What things have you taken (or tried to use) from other players in the league?

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

What things have you taken (or tried to use) from other players in the league?

I guess the question i would use here should be better stated.

What lessons have you learned while playing various opponents in this league... And how did you put them to work for you?

Bruce80: Comes RIGHT AFTER YOU every time. There's nothing cute going on. I definitely learned from Russ how to be more aggressive. Because if I didn't get aggressive against him there was no way I was going to beat him.

MoGriffJr: Got absolutely destroyed the first time we played. I had been trying to spread him out, and use my passing game. It was Anthony Robinson's freshman season. After that game, I realized that even though I had Robinson, I was a runner first who played good defense, not a guy that could win passing the ball. The next two games vs. Mo went a lot easier :D Also, on defense, I knew he was a great passer so I was trying to play him carefully and he still torched me. Again, applied the lesson from Rusty and came right after him the next two times.

BlyGilmore: That it's awfully hard to beat somebody that doesn't make mistakes. I attempted to take the lack of turnovers but I'm still nowhere near as conservative... IMO

definitely learned things from everybody and will add more later but I wanna see what you guys say.

2. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

dunno - tought to say cause i've got a specific style i'm striving for.

one thing i learned from Kinger back in the Madden days was to be almost aggresive with your conservative style, if that makes sense. he used to piss me off because it'd be like 3rd down and 8, you'd figure he has to pass and the bastard would flip a pitch to Stephen Davis and get 9 yards.

i know last year i added a few more wrinkles to my offense after playing you. threw in a bit more motion and misdirection because of how well it worked against me, as well as playing some mental games with your opponent (i.e. they shift to where you're running, you make like you audible, and get them thinking).

my biggest problem early on in these games is it takes me a while to get my passing game going. i'd say by November of last year I was comfortable passing the ball. running i always pickup right away - just comes more natural to me.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I totally know what you mean. Totally.

In my last game against Ramirez last year... I knew it was over when I had a decent lead in the 2nd half... He stopped me for a 2-yard loss on 1st and 10, and I ran it up the middle for a 14-yard gain the next play. I felt like it was an aggressive call even though anybody would say that's beyond conservative, bordering on stupid.

4. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Learned from Helli, JMS and Bruce last year that mistakes will kill you. Can play anyone totally even, but lose a big turnover or make 1 big mistake and that's all she wrote. Unfortunately, I still do these things but atleast now I know how big they are. As soon as I threw that pick6 to JMS last night I said I was going to lose even though the game was only tied.

Learned from Steel that this is a game and it's fun so not to beat yourself up or take it too seriously. That dude got ass raped last year and never once bitched or moaned about it showing true sportsmanship

5. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

LOL, I love the different routes the both of you took to make the same point.

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Yeah VaSteel is the man.....cant wait to get come racing going soon!!

Hard to say here.......everyone here plays sim style so I rarely see anything new.

Mogriff plays an awesome SS/FS.......I try that sometimes.

Helli and Kinger - They are masterminds at playcalling.....after losing to them I felt like I lost a chess match not a football game.

Juggs - I learned to play with confidence as I feel that juggy plays like he is underdog everytime and thats not the case. I go into everygame feeling like If I stick to the plan and execute I cant lose! Also dont dump your shitty team for a better one (*)

Helli - Dont turn the fucking ball over and you will win. *I kind of pushed this theory to the side against jfosh and juggs last year throwing 4 ints and still winning.

Ryno - Don't be afraid to try the option. Fucking Todd Butler!!!

Brucie - don't play with your kids playing dodgeball in front of the TV

VASteel - Stay cool and have fun!

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Were actually making different points. My point was that Steel's game style matches up well with me. Most everybody knows that (at least last year) he was one of the better players... Just had a bad team.

Juggs was making the point that he had a horrible team last year. :D

Unfortunately, dude got worked by Rusty. He's still gonna be a bitch in recruiting though... lol

8. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i learned to simplify in the redzone. It seems like guys playbooks really shrink inside the 20 yard line and they execute flawlessly... i struggle because i don't have a subset of favorite plays that i go to, but that's changing...i want to be more decisive in scoring position.

VASteel has taught me that momentum is a bitch and sometimes she is riding your ass reverse cowboy style.

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

see I played Kinger twice and felt like I knew what he was gonna do especially when he had to pass. I feel that the best playcallers in this league are you, Rusty, and Ryno. You call plays with a bit of a hectic feel to it. I think if you took a deep breath you'd be a little better still. But Rusty and Ryno, I never feel like I know what they are doing next. Fosh said the same thing about me, he said he doesn't try to predict what I'm gonna do at all. edit: I have to add Ramirez he is tough with the playcalling. Real tough

Juggs is up there too but it seems like he runs a lot of routes at the same depth and loves PA a little too much... Not only gets more sacks but puts pressure on you to make a quick decision.

10. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

The pass rush is furious this year when blitzing......I like!

11. jfosh

jfosh Super

Ive learned from the league overall that you cant make turnovers. Be patient and stick with it.

I agree with you Ryno on the Redzone. To compound that I really like to give the ball away down there.

I think someone told me fieldgoals dont win fucking games.

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Let's see here...

I learned from fosh that a team full of speed doesn't really do much...depends who is playing with them ;)...seriously, I learned from Foshe to build a defense up, because anyone can play offense...it's those who actually know how to stop the other guy from scoring that counts.

Steel- That you don't need a powerhouse team to be effective. If you have a plan and execute, you will keep yourself in the game. He's always been the type to generally stick to a plan and see how it goes in the end. Many like to derive from a gameplan when things go bad. Patience is a virtue.

Helli- Execution is key...you don't need the fastest or strongest but those with a smart mind will suceed.

13. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Last year when I lost I found that the other guy got lucky.

We I won it was great play calling and stick skill.

14. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Seriously though.

I take alot from Helli, he is patient to the extreme. You may confuse him for awile but he will figure it out.

I took some of what Kinger and Ryno did when I played them and added it to my O, it didnt work as well for me.

Jfosh has some things on O that I really liked also.

15. VaSteelah

VaSteelah Swollen Member

Bruce: We have only played twice I believe. Great games even though the scores don't tell the story. His defense frustrates the shit outta me,lol. Also he has this uncanny ability to break my ankles with out even making a move. (see the highlight from our last game,lol)
    What I have learned from our games is, you cannot make any mistakes or you will pay.

Helli: We always have interesting games. Mostly in the side league. I think we had to have broken a record for combined Interceptions.
    His offense pisses me of to no end,lol.

JMS: hmmmmm, I have only beat him once, but then he had to bring his better half into the mix. He has awesome stick skills and beaks my ankles on a consistant basis. Also his ability to make user catches is awesome.

Kinger: We seem to have split our games last season. I'd go to Texas and get stomped, then He'd come to OK Stake and I would barely pull off a win.
    What ive learned is the 2nd half of a game is a completely different story when you are the away team.

Juggs: Always entertaining games, When I hear that mic click off, I know He's pissed at something,lol. His all around game is my Demon,lol. I think i've only beat you once and I had the far superior team and it was still close.

Mo: His pass coverage skill, and Pocket presense is God Like.
    What i've learned; Don't throw his way.

Ryno: We have had some classic games. Like you said earlier, MOMENTUM!!
    Always comes with a stout gameplan.

Foshe: We havent played yet but I expect the expierence to be no different than the rest of the league. Just solid all around gameplay.

Ramirez: See above. But the one thing I have learned through looking at stats. PASS RUSH!!! I am dreading the day we face off,lol.

All in all, I have learned a ton from all of you. Before the Tradition, I never really was much of an "Online sports player" although I did have a stint back in the Sega Genesis X-Band days. I was more into competitive computer FPS games, Soldier of Fortune (actually made it to 96th in the world) Counter Strike etc..