what plays do you use to stop the pass?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by shadowofanubis66, Mar 17, 2010.

1. shadowofanubis66

shadowofanubis66 Walk On

what plays do you use to stop the pass?

I seem to get shredded lately and can't get off the field at all. The 3-4 seems dually useless in this game to stop the run or pass. It seems everyone has a "niche" play on defense that works for them, usually with me i cover the receivers but get beat in the middle of the field deep on a slant or whatnot.

2. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I would tell you.... but then...you know what I would have to do....

3. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I would tell you.... but then...you know what I would have to do....

4. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I like to play alot of man with a spy in the middle and either control a S or a LB.

If I play cover three I like to take one of the players that is supposed to cover the flat and cover manually in the middle to try and take away the deep slant or post.

In essence I want to make the O throw the ball outside the hash marks.

5. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

When I use 3-4 I usually play safeties in deep zone and CBs man on outside receivers, that's my base for pass D. However, it depends on what my opponent or cpu calls for formation. I also highlight receivers, usually on the side where the TE is. In one dynasty where I use 3-4 defense, my season just ended, I was top top in yards allowed, rushing yards allowed, scoring Defense, and turnover margin. I was top 20 in passing defense.

In 4 user games in that dynasty this season I had a +8 turnover margin. I won 3 of 4 games. The game I lost my lack of team speed killed me on defense and final was 31-24.

6. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I agree with this post. Mainly because every user will throw across the middle alot. If you play against spread offenses try to lock down the middle because almost 90% of their plays are going across the middle.

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Been wanting to reply to this thread for awhile and I know it will sound stupid but I use almost every single play in the playbook depending upon the guy I'm playing against. You never know what people are going to react well or react badly to. A cover 2 blitz out of dime... YOU may crush this defense but somebody else might throw a pick to the flat in a panic. Every play in moderation other than the base plays of course... But don't be afraid to call new plays, just recognize the dangers they present and try to minimize damage.

8. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I can't agree with you more Helli. I think the worst thing you can do against someone who is solid as passing the ball is to assume that any one defense will work long term. If someone knows how to identify the play you are in and knows you are going to run it a majority of the time, that's when you are really in trouble, because then they'll call plays to get guys open in the downfield holes.

In regards to the initial question - if someone is going to throw underneath routes and they have time, they will complete alot of them. I try to solve this by bringing pressure fairly frequently and mixing up the defensive looks. I like to switch between man and zone, call zone blitzes sometimes and create zone blitzes using hotroutes. Even when bringing pressure, I try to keep some safety help over the top, as I'd prefer for force my opponent to grind down the field rather than sending the house and giving up a big play.

To Helli's point, if your opponent is unsure what defense you are bringing, you can usually get them to guess wrong occassionally and throw a bad pass into traffic.

9. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

This (y)

10. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

I use alot of man zone. that way my guys are man coverage and the middle is covered with the 2 guys in the zone. after so much man i will switch to cover 2 to switch it up

11. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

If you are on 360 then I'll help you in a scrimmage. Not tryin to boast, but I think other people will vouch about my defensive skills are top notch.

What are you having trouble with? It depends on who you use on D also.

12. shadowofanubis66

shadowofanubis66 Walk On

i'm on the ps3 unfortunately i do appreciate it though. I have issues defending the "rocket catchers" and playaction passes. It seems when i play the playaction with man defense either the TE or the halfback is always a step ahead of the LB, no matter the SPD difference.

13. KnightNoles

Well you just have to have the timing in switching defenders (O) and then hitting catch (Triangle). This is how you defend it using rocket defense ints.

Depends how well you can use your MLB in cover 1 man also, out of dime, nickel, 4-3 and 3-4.

Depends on how well you can use your SS in cover 1 out of 4-3 and 3-4.

Ill try and find a PS3 copy and see how well I can replicate a defense on the system as I do on 360

14. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Shit I could always use some tips.

15. Dru50

Noles is good on defense, but I think most who have played him would tell you that part of what makes him good is his ability to anticipate patterns and user control a defensive player to make the play on the ball. He's one of the best I've played at doing that, and I'm not sure how much you can teach someone at that. He's money on the sticks, that's for sure.

Shadow, to your point about guarding PA passes to the TE's and backs, I'm assuming the issue you are running into is that you are playing in man coverage in this situation? I can tell you from personal experience that if I'm in say an I-form twin WR look and someone comes out in man coverage, there is about a 40-50% likelihood I'm going to audible to the PA pass. The LB's will almost always bite for a split second on the fake, and then will sometimes get caught up in the wash trying to get back out in coverage.

Let's say you are playing a standard cover 2 man look out of the 4-3 versus the I-form twins look. With the safety help over the top, usually the OLB on the TE side will cover the TE, leaving the MLB to cover the FB out of the backfield. When you run the playfake, the MLB will usually be slowed up by the OLB bumping the TE off the line, which gives the FB time to get to the flat. Unless your opponent has a really slow FB, if the pass is timed right it's an easy 5-8 yard gain.

If you instead were in a blitz look from the 4-3 with no safety help over the top, the read is different. Now, likely the OLB to the TE side will be covering the FB and the S is covering the TE who likely is running a corner route. If your opponent has a good TE and times the throw for when the TE breaks his route, you can usually get an easy completion here as well.

Usually when I'm playing someone who is running alot of twin WR sets, I won't play man for specifically this reason, the reads off the PA pass is easy and very hard to stop.

16. shadowofanubis66

shadowofanubis66 Walk On

So against the Playaction pass it's best to use a zone coverage type of system is what you guys are saying? It's stupid the game has the defenders bite when you are up 14 points and the guy hasn't ran the ball all game.

17. Dru50

That's the trick, zone is more effective than man (generally) in stopping the PA passes to the running backs in the flats, but it can be far less effective than man in stopping PA passes downfield to WR's on crossing routes.

I agree that I wish that the game had some logic included that would cause defenders to only bite on play action if they opposing team has run the ball effectively from a similar look. Instead, to your point, the defense bites on play action even if you are in the 4th quarter up by 40 points and the opposing team hasn't called a run all game.

18. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

[​IMG]

19. KnightNoles

Blaza you my friend are a homo.......

Blaza standing outside of the TF Headquarters....... [​IMG]

20. Koach Vonner

Koach Vonner Walk On

I like to get in some sort of Dime package and make the guy beat my skinny butt DB's. Always bring the house and drop a "LB" or two. Sometime I might a drop a "DE" depending on how fast he is. Its not the soundest strategy against the run game, however if you can get 3 or 4 "DB" flying to the ball carrier, they'll get him down. I have found that I get a lot of sacks this way.

21. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

I hope this is a joke.