What was the reasoning behind your choice of schemes?

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Timpegoose, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I thought this would be a fairly interesting thread to get some insight into the influences of the offenses and defenses we run. I'm sure a lot of people will have there's modeled after their favorite team, and others will be modeled over what they think is most effective with their personnel.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Defensively, my scheme is fairly boring. I just stuck with the default Bengals and hoped it was good. Its worked fairly well for me so far.

My offensive scheme is a little more interesting. I've enjoyed watching West Coast teams play ever since the Raiders of the early 2000's, and really wanted to replicate that style of play. I hadn't really done a whole lot of research into it until now, but I definitely think I have the personnel to do it, and once I learn some more of the ins and outs I think this team could be really effective. I also think I have a fairly similar team at the skill positions as those old Raiders teams, so hopefully I can do a decent job of replicating that offense.

Andy Dalton and Rich Gannon are pretty similar in terms of skill set, but obviously not age. Both accurate with the short ball, and struggle a bit to throw deep with a bit of a noodle arm. Dalton doesn't have that goofy delivery Gannon did though.

Bernard Scott and Danny Woodhead can sort of combine to play the role of Charlie Garner. Scott is shifty out of the backfield, and picks up solid yards if he gets some space. Woodhead has the hands and route running ability Garner did. I didn't realize that he caught 91 passes that year they went to the Super Bowl. Woodhead has that capability.

No way I can compare Mo Sanu to Tim Brown.... But AJ Green can be as productive as Rice was in this offense. Given time Sanu could be up there with the way Brown played at that stage of his career, but he still needs to develop some route running. Ben Tate compares very well to Jerry Porter though. The speedster in the slot to stretch the field and make room for Green and Sanu to work underneath. Although Porter's longest catch that year was only 36 yards, I feel like I remember him always being a threat to stretch the field. Maybe my memory is failing me though :p

With all of the WR options the Raiders had that year, Doug Jolley didn't get to see a whole lot of the ball. This is where I differ most from that team. Gresham will be a big part of my offense for years to come.

Now if only I can have half of the success they did offensively I think I'll have an ok team this year :p Right now my run/pass ratio is a little much on the run side, but that will probably start adjusting now that I know it is.

3. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Defensively it was an easy choice: I'm a huge fan of smartfootball and Chris Brown's articles on Saban and Le Beau's zone blitzing schemes made it so that I wanted to run that stay of D in TMFL. The fact that the Chiefs were already loaded with two great pass-rushing OLBs in Hali and Houston, it was a no-brainer.

Offenseively: I started off with a zone-running scheme in year 1 and then flipped to Washington's zone/spread combo when I got Vick. I still run that style of offense but with Vick having such a better arm compared to Cassel, my scheme is now a balanced offense. I really like Washington's playbook and the versatility it brings me. Charles attacking the defense's edge, then running up the middle with Vick a constant threat to go over the top or take off himself. I think even when Vick departs, I'm going to be running the same style of offense, just with a slower QB. (Unless I can strike gold, ala Stacey Knight).

4. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Growing up my high school, Texas A&M, and the Dallas Cowboys all ran the same type of grind it out football. Heavy dose of run stepping up the PA and mainly medium ranged throws. Later in life I started watching Wisconsin and I fell in love with their power running game so that is where my offense came from. Pound the rock, throw from under center, and set up the big play with PA. Just like you Timpe I loved watching West Coast teams even though I hate every team except the Cowboys!

Defensively I have always like the 34. I do not know why because none of my favorite teams ran it except the current Dallas Cowboys. I have had tremendous success with it and I always feel I am giving up way too much space when running the 43.

Very cool idea Timpegoose!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Real life Lions.

Defense: Get front 4 pressure, if not get raped in out shitty secondary

Offense: Get CJ vertical to force as much attention as possible. Make other receivers get 1 on 1 coverage and beat it underneath. Try to run the ball and fail because we have no run blocking O-line just like the real lions.

• Like Like x 2
  6. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

Miami Dolphins

Offense: I picked the west coast offense because it is a zone based offense that is very tough to defend. I run Washington playbook because much of what we run in real life is zone based and that was as close as I could get to comfortable with the scheme.

Defense: I run the 4-3 because I play bend but dont break defense. Also The Dolphins had very good DL when we started so it made my decision very easy

7. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Offense :

I picked the 'Spread' if only to confuse my opponents. The playbook has a lot of balanced sets, but being able to put speed on the outside will hopefully detract from pressure to my offensive line. What I lack in stick skills, I try to make up for in strategy. The 'spread' allows me to do that, more importantly, my position schemes fit my style of play calling.

Defense :

I've always been a fan of the 3-4, and always used it. But, being a Cowboys fan, I'd stare in amazement at what Jim Johnson did with the 4-3. So, I've carried that tradition over to the TMFL. I fast 4-3, that is 'attacking' but leans mostly on misdirection. Keeping running backs inside the hashes, receivers outside the numbers, so on and so forth. I don't want to ever show the same look twice against anyone I play, so while it might look like a basic Cover-2, Cover-3 and so on and so forth, it won't be.

8. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Offense:

I went with balanced, and I use Carolina's pb and try to emulate their real life offense. It's almost west coast, but throw in some read options, wildcat packages, and a bit more of a vertical passing game. When I'm staying true to mixing it up, it creates headaches for defenses. This is why I like this style, and I have the roster to implement it.

Defense:

Attacking 3-4. I'm still transitioning to this defense, but I've always been a fan of the 3-4. You can generate a lot of pressure and really confuse offenses with some of the zone schemes.

9. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Offense: Minnisota

Basically picked it because I figured it would give me the best fit for my team. Good mix of zone runs, outside runs, and down hill runs to take advantage of Adrian. Also has nice simple passing plays so I can keep it simple for Webb.

Defense: 4-3

Always been a firm believer in the 4-3.. it's what I know how to run in video games and like to think I can be fairly effective with it.

10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Don't want to make a new thread, so can anyone tell me the answer to the following?

Do I see players as they would rate in my scheme when I am looking at other teams' rosters, or are those ratings for that teams scheme?

11. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

Your scheme I believe.

12. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I don't know. sawemoff - whats Sheppard rated for you?

13. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

He is rated 80 OVR for me it looks like

14. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Then yes - it shows the player in your scheme.

15. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

My story is very similar with offense. In high school, I grew up watching and learning about different power schemes. Then, i see Wisconsin being successful with their run-first, run-second mentality while Illinois is struggling with everything.

However, i'm in the exact opposite frame of mind in terms of defense. I like to run the 4-3, because I feel i give up way too much space on the interior with the 3-4.

16. Baron

Wait, wait, wait. You're telling me that THOUGHT goes into your offense and defense?

17. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Well, they don't make 3 sided coins for the play-call screen.... so yes. That's what I'm telling you.

18. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

That's definitely a problem with the 34 & if you dont have athletic ILBs you are SOL trying to stop anything. Lol With Bruce Carter and Sean Lee is progressing they are definitely just not there yet in the game. IRL however they are pretty damn good!

19. Baron

... Shocking.

Derrick Johnson and Bradie James FTW!

20. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

*still and not is

21. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Dont make me throw up

22. Baron

I don't know why you'd do that, the guy has been money for me so far this season.

23. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Haha I'm not talking about in the game I'm talking about real life.

• Like Like x 1
  24. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Just ran the default. It's my style. I like being balanced on offense, and being aggressive with my pass rushers on defense.

Balanced, AGG 4-3

25. Baron

FIFY

• Like Like x 1