What Is A Rule Violation?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by majesty95, Sep 25, 2012.

1. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

I've been thinking about this tonight and I wanted to clarify this for everyone so that we are all on the same page going forward. There has been some question as to what is allowed and what is breaking a rule. So, here is a quick rundown for everyone to keep in mind when playing their games:

First, certain things are obvious rule violations. These are listed in the rules and are talked about specifically such as (but not limited to):
    • Going for it on 4th down from your own 30-yard-line.
    • Using fake FGs more than one per game
    • Running no huddle in the 1st quarter
    So on and so forth. You get the picture.

Other rules are more vague, ie running plays over and over. What exactly does that mean?

For the most part, I would say running the same play more then 2-3 times per game is excessive. However, there are certain "staple" plays or concepts in many different formations. These include plays like slants, draws, screens, etc. You can run any one of those plays out of probably 10 or more formations. So, it is not inconceivable to see one of those plays run 4-5 times per game, each out of a different formation. That would certainly be considered realistic.

The idea here is to use common sense and logic. If a player is calling the same play from the same formation 5,6,7 times, he's violating a league rule. If a player is hot routing a certain receiver to to an out route every other play, he's violating a league rule. But use your best judgement. I don't want you to take a loss to someone who is clearly violating the league rules. However, I also don't want you to make excuses for a loss by saying your opponents was cheating or breaking rules when they weren't.

Think of the theme of the league, we want everyone to feel as though you are sitting on the couch with a buddy. If you would call your buddy out for what you are seeing, then maybe its against the rules or "excessive". If not, then its probably not. A good rule of thumb is, if you have to ask your self (or someone else ) if its cheating, it probably isn't.

The one thing I will caution everyone on though, and judging by the stats this might be being used excessively, is the deep ball. Teams only take a few shots down field per game. Heck, some teams rarely take shots down the field (see Vikings). So if you find yourself chucking the ball deep (meaning trying to get the receiver behind the safeties) more than 3-4 times per game, you're being excessive. Again, its all about balance. Run inside, run outside. Throw short, medium and deep. Use check downs. Mix up your routes. As long as you do that you will be fine.

I hope that clears up the picture a little and we can all continue what is starting out as a very interesting season. :)

P.S. If you are not familiar with all of the rules, stop by and read over them once or twice a week until you are. Don't leave it up to your opponent to call you out on something. We all agreed that we read and understand the rules. Its not fair to your opponent to put them in a situation where they have to call you out. We should all be our own biggest critics ;)

coachgaddy, MarkyMark67, Kyle-702, Crespo6, MZizzle2, Jbbubba, bigtubb_, RightWingPigeons, lilaaddzz, YungLew15, Richard hunter, fpuent, Big John, jeb4056, AveryB, Ninersfan80, wayers50, IncrediTony, slicknick202, thoov08, woodsmall, Cole Copeland, Crumbler81, MiaFLSurf, B-MELO-82, Jshaver, Flyinhi2005, Zikry, Crunk_Ness, Futuriistiics

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 7