What is the Good People of TSO's Issue w/NCAA 2013?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Gyrene76, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

I've noticed a sect of the TSO population's (well it's not exactly a secret) displeasure and even disgust with NCAA 2013. It has weakened a lot of the leagues, as many have migrated solely to Madden (best Madden release thus far), NHL, 2K, or Dungeons and Dragons.

I still have a lot of fun playing the game and don't think it is as broken as people are saying. I know it has its flaws, but every NCAA has had its share. That's my opinion - I would like to hear some of the community's response as to why they hate this year's release, or why they think there is such a large exodus of NCAA leagues this year.

(And I'm not referring to "seasonals")

~ Josh

• Like Like x 1
  2. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

1. Zone coverage is horrendous. Defenders don't pass off assignments like they should, they get sucked out of position too easily.
    2. Deep safety play is abysmal. Absolutely abysmal.
    3. Man coverage is OP'd, as is press.
    4. Lack of atmosphere. This was supposed to get a big overhaul this year, but I find the atmosphere (particularly in the important games/CCG/Bowl games sorely lacking). Every national championship game I've played has been an utter bore. Atmosphere defines college football, and is why I love it so much.
    5. OL/DL interaction is WAY worse than Madden, and Madden's isn't great. In Madden, you are rewarded for stepping up into the pocket. In NCAA, not nearly as much.
    6. Plethora of bugs, glitches, and things that ruin an Online Dynasty experience. I can't even begin to tell you how much crap people have dealt with on this end.
    7. Recruiting is broken. CPU teams don't offer/go after players realistically. Still 5 and 4 star guys going without a CPU offer, even on Heisman recruiting. On top of that, I still don't see many 5* guys that don't drop. There should be boom and busts of course, but the best players always seem to be 4*.
    8. The game just feels arcadey compared to Madden. WAY too many big hits (gripe of mine for years) and it's crazy fast.
    I believe I enjoy the game more than most on this site, but there are some real issues with it. These were just a few off the top of my head.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

I agree totally with above. EA could be one "real" patch from greatness , but I'm afraid that won't happen.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Gyrene76

Agreed Steve.

I agree. I think #4 should have been an easy fix for EA. However, there is a get around that I love. I know you probably don't want to put the effort into doing this, but it's amazing. If you set up "Stadium Sounds".

http://www.operationsports.com/foru...6-secelites-stadium-sounds-thread-2012-a.html

Other than that, I think that #2 is the worst of the list. Safeties go insane and forget they are on the field occassionally.

A lot of the bugs I'm not running into too often though. I know Madden has a better game, but to me, I feel the Zone has never been really fixed in any releases.

Anways, good input Steve.

5. the bigg dawgg

the bigg dawgg Walk On

i have never had problems with zone until this game which sucks because i primarily played zone for the last 3 or 4 years. and in this it almost seems man coverage is either way too good or like u said they have brain farts. there doesnt seem to be a middle ground. i like the game though. never been a huge madden fan though. mostly because i'm not a huge nfl fan

6. I Peench

I have full custom stadium sounds for ND. It definitely adds a bit of atmosphere, but it's still pretty lame. Again, this won't carry over to big neutral site (or away games). I was just a bit upset they sold us on that this year. Bulldog and I played a National Championship game that honestly had the atmosphere of a JV High School game

7. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

One of my big gripes is user catching , almost impossible to do. IF you throw a ball, who cares what kind could be a baseball , softball ,soccer ball, basketball , golfball , gumball whatever , to the average american male he will instinctively catch or at least try to catch the damn thing. I have no idea why EA neutered that , nothing like making a good read to find a wide open guy and throw a perfect ball , then when you switch to user catch you just run. :mad:

Run on sentence aside, this is one of my main gripes that Peench did not already cover.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gyrene76

Thus far I've agreed with everything you guys have said. I really do.

I'm not defending or bashing EA by any means. I just feel like it's not SO much worse than it use to be.

I do think zone isn't as good as it could be, and I use to user catch all the time Dan. It is frustrating they took it out, but I've read that they did it to "even the playing field" in online games (whatever that means).

Good stuff though. I will keep playing NCAA, but hopefully the next release is a good one.

9. I Peench

I think this game is infinitely better than NCAA 12, want to be clear. We live in a world of relativity, though, and Madden is the clear winner.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gyrene76

I think that's what it is.

Since Madden stepped up their product so much more, I think it makes NCAA looks that much worse. But I do like this release better than 12'. Now if NCAA could step up their product we'd be in business! :)

11. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

I think I Peench hit the nail on the head, especially the coverage. I shouldn't have to overlook a guy being open deep downfield on any given play because the CPU can't cover deep receivers. And I'm not sure what they did with zone but it's like defenders sit on small islands, and only react if someone is in their immediate vicinity. A hook zone in midfield shouldn't be some small circle off to the right. It should go from hash-to-hash, especially if it's a MLB.

But for me, all of those points (along with not being able to find an effective slider set) kind of led to my main problem: the game just got stale and boring.

No doubt, NCAA Football 13 was better than 12, and 12 was probably better than 11. But overall, it's like saying NCAA 11 was a 7, NCAA 12 was a 7.25, and NCAA 13 was a 7.5. IMO there's just not enough innovation or as much effort being put into NCAA series, relative to what we're seeing with Madden.

I mean, when I start a dynasty with Michigan, and I'm playing Bama week 1, and I'm playing great defense only to fall mercy towards the end of the game to the CPU cheese, it's deflating. And this happens on a consistent basis. I can go into the 4th quarter winning 21-0, and end the game winning 24-21 just because of the CPU cheese.

It's kind of hard to explain because for me, it's just so much stuff that adds up to the day where I literally feel no motivation to play the game. I'd assume most people stop playing because the game just ends up not being fun anymore. At least, that's the case for me.

12. Gyrene76

I dislike CPU AI.

I played Bama in a CPU OD game. They ran 5 wide 35% of the game....5 wide! Alabama!

13. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

A lot of people have wanted a solid madden for a while so they're naturally biased towards madden over NCAA. While I do agree with some of Ipeench's points, he's also exaggerating and failing to point out the similarities between the games on some of those issues.

1) agreed, zone coverage is awful.
    2) I've seen great deep safety play if it's combined with man-defense and you properly adjust the safety zones pre-play(Y->up) is my favorite adjustment and really helps on the deep go routes.
    3) neither man nor press is OP. I beat both on a consistent basis with a multitude of routes.
    4) no comment. don't really care about presentation.
    5) you're definitely rewarded for stepping into the pocket in NCAA so not sure where you pulled that comment from, but I do agree the d-line play in NCAA is terrible. That's my #1 issue with the game. I've never controlled d-linemen in past installments but the play is so bad I feel like I have to if I want to get pressure without blitzing.
    6) I'm pretty sure they've fixed the bugs, or at least they have a work-around.
    7) recruiting feels fine but idk, don't usually pay too much attention to the cpu
    8) feels arcardey compared to madden? I agree there's too many big hits in NCAA, but the animations in madden this year are ridiculous lol. I only played the pre-release but the animations were just awful. I'd see my HB get hit by a lineman and watch both fly back 5 yards. Or a receiver get hit on a slant by 2 defenders and watch all 3 players fly 10 yards the other way.

There's issues with Madden as well. Like I said, people have wanted a Madden on the same level as NCAA for a while so that's why so many people have jumped off NCAA...kinda lame imo, it's killing most NPLs.

14. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

My biggest complaint, and what I think is the real problem with zone coverage, is the horrible d-line play. Any zone can be beat if the QB has enough time, and because the front four almost never get any pressure the QB always has time. That seems like an easy fix with a patch, but nothing has changed. Seeing WR's run streaks 60 yards down field and then come back to an easy catch 40 yards down field while the QB stands in the pocket for 10-15 seconds is ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gyrene76

oh man, i hate when i have covered the receivers for 7 seconds and then the receiver runs to open spot for a 30+ yard gain.

16. QBKILLAR

QBKILLAR If you only win one, please let it be Ole Miss.

Zone d is my big complaint also. Can't figure out why they can't just patch this but they don't really seem interested in doing so and I think people start to lose interest. Seems like they get d right one year and then screw it up the next. 10 was good 11 was the worst I've ever saw. 12 came back around and now on 13 here we go again.

17. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

The CPU sucks at recruiting.

Case in point. I just joined the Bump 'N Run league mid season as Louisville. I have no idea how the CPU was doing so poorly in recruiting. There are quite a few team needs and the CPU actually did put guys on the board to fill those needs, but they were about 900 pts behind on most of the guys on the board in week 4. I ended up removing all but 7 of the CPUs targets because they were so far behind.
    When I went and looked up players who were interested in Louisville there were quite a few solid 4 star players, some who met team needs, just sitting there unrecruited with Louisvilly #1.

I'm not sure how they program the logic for how the AI chooses targets. It doesn't seem like they were that bad in previous years though.

This leads to recruiting being too easy for human players since the AI is inept at it.

18. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

I think the CPU possibly targets a set amount of guys, and when those guys commit, they "jump back into the pool" So to speak. Yeah, it's a problem though when they don't realize they don't have a chance and users can, so the users can dip back in and scoop up those unrecruited players easily.

At least that's my take on it. I don't think it's unrealistic, but the way the CPU handles it is wrong.

19. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

So basically the AI needs to have a cutoff for when they drop someone that is before the player commits elsewhere.

My personal point of no return is usually 400-500 depending on the fit of the recruit and who I'm competing with.

20. Gyrene76

Yeah, that's about where I do it as well.

21. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Haha! I got inside recruiting strategy from a Premier member!! J/K

22. Gyrene76

Who might that be?

We have a TSO Recruiting Guru?

If so, we need to make that their Signature :)

23. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

I would totally read that thread.

24. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I haven't played this years release. But this doesnt surprise me at all. I think this game has gone downhill every release for the last 5-6 releases. That's a lot of why I didn't buy it this year. There was every reason to believe it would be a perfectly good piece of crap.

25. Gyrene76

I had no idea you didn't buy it. It definitely needs work. I guess I'm in the minority that's it's still my favorite game even now; however, if things don't get better than it'll definitely be a problem, as it already is.