What is up with all the super cpuing?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by carolinaeasy, Sep 7, 2011.

1. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I got torched today by Vanderbilt at their place. My defense has been solid not as good as last year, but still solid. Today I gave up 300+ in the air to a 74 rated QB who was a scrambler. He went 25 of 30 for over 300, and the RB went for 196 yards rushing against me. I never ran blitzes and stayed in safe zones trying to force them to make 12 play drives to score (a great strategy against a 74 rated qb) didn't happen. This has happened to me twice now, the first time against Aaron Murray at Georgia I understood, but a 74? Wow.

Is anyone else facing this pattern?

DISCLAIMER: This is a not a bitch fest about the sliders, I like them. I think this might be a EA tweak this year where people play unreal out of the blue.

2. bdub

bdub Walk On

It doesn't seem like QB ratings have a huge effect on the CPU this year. They all pass lights out on me.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I've had the same trouble. Not sure what to do about it, though.

4. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Only trouble I've had was really yesterday against the spread option/hurry up against that blazing fast QB from Nebraska.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

It seems like the CPU either comes out in "I'm going to win" mode or "I'm going to roll over and throw 5 picks" mode. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. I wish it was more consistent, but I think this is the best we're going to get.

6. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I've had a game or two whereby my team just didn't seem to show up. (Dropped passes, muffed punt returns, holding penalties, broken coverages, etc.), but I've yet to feel "super computer'd" by an opponent's offense. Well, maybe against Stanford last year, but we're talkin' about Andrew Luck. ;-)

7. Big D

Big D Walk On

We are in a conundrum here. In all honesty, we are beating the CPU way more than our teams would in real life. But the stats that we are seeing are a bit ridiculous (OSU QB passed for 500 on me in their loss. . .Stanford puts up 73 on my and 800 yards of offense).

I think we are stuck.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Overall, stats are relatively normal. I typically defend the run much better than the pass, but my pass defense is still in the middle somewhere when ranked against other user and cpu teams. Now, I get lit up here and there, and probably more than I would in real life, but "fixing" that would lead to even bigger blowouts than we now experience.

We could up the CPU run and drop the CPU pass (using any number of slider combos) but as long as we're on Heisman, the CPU is simply going to make plays. Your guys will miss coverages and blow assignments, and the CPU will supercatch or bust a dozen tackles to keep it close. Catch-up AI is part of every level - the higher we go, the more is plays a role. What we are getting is exactly what we signed up for, I think. Still, I agree that it gets annoying at times. I especially hate when I put in my 2nd team late only to see the CPU put their 1st string in and go the length of the field in two plays - then get the onside kick. Enough should be enough sometimes.

9. John Crow

John Crow Walk On

[quote=".... I especially hate when I put in my 2nd team late only to see the CPU put their 1st string in and go the length of the field in two plays - then get the onside kick. Enough should be enough sometimes.[/quote]

I can't seem to find a chance to put my second team in. I had a two TD lead against Tennessee and if I held them then I was going to substitute. Well you know the rest of the story. They pulled within a TD so I had to stick with my starters. I would like to get my 3rd string RB in some but can't seem to make it happen.

10. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Everytime I put my second string RB in the game he fumbles! I have to almost have a 2 touchdown lead to feel safe about getting him a touch, and the thing is he is a pretty decent rated RB.

11. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

Do you use the conservative break tackles game plan setting? That seems to eliminate 99% of the fumbles for me.

12. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

No I don't use anything.

13. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

Conservative pass catching and conservative break tackles. Bet the farm on it.

I like to use aggressive pass D as well so that my guys don't try to swat would-be INTs that are thrown directly into their numbers.

14. bdub

bdub Walk On

I used to use aggressive pass d but people I played kept crying about it so I stopped.

15. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Aggressive pass def is garbage. Period.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It should be prone to big gains in PA and double moves (like the slant-n-go) but it isn't. The CPU, however, torches me when I have it on, since they always make the right read and know who beat the coverage. Users just can't see and react with the same speed. But I really hate the floating and the sudden changes in direction. Our guys have to plant, stop, and reverse direction. The CPU just does so without losing any momentum. Just doesn't look right. Aggressive pass D should mean they jump routes and leave coverage early to defend against the run, and the counter should be PA and the ability to go over the top. I think they just screwed up the balance is all.

For example - guy jumps a snap, I fake snap and get five yards. Guy strips, I change a setting and hit R1, guy misses the tackle or grabs the mask. What's the counter to aggressive pass D? It just seems too random and outside the users ability to control, so we have to just react to it after the snap. Me no like.

17. bdub

bdub Walk On

Having your db swat a ball down that hits him in the numbers is garbage, also I have never seen a pick on aggressive d that wouldn't have at least gotten knocked down on normal pass d. I also have had guys get huge gains because my guy went for the pick so there is a trade off.

18. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Ehhh oh well... Agree to disagree.. Just don't like it at all.

19. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I've never been against aggressive pass defense (I use it myself), but I do believe that it sometimes leads to unrealistic interceptions occurring.

20. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

I've seen it where the defender goes for the pick and misses and the offense scores. I wont say that I think it's 100% balanced (like jumping the snap), but it does make your defenders play for the INT. We don't all need to agree as long as we know what the rules are. As far as I know, this is legit in our OLD.

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

We can use it, and I have (got 2 late picks against Goose last year using it), but I think it's overpowered. Coin-flipping between a score and a turnover is not the balance I was hoping for - I'd like a 50-50 that has a real cost associated. If I go 2 deep safeties, play aggressive D, then the most I get burned for is a first down. Turn tackling and strip to conservative to ensure a safe tackle, and I can jump routes all day. The CPU beats it up, but I don't think we do.

Smooth and I agreed pre-kick not to use it, and I was fine with that. We'll probably keep doing so. But I'm not asking anyone else to change things up. You guys do what you want, and if we come to a consensus about it, we'll put a rule in. But we're not there yet.