What kind of Offense/Defense are you going to run?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by fuzzyl0gic, Jun 27, 2011.

1. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

I stole this idea from another league, but I thought it would be a good discussion. Do you plan on rolling with the system your team currently uses, or are you going to try something else? Do you have any idea who your go-to guys will be yet?

I will stick with the pro-style at UNC, but I'm not sure about playbooks yet. I will also try using the 4-3 defense, so I won't be veering away much. I'm not sure how EA will rate UNC's sophomore starting QB, but I'm sure Ryan Houston will be a beast at HB. I will have a nice power run game.

2. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Going to run a spread at Purdue and stick with the 4-3. Wonder what they will rate the QB's, Rob Marve and Rob Henry..kind of scared because they may rate them low, but that's ok once Henry is able to throw the ball accurately he is going to be a dangerous S.O.B. Our defense is going to be the biggest challenge of our life in the beginning.

3. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

I like the pro style and I know Wisco will be a good fit for it (although I haven't scouted this years team). Probably going to run a 4-3 depending on what the personnel look like.

4. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

It depends, are we allowing custom pbs? Cause with those I really want to combine the Pistol sets with some of the Shotgun Wing sets because the two formation sets are so similar that it would make for a very balanced attack.

If not it will depend on what Hawaii's PB looks like, if it is mostly Pistol RNS like they ran last year than I will use that, either way I want to incorporate a whole lot of pistol

5. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

My offense will be beased off the I formation, weather I can make a custom one varies with fuzzys decision-- but I really like WKU's playbook which I use in both my dynasties.

Defensively I will always be a 4-3 man, always. Depending on how this years "Peso" man is rated by EA I could run that set alot. (essentially Nickel with a Safety/Linebacker Hybrid playing the nickel spot. Eric Hagg was a monster last year for UNL at the spot and Austin Cassidy looks to fill his shoes this fall).

6. Masler

Masler Moderator

Damn Fuzzy you stole my idea, was here at working thinking about posting something like this. Great minds think alike

Offense: MSU has a variety of weapons on offense. I will use Cousins to his fullest. The three headed monster known as the Full House will play a major roll in my attempt to repeat as B1G Champs. There are no standouts at receiver but as a group they are very dangerous. I will utilize my TEMs to their fullest as well, I have always enjoyed throwing to them and I dont see that changing now.

Defense: Probably going to run the 4-3 as usual. A couple holes are left with Rucker and Jones leaving but I am not really concerned due to our D Line having major potential. Once again I shall beef up my front 7 as I have before while trying to get a solid secondary. I hope it doesnt take 8 seasons this time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Also, for defense it is all about the 4-2-5

8. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

You have that badass Sophomore Leveon Bell as well!

9. Masler

Masler Moderator

He is part of the full house. Baker is #4, Bell is #24 and Caper is #22

10. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

And you got yourself a great core of tight ends man

11. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I am not meaning to be confrontational, but are we allowing that formation for '12? I know a lot of leagues I've been in don't allow it, at least as a "base" defense.

12. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Why not? It is a legit base defense that has a multitude of schemes. Not attacking you, just wondering why it isn't allowed in leagues when it has been a major part of the college football landscape in recent years.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ctvolfan

ctvolfan Vol for Life!!

I have not checked out NC State's playbook yet. In years past I have just used whatever team I am controlling's playbook. I have enjoyed using LSU and WKU playbooks as well.

As far as defense goes I am a straight 4-3 guy. The 3-4 seems to be a good defense in the real game but I can not translate that to the sticks.

14. fuzzyl0gic

There is nothing wrong with the formation itself, but in NCAA, the 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 base formations can be easily abused. I will elaborate. When you use these formations, you can get some really unrealistic pressure/numbers with the safeties if you're using things like 'show blitz' every play. It doesn't have many weaknesses either; if abused probably, the run game and deep passes can get shut down when there is no way they would in real life (DBs penetrating the O-line like they're swiss cheese).

Like any 'cheese' with this game, it's all about intention. If you're mixing up your play-calling, and not abusing things like show-blitz, it shouldn't be a problem. These defenses just lend themselves a lot more easily to cheese than the the 4-3 and 3-4, at least the way they're implemented in the game (go play some ranked games against cheesers and you'll see it).

• Like Like x 1
  15. fuzzyl0gic

I don't know how I feel about custom playbooks yet. I will have a final verdict after getting my hands on the game, and discussing it with other commishes, and my co-commish.

16. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

This is how I feel too RyanC . In my eyes- its the same reason we aren't allowed to play SS's at OLB.

17. Koach Vonner

Koach Vonner Walk On

Well just throwing in my two cents as the "new guy".
    I really hope we allow Custom Playbooks. Just look at the National Championship game and see how Auburn uses multiple sets. If not I will have to search again for that perfect playbooks.

Defense I typically use the 3-3-5 but that's because that's the scheme I coach in and know a lot about it (4 yrs now) and enjoy it. However for the league ill probably run a 4-3

18. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Offensive playbooks in this game have multiple sets.. hell use Auburns.

and yes I would strongly prefer people in the league use a 4-3 or 3-4... unless the AI is better and the 3-3-5 and 4-2-5 aren't as dominant

19. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Yeah multiple sets isn't the best argument for custom pbs lol.

My big thing is the base playbooks, while they have some plays that fit into the offense and make sense, they also have way too many plays that when putting together a scheme you would never use. For example the Run and Shoot playbooks have so many plays that just aren't a part of the RNS scheme. I want to finally be able to have a pb that makes sense instead of having to scroll through a bunch of fluff to find scheme-related plays.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

This^^

I love WKU's because it has a lot of I formation which I love, and I'd love to able to swap out the Ace stuff I don't use for more Strong or Weak I formations so I have more then the base out of those sets. Also I never use the 5wr under center formation they have so I'd scrap that.

Personally, I am for custom PB's.. but they need to be throughly reviews by everyone imo, not just commish.

21. Koach Vonner

Koach Vonner Walk On

Maybe I worded it wrong. But perfect example is using 5 WR sets under center. That's not a personal favorite of mine either. But its in a playbook I use. Same for all Single Back running formations.

22. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

After pumping numerous hours into the demo, I will say that the 4-3 will probably be my go to playbook for defense now. I am loving it with the zone coverage improvements.