What is most important in a 4-3 defense?

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by _MG_, Nov 28, 2012.

?

What is the KEY position in a 4-3?

1. DTs

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. DEs

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. MLB

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. OLBS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    I am converting my defense to a 4-3 this offseason and I am just interested in what you guys believe is the key to a strong 4-3 defense.

Is it strong defensive tackles that can stop the run AND rush the passer (05 Tommie Harris)? Is it defensive ends like Julius Peppers who can get at the QB and still be viable against the run?

Is it linebackers who can run a cover 2 like safeties (Brian Urlacher type) and can stick on running backs and tight ends like glue? Is it sure-handed OLBs who don't miss tackles (Lance Briggs)?

I just named all Bears players. What a fucking homer I am.

Anyway, what do you guys think is the key position of need in a 4-3 defense?

2. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    I voted for DTs, as I believe in order to run a successful 4-3 defense you need to a strong push in the middle by hybrid type DTs who can rush the passer and fill the gaps on run plays.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

depends on if you're going to bring pressure from anything other than DLine. If you bring blitzes it takes a little importance off of the linemen and more on the LB'ers. If you want to create pressure from the down linemen then they become important. How you create that pressure (DT or DE) is up to you. If you have weak DT's hope you have good LB'ers to stop runs up the middle

4. thebouncer24

so i guess in the end i voted DT's just because I have seen my 2 beasts do work

5. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Yeah I am looking to run a Chicago Bears-style Tampa 2 defense where I rely heavily on pass rush from my front 4. At least that is the plan, we will see what personnel are available in draft and free agency.

6. thebouncer24

yeah I still think DT's are important, but now you need some LB'ers that can get to the QB

7. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    in a tampa 2 you don't really use linebackers to blitz in most situations, they are more for tackling in the middle of the field and zone

• Like Like x 1
  8. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

1. DTs
    2. DEs
    3. MLB

9. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    too cool to vote in the poll?

10. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Happy...?

11. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    YES I AM THANK YOU

12. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    I voted DT but don't really value them anymore than DE. It's all about DL, imo. A successful 4-3 comes from having your front four control the offense's front 5. If you can do that consistently, then that puts the rest of your defense in position to make plays.

13. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Being a vet of the 4-3...and not a very good one...

Everything matters. I'd say DTs slightly, BUT...

Guys like to run to the outside. That is no secret. It is fairly easy to stop the middle run with decent DTs and solid usering as a MLB. What matters is keeping the contain too.

So really, everything is important and I can't pick one position over the other.

14. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    I'd so DE's, especially if you user a LB. You can make up for weak DTs yourself usering a LB. The biggest thing for me is making sure I can get some pressure with my DE's without having to bring extra guys (ala Cameron Jordan)

15. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

DT's like Ndamakong Suh will help. It is easy to run away from a DE, more difficult to run away from a DT who can scrape. I think of a 4-3 defense like I do a baseball defense, you want to be strong defensively up the middle

• Like Like x 1
  16. ChildPlease9

ChildPlease9 @HKSeahawks

Like the 3 the Bengals have :)