What I expect

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

What I expect

I thought, since we've had some turnover and we all play a little differently, that I'd spell out very clearly what I want from everyone. That way, everyone knows what counts as sim, what counts as active, and so on. The list is pretty short and simple, so I'm sure we'll all be able to comply. I just thought that, instead of assuming we all know what we're looking for here, I'd lay it out in one place. Here we go:

1 - Sim play. If you have questions, ask someone, but basically, if it doesn't happen on Saturdays in real life, we don't want it here. Stat-hunting, running it up, gimmicks and glitches - all of these will earn you a douchebag card (pictured below). Sim play issues have been the biggest cause of turnover. Apparently, some people think breaking records is an every week occurrence, and scoring with the first string in the fourth quarter of a blowout is normal.

2 - Content. I expect all players to save pics and replays from their games. I don't require a specific number or anything like that, but it's fairly easy to fill out a good number of pics and vids for us to look at. This serves two purposes:
    1. It gives the guys something to do while waiting for an advance.
    2. It allows the league to check on your play. If you score on the same play over and over, we'll pick up on that, and you'll get the treatment you deserve.
    Take care to save any replay the guys might find iffy. If you make a one-of-a-kind play, please save it for us.

Also, punch out a couple lines of text after each game. It only takes a minute, and the guys like seeing it. If we have to slow things down to get more involvement, we will do so.

3 - Activity. Show up here and interact with the guys. Drop comments on the league site. Get involved in league rules and game play discussions. Most of us have no issue here. I'm not asking everyone to be as active as the two or three most active guys, but we shouldn't go multiple days without stopping by to chat.

That's about it. Everyone has a different style, and I'm not asking anyone to go above and beyond, or anything like that. These simple guidelines make up probably the most lax set of rules here at TF. If anyone has reason not to be able to comply with one or all of these guidelines, now is the time, and this is the place to say so. I consider these minimums, and would gladly slow down our pace in order to get everyone on board.

[​IMG]

2. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

AG, thanks for this post. As a new player, this is the information I need to know. I also learned plenty in reading the old sim play thread a few pages back.

That all being said, I wanted to clarify a few things to the board:

1) This is my first time - ever - playing in an online dynasty. Please keep that in mind! I'm doing my best to read everything this forum offers, but I have a lot to learn. In fact, after looking through the recruiting restrictions (which includes limits on player speed based on position), I'm a little overwhelmed. It's not anything I can't handle, it's just a lot to taken in after one day. My point? Please feel free to help me out! There's a lot I don't know, but I'm the type of player who only needs to be told something once.

2) I'm accustomed to playing my own dynasty/franchise off-line. Therefore, I never downloaded images/replays or posted summaries before. Again, feel free to help me out and explain how to do some of this crap! ;) Once I learn it, I'll make full use of it.

3) I'm excited to be on board. I can already tell that we're going to have a lot of fun.

4) I don't think my freshman RB is all that good. Just sayin'.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Typically, guys develop their own approach over time. I, for one, really get into recruiting, so you'll see a detailed thread about my players, when they sign, who I think will sign nest, etc. Not everyone does that. The parts you liek the most will become the things you end up spending time on, and that's fine. But you'll notice that the guys who spend a little time are the ones who give all of us something to do, see, chat about, whatever. That's what I'm going for with my set of "rules."

Most of the speed restrictions and such are holdovers from last year's game, when speed was way too big of an advantage. Recruit any player you want. I wouldn't worry about it much here, though I'd pay attention to the position change restrictions, since we plan to mind those rules pretty carefully.

If your first game is any indication of how you're going to play, I don't think you'll have any issues here. I'm sure little mistakes will happen here and there, but it isn't going to be an issue. Intent counts for everything around here.

4. egofailure

My first game is a perfect indication of my style of play. While I've run up the score in my own dynasties in the past, I love the accountability of coaching your team and running your program according to real-life standards in a community league. When you're a part of something like this, it changes everything.

I run a fantasy football league with friends and have always been the one to write the previews and post-game analysis week-to-week. I remember one time, life got really busy, and I skipped out on doing it one Sunday. That's when I found out just how much others enjoyed my write-ups. I received e-mail after e-mail asking, "Yo, what the fuck?" The more effort you put into the league, the more fun it is for your fellow coaches.

So, um, any recruiting tidbits? ;) I'm hoping for 15 transfers!

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I've sprinkled advice in a number of threads. It shouldn't be hard to find.

6. egofailure

You're right - it wasn't. Thanks!

7. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

My thoughts on the state of the league:

-Mullen likes doing it and producing from that "doing it"
    -Archie like running with Terrelle Pryor... most likely so he can stare at his ass a wee bit longer
    -Sample is just angry. And maybe a bit of a drunk.
    -South Carolina has apparently all purchased knee braces
    -Brucebond wants to up hunan tackling
    -West Virginia, regardless who they are coached by, is a painful school, location, and people...just saying

Suck it
    Heath

8. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

VaTechHokie has a 24-7 erection for Ryan Williams and Darren Evans. He would pay them for sex.

The Rutgers guy has probably appeared on an episode of the Jersey Shore.

The new guy is really just carolinaeasy with a new screen name.

Archie wears a red sweater vest and a sony walkman headset when playing to feel like Jim Tressel.

mrluchini is really just Jim McMahon reliving the glory days and trying to intentionally destroy the BYU program.

Sample was really,really drunk last night.

9. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

very nice

10. vatechhokie01

This makes me happy.

And hold on...

yep, still have wood over Ryan Williams and Darren Evans.

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

1 - Mullen secretly calls his baby girl "LeMichael."

2 - Hokie ends each sermon with the phrase "Bless you bitches."

3 - WVU is not UVA

4 - Apparently, Rutgers is the greatest team to ever don uniforms.

5 - I not only wear a sweater vest, but I sing "Carmen Ohio" to my family after every game.

6 - Mullen likes uniforms a bit too much, if you know what I'm saying. The wife and kid thing is just a cover.

7 - South Carolina has some sweet unis.

8 - And, of course, Sample is a drunk.

12. vatechhokie01

i always took mullen for more of a LaGarette Blount man myself.

a) when are we starting madden?
    b) when are you allowing me to edit that state of the league stickie?

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

a) Whenever you want.
    b) Whenever the powers-that-be answer my request to grant you mod status. I'll send another request today.

14. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

i take offense to that, ok no i really don't. Hit it right on the head.

15. Goose

Goose Walk On

It's got to be "Eat my balls, bitches. Heath out!"