What kind of offense/defense do you plan on running?

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Dru50, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

And which guys do you see as your go-to players on both sides of the ball?

Just some more food for discussion (and a chance to continue the smack talk) to keep things interesting.

2. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

well I will start this off. I currently like running with the Arkansas playbook. It has a good mixture of passing plays and running plays. However, if my offensive line is suspect and I expect it will be, I may say hello to an air raid offense a la Texas Tech. I know I have a solid quarterback, good receivers so be ready for me to challenge the WSU throwing records. My defense will be 4-3. I have basically ran this defense this year in all my dynasties. I feel comfortable with this defense

3. Dru50

For USC, I will likely be moving the offense to more of a spread passing look with a mix of shotgun and single back sets to take advantage of the having possibly the 3rd best QB in the country, the talent at WR (So's Robert Woods and Markeith Ambles, Fr Kyle Prater and Jr Brice Butler) and the speed in the backfield (DJ Morgan and Dillon Baxter). Mix in a serious receiving threat at TE in Grimble and I'll be very disappointed if this offense isn't top 5 in the nation next season.

On defense, I'd love to run the 3-4 (as I came to really enjoy that set in T3 late in my run there) but I'll likely start with a 4-3 since that fits the talent more. My initial recruiting year or two I'll be looking to try and bring in some big D-linemen that fit the 3-4 scheme better. The key to the defense is likely DE/DT Armond Armstead. If his injury issues don't keep him off the roster he should be a beast along the line.

4. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

The Irish will probably wind up running a "Multiple" offensive attack (thats allowed right). With a pro style lean that will focus on getting the ball out of the Qb's hands and to the playmakers on the outside like Michael Floyd (hes back right?) and speedy slot man Theo Riddick. The Mantra for our offense will be "flexibility".

On defense we will run the 4-3 but wont will show a ton of nickel as well.

(Sorry dont really know much about the Irish roster lol, so im still up in the air)

5. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

If I run the pistol, please shot me!!! I don't know what im going to do with the Bruins yet. I really try and stay true to what they run in real life but with the pistol, I have issues. I like the ground and pound, make you stop the run. I don't see that changing with 12. I like to use a FB which may be an issue with the current UCLA roster. Once I get a look at the rosters, I can make a better choice. But i'll be looking to take the Bruins more to a power running team that plays defense. But if I have to throw, I'd like to have a QB that can complete a pass or 2 also.

In 11 Ive used the UCLA and LSU playbooks the most. Dabbled with Nebraska's and FAU's as well. Air Raid is just not my thing so don't look for that from the Bruins.

6. gowazzucougs

When I was doing my research on USC, I read that the Trojans may move Grimble to WR because he is such a threat as a receiver.

7. gowazzucougs

If the pistol runs like it did this year, you should just make the statement that the pistol is being thrown out the window. The read option never really worked. When I tried to run it, I would say 9 out of 10 times when my qb kept it, he got stuffed. I probably broke three really big runs with that offense.

8. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Yeah it sucks...I always get stuffed on that read option.

9. gowazzucougs

I think whatever you run should be successful. I think the ND offense is going to put up some points this year

10. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

Thats what im hoping for lol

11. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Power O offense - probably similar to what you see out of Wisconsin

Defense - it's truly based on personnel.

12. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

On offense I am going to explore Cal's PB and Pitt's (my favorite from 11 of the 4 or 5 I tried out). Either way adding a few sets to either one should allow for a good balance of run and pass, while also giving me plenty of playmaker ability.

Our defense will be called the MOB-4, mainly because it's going to feature the Middle and Outside linebackers out of the 3-4 look. Plenty of speed and playmaking ability as long as our front 3 can occupy some blockers. We were considering jumping into a 4-3, but how can you argue with the production of the #1 defense in the Pac-12 last season (including the 2 new members), so we kept the D-Coordinator.

13. Dru50

I really liked the Cal playbook in 2011, great for a power running team looking to control the ball, plus it has my favorite running play of all time (off tackle out of the strong 2 TE set). If you like the 3-4 Cal was a great choice, as they are one of the few college teams that specialize in that defensive formation.

14. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I plan on running multiple offense for first few seasons with Michigan until I get a real big10 roster , probably some spread / option junk for a while until Robinson and those skinny HB's are gone, something similar to the Texas playbook on NCAA11 , then you can plan on seeing a lot of I-form and two TE sets , power run game and play action is my favorite thing to do on offense. On defense I will run a a 4-4-4 and hope not to get penalized :p .... depending on who the Wolverines have on offense I may run a 3-4 , but traditonally I am a 4-3 man.

• Like Like x 1
  15. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Depending on personel, I would like to try a 2 TE no huddle offense, but I doubt I will have the TEs to pull that off. Second choice would be a spread option style primarily out of offset shotgun formations. I also want to try a 2 back 3 wide dedicated PB at some point ( I could never find good one in 2011 ). I also will give fleXbox One a try again to see if they fixed the ai blocking problems cause by Wingbacks. Who knows I could go straight to the fleXbox One.

Defense will be an entirely personel based choice.

16. Jayrah

I did like the 3-4 during the 3 seasons I ran it with Texas A&M in 11, but didn't get the right guys to fit into the line and got over powered in the run game, and didn't have the speed to compete in the secondary against the likes of Texas and OU, so I struggled. At least in the 4-3 I gave myself a chance to slow down the run game. But I think I'll enjoy going back to the 3-4 set.

17. Jayrah

We've decided we can customize our PB right? As long as it fits a specific style and isn't a wild conglomeration?

18. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

The Buckeyes will be staying true to their multiple set offensive attack. Emphasis will be placed on heavy and spread sets. Ace sets will be mixed in as well. If Braxton Miller can emerge as the number 1 guy, he will definitely be a difference maker on O. After that I'm looking for Jamaal Berry to make some big plays with his dynamic mix of speed and power. Jake Stoneburner is also going to be big as he is one of the faster tight ends in the nation.

On defense i'll be running a 4-3 With Etienne Sabino leading the charge at MLB. Nathan Williams will also cause QBs to have nightmares with his skills on the outside as an edge rusher. John Simon will also create havoc on the D-Line as he is one of the top interior rushers in the Big 10.

19. Jayrah

What a sweet name for a fast guy!

20. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

lol yeah i've always gotten a kick out of it too

21. Dru50

Exactamundo.

22. Dru50

Aren't all those guys going to be ineligible? I hear they all got some sweet new tattoos.;)

23. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Lol i left out Soloman Thomas. Btw, will it be preferred that i sit the suspended guys the first 5 games? I'm open to it if i'm asked to.

24. Dru50

That's entirely up to you.

I've been thinking about giving myself some reduced scholarships for the 1st 3 seasons to imitate real life, but I need to see how recruiting in game works to determine how to adjust the 30 scholarship penalty to fit the lower roster sizes in the game vs reality.

25. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Will I get in trouble for practicing too much like Rich Rod? Lol