What is your ideal QB?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Masler, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

Since we asked about HB's, lets see about QB's. Are you happy with your starter or do you prefer someone with a different style?

Having Kirk Cousins, I am pretty pleased with him but he's only going to be around for one year. After that I have Andrew Maxwell but he hasn't seen enough significant playing time to really give me confidence. I like someone who has confidence in the pocket but can escape pressure if needed, IE with high acceleration but doesn't really need speed, the faster he can get away from pressure is better than speed IMO.

When it comes to an arm, I like a QB with accuracy over a bomber. If he can sneak in those passes or hit a guy in double coverage, then I am extremely happy. Doesn't hurt if he can launch a pass though.

Also, awareness I've noticed in this years game, does have an impact more than ever. If it's low the QB doesn't get away from pressure as fast and overthrows passes quite a bit. mid to high 70s is ideal for me.

2. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Well, honestly, I don't really worry about my QB (not to kill the thread, just giving my thoughts and how I go about). I rely on a good running game and my defense for points..

But, that said, I just want someone who can keep the defense honest. Doesn't need to be spectacular but a nice acceleration rating to escape pressure or get the rollouts when needed from PA or a breakdown in pass blocking.

If he can hit a slant route he will be a golden boy in my offense :cool:

3. Masler

Masler Moderator

[​IMG]

4. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

since when are slant routes cheese? Most basic route there is.

5. Masler

Masler Moderator

There not I'm just messing with you...now if you put your #1 or #2 receiver at the #3 position so they can run slant slot routes, then there are problems.

6. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Shit I hardly ever have 3 WR's on the field haha.

• Like Like x 2
  7. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

My type of QB is a pocket passer with good awareness there is just so much damage you could do with a great accurate passer and great power. He would be able to zip passes between double coverage for some pretty decent gains.

8. Koach Vonner

Koach Vonner Walk On

Great passer who has great touch on the ball. Needs to be mobile. Not fast, but be at least 82 to escape pressure and be a threat to pick up a first down when needed.

SN: As a defensive coach, the easiest teams to plan for are guys who leave players where they always are. When you move guys around (especially a WR) its a nightmare on a defensive staff. Calls for more film, percentages, schemes, and tendencies. I dont think that's cheese. That's good coaching by an OC

9. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Right but if you could coach your DB's to find that #1 WR then it wouldn't be cheesy, but thats just abusing shitty defensive AI by moving them around.

10. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Yeah in reality it isn't cheese, but in game it is because for some reason the NCAA staff won't add the assignment feature Madden has had for years

11. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

I prefer the Scrambler/Pocket Passer hybrid QBs(McNabb, Tyrod Taylor, Troy Smith, etc.) it opens up so much for your offense when you can add in some zone reads and option plays as well as also be dangerous when you drop back to pass.

12. ctvolfan

ctvolfan Vol for Life!!

Im a lot like Kasper I rely more on a good running back to carry my team rather than a QB. I do like a balanced QB that can get the first downs on the ground or through the air. Really needs to be able to have good pocket awareness.

13. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

14. fuzzyl0gic

We have a lot of the same favorite players, lol. Check out the video ^^^.

15. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

I posted both of those vids in the countdown to '12 thread for 5 (y). Taylor may possibly be my favorite Hokie ever. He is definitely up there with Vick for best QB

16. fuzzyl0gic

Yeah, same here.

17. Koach Vonner

Koach Vonner Walk On

You can try and coach your DB's all you want too but it's still a bitch to gameplan for because you know as well as I know you gotta change up what you do (Man vs Zone). I had to game plan against Mike Davis, Rex Burkhead, and Robert Griffith. Davis JR year and Griffith were easier. Beat Davis his JR year (5 catches 35 yds). However, SR year was different. Their staff got smart and moved him around from the the no huddle. Not to mention he had Joe Powell (OU). They got this from Plano who beat them in the State Semi the year before. Plano moved Burkead everywhere from the No-Huddle Spread. Needless to say they kicked our ass. This past season we did that with Jakeem Grant (Texas Tech) and Ja'Corey Shepard (Kansas), we were one game from the Big Dance in Texas. It's great strategy cause you aren't gonna man the whole game. If you do, you DBs wear down. Not a trained spread (NASCAR, correct term) offense.
    SN: We mentioned the AI (defense). That's why no matter how hard they try, they can never make a video game that has EVaeRYTHING correct. There's to much that goes on behind the scenes in real football

18. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

Perfect QB for me has a fast release and a high accuracy rating. Throw power is a plus but the main thing is that he's gotta be able to thread the needle. Could care less about mobility.

19. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

I agree, but I wish they would code the AI a little better sometimes so that it would create more opportunities for creative strategies

20. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I don't really worry about mobility, just the ability to "extend" plays and buy more time int he pocked when needed. I feel like a dirty cheesy whore when I scramble for first downs (doesn't mean I don't do it, but I hate it when I do)

21. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

So if your rushed you wouldn't scramble you would take a sack?

22. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

No I would try to avoid the rush and find the open receiver because someone will beat their man if there is a blitz on.

23. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Sheesh, maybe it is from watching VT QBs for too long, but if everything breaks down and my QB has the ability I am taking off lol

24. Masler

Masler Moderator

If the pressure is there, then hell yea take off

25. Koach Vonner

Koach Vonner Walk On

If I get pressured I'm taking off too. However i try not to make it a habit. Plus the QBs fumble to much when running. Everytime my QB gets hit while running my but puckers up!! Lol.