downfall
    4. Noles horrible GMing
    5. Trade Rape talk

18. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

o_O
    :pompous:

You weren't even in the league then.

19. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Cannot believe that was the best comeback you had...

• Like Like x 1
  20. KnightNoles

Does his GM skills even need to be mentioned though?

• Like Like x 1
  21. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Well he's in the league now and you are still horrible so....

• Like Like x 2
  22. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    There ya go.

23. KnightNoles

:rolleyes:

Typical

24. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

you have done worst since I've joined o_O

25. KnightNoles

unlikely ... might as well and do it to prove the land of the bottom dwellers.

Nats 75-87 Reds 81-81
    Nats 81-81 Reds 70-92
    Nats 75-87 Reds 69-93
    2024 ?
    Nats 79-84 Reds 64-98

• Like Like x 2