What is everyone's opinion on..

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by bcduggan, Oct 24, 2009.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

What is everyone's opinion on..

aggressive game plan for defense?

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

all set to aggressive?

I use various aggressive tendencies depending on what seems to be working. There isn't a rule against any of them in my league, but the strip ball seems really unrealistic (being able to stop a guy who is running full speed just because you pushed that button and try to strip him with a cpu player...)

so personally I don't use that one in any situation. I don't see it used against me in my dynasty either, unless the other team is down late, at which I just put it on conservative running and it seems to counter it. But that one I think is cheesy. Anybody who uses that all the time or even every game, IMO that's a little lame. The rest I'm fine with, all seem to have adequate risk/reward for my liking.

3. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

The aggresive jump snap all game is pretty lame.

Thing with these though is that there is no way to tell if a person is using them, unless its the jump snap, or aggressive zone cover.

4. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

You can tell if they have pass defense on aggressive, no?

Doesn't it say strategy +15?

5. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I dont have the season showdown signed up, so I cant comment. Basically though it would be nice if EA would just drop these gimmicks but chances are they will be around for 5 more years.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah I am not a huge fan of the jump the snap but in league play i'm getting people doing it to me in most games and it does not seem to be a determining factor in the outcome of the game, in any way. So while I don't like it and it does seem to at times be a bit too much, I do use it as I have a right to equal footing.

7. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

It gets lame to see it evvvverrrrrry pllllaaaaay though. I mean the oline isnt bad enough in this game for you to get pressure without it? Either way it all comes down to the old EA slogan " If Its In The Game, Deal With It."

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I don't use it every play. Max half the game. But.... we've had arguments about what is fair and what's not and it doesn't seem to matter if another league member thinks something is unfair until it is banned we can just call your argument ridiculous and move on.

edit: And of course, since you said something about it, league decorum dictates that I use it as much as possible to spite you. :)

9. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

CA>No, not necessarily. It does say +15 for interception, however it says that for a user pick too.

It says +10 for fumble.

The reason I ask is because of user games in dynasties, not just here but in other boards as well. I believe some dynasties go as far as banning it.

People complain about jump snap being an issue, most users use the same snap count. Jump snap is easy, esp when the user goes up there and snaps the ball right away.

People complain about throwing a ton of ints in user games, in most of the user games I have played users throw from 60 to 85 % of the time. Yes, I had 1 guy call 31 of 37 plays in a game against me as pass plays. One dynasty I am in believes the ton of turnovers is caused by people using aggressive game plan on defense in user games.

My view of aggressive game plan on defense is that it is high risk, high reward. I have lost a few user games because of blown coverages, that happens on quite a few times using aggressive game plan but at the same time because of my offensive game plan any mistakes I make are more human error. I can't read coverages on offense. I average 1-2 picks a game on offense even though I throw 15-20 passes in user games. I try to run 65% on offense even though I have started to call more pass plays now in user games.

I don't use Aggressive all the time. My low end is like 20%, high end was 75%. I lost the game where I used it 75%, he had a more talented squad and I threw 3 ints on offense and was struggling moving the ball.

My other view of aggressive is that it is only really effective against teams that are throwing above 60% of the time. This goes for both User and cpu games. I have the most success if the team throws a lot. I don't have records from cpu games or stats analysis in cpu games. However in my last 12 user games I am 7-0 if the opponent throws over 60 % of the time. 1-4 if they throw below 60% of the time. The 1 win was a tight game all game, and should have went into OT but my opp went for 2 and win instead of XP under 1 min left and got a bad call from officials in my opinion.

Sorry that this is long.

10. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

You can avoid interceptions even if people are being aggressive against you. It just takes discipline.

11. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

3 BCS Titles say listen to Hellison. also quick release when u decifer what the defense is doing. He who hesitates...............masturbates. or in football, gets sacked.

12. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

In my case on interceptions, I don't know if they are being aggressive. I can't read coverages but I am getting better at it.

I know being aggressive on defense can be beat. People have beaten me when my defense was aggressive. The guy who I referenced where I was aggressive like 75% of time was able to hit a well covered receiver when I was using aggressive for a nice 35 yard td bomb.

13. jfosh

jfosh Super

Note to self use Jump snap against Coleman. He does not like it.

14. jfosh

jfosh Super

Most of the interceptions this year are on bad reads and its the Users fault. You should through a pick if you make a bad read. The defense drops a ton of picks.

The other thing with INT's is there are a ton from the QB getting hit and the ball shooting up and a DE or DL getting the pick.

15. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I'm trying to train myself to where I do not throw when it's inevitable that I will get hit. If I think I can throw it THEN get hit that's one thing but if I'm just gonna get hit, I try and make a pronounced move with the joystick right before contact (up, right, down, left... never diagonal..) that looks like it would elude the rusher. Works a lot. If he doesn't get away, just take the sack and live to fight another down.

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I'm NOW under the certain belief that the aggressive for the DLINE makes a HUGE difference.

For two seasons now I had it off. Only reason I turned it on was A- helli used it against me and I kept getting sacked (kept saying user jump snap), B- was told about it. I put it on against kinger and all of a sudden the pressure was coming like crazy. I'm not sure if there's something to combat that pressure in gameplanning purposes.

17. ThaEra25

ThaEra25 Oregon=Longhorn Country

Yeah its called draws, screens, and hot reads...The gameplan feature in my opinion is not by any means over powering...Its easy to blame a feature in a game for throwing 7 picks but reality is thats the user's fault 100% of the time...Jump the Snap can easily be combated with some hard counts...you dont have to snap the ball as soon as you line up...Hot Route a Tight End and/or a Back to Block...C'mon guys sometimes its too easy to point the finger at a "EA" screw up but I dont think thats the case with this feature...Its very high risk reward or it can be used as a solid gameplan against certain teams...

Now the Run Commit is a whole different story...way to over powering!

18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    yeah that's true...you just have to dial down those 7 step drops ;)

19. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I see what the reward is but I would love to here the risk.

20. RaveDown

RaveDown Get Worked

The only problem is that hard counts don't stop it, you can do three fake snaps in a row and you still get jump the snap. Plus if you get 3 offsides called against you, you get kicked from the game for "excessive delay" and I believe that at 2 offsides calls in an OD game EA stops the DLine from going offside. In an OD game I got my opponent to go offsides two times in early in the first quarter and fake snaps, I continued doing it the rest of the game and no more offsides.

IMO the pass rush gets to the QB to quick with "Jump the snap"

21. RaveDown

RaveDown Get Worked

LoL....you hit the nail on the head

22. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Going against aggressive blown coverages happen, also teams that stick with the run tend to run better

23. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

You guys can always have Oline go aggresive and have them hold their blocks longer... I believe each offense and defense have a counter on the GP feature..

24. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

the counter argument would be that setting the o line to hold longer and try harder for impact blocks leads to penalties, whereas defensive line to aggressive does not result in offsides. At least not from what I've seen. But for me... simply put... I've had it used against me constantly and it's never been the reason I've lost.

25. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

I think the disadvantage of jump snap is drawing the defense offsides. Problem is you will get more false start calls than you will offsides. Additionally big hits has no disadvantage on a good defense. Even if they fail to knock the player down, they are so disrupted they will be easily tackled. Aggressive blocking results in drive killing holding calls, without fail.

Personally I think DLine aggressive and Big Hit aggressive are both pretty lame, I would not mind them both being removed from the online dynasty's I play in. Its a huge advantage. If its available, there is no reason not to use them... ever.

There is zero disadvantage to either if you have a good team. With great teams both settings are over powering.

Its free sacks and free fumbles. I have played in leagues where the AI big hits are so common that you pretty much have to stop running up the middle and drive with wr to avoid hits.