What's a Top Hitter Cost?

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by ty5oke, Dec 31, 2013.

1. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Looking at top 50 hitters by WAR since 2024...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Coming in first on the list is SS Ramon Ocampo with 12.5 WAR over the past 2+ years. At the time of the trade Bondzai was highly criticized for trading away a MVP-caliber player, but since the move Ocampo has mustered ~2.0 WAR in more than a year of time for NeuroticTruth. The SS and his wrecked history has spent about 7 weeks on the shelf this year and still has 25M+ left on his contract.

Cost: 31 year old David Allain (134 OPS+, 1.3 WAR this year) came over as a throw-in, SP prospect Sosa (looks to be a bust, basically 1:1 K:BB), 22 yr old C Bill Jacobs (might make it as a backup C) and the prize prospect SS Sean “Headcase” Beck (at 22 yrs old, looks to be a bust candidate, only managing .187 AVG in AA this year)

My Take: I still would take the SD side on this deal. Ocampo still plays above average defense at SS and even better at 3B. Even without the bat being what it once was, he’s still a nice SS to have and still could bounce back the next 2 years. The package that KC got back doesn’t look to me that it will ever produce anything for the ML Club.

[​IMG]
    The great Huck Donahue, one of the best in Dugout history, spent 2 seasons in SD by putting up 9.7 WAR. He hit the FA market after the ‘24 season and ryalaman quickly outbid everyone to get one of the best bats in history. For some reason, he has liked to keep him at SS despite the -27 ZR at the position. Even so, his bat is still one of the best and has been one of the most consistent hitters in the league (> 120 OPS+ for 12 years straight)

Cost: 5/118M

My Take: 22M per year for a top 3 bat in league history still looks like a solid deal. The only concern is the length of the deal (going to age 38 season) but Huck has maintained his numbers since joining Baltimore and he may be the next Pablo Sandoval.

[​IMG]
    Wesley makes the list at #25 largely due to his amazing contract year in 2025 when he hit for .370 wOBA, played a very good CF and totaled 6.8 WAR. BigSmooth33 must of seen something in Wesley when trading for him from Philly(Masler ) for 3 scrubs. Washington then hit the market after ‘25 season and Colorado (HAL9100 ) came with some serious dough.

Cost: MIL-PHI Trade - 3 scrubs (MIL clearly wins in a landslide), Colorado FA contract (9/198M)

My Take: BigSmooth33 benefited greatly from a year of Washington, a MVP type season for 3 nobody’s and then letting him walk for an extra draft pick. Time will tell on the Colorado deal, this is a guy who has averaged ~2.0 WAR before his breakout year and 9 years is a long time for anything to happen. While the spacious CF in Coors has shown some vulnerability in his defense the offense has improved this year with a .400 wOBA.

[​IMG]
    The legendary PANDA!! Pablo has aged better than anyone in the Dugout history and has consistently been a top hitter in the league. Hits the list at #27 largely due to his ‘24 season of 6.5 WAR, JFace907 took a chance last year in attempting to make the playoffs and sent a top prospect for a few months of the Panda’s services. Unfortunately, the Panda never enjoyed his time in Cleveland (only 25 games, .315 wOBA) and was allowed to walk following the year. In a surprise move the perennial cellar dweller Angels took a flyer on the 39 year old, while not the All-Star/MVP hitter he was in houston, Pablo has held his own in LA (.358 wOBA, 127 OPS+)

Cost: CLE-HOU Trade - A top CF prospect in Elijah Reyes (now with 2.8 WAR in 88 games for SF). LAA FA deal - 4/138M

My Take: Cleveland is probably kicking themselves now after the way Pablo performed for them, I still don’t blame the move as Cleveland fans were getting desperate for a playoff run. The FA deal was an extreme overpay for a good but declining bat, I guess the Angels(I Peench ) decided that the overpay was better than having money not spent. My guess is that they may wish they had that 40M left for better players or extensions 2 years from now.

[​IMG]
    Hawkins walked from PIT(PAgamer07) after putting together some solid 3+ WAR season and joined the Rangers in 2025. A solid LF defender has always hit pretty consistently (>100 OPS+ 9 our of last 11 seasons) put together one of his best years in his first season for Texas (.379 wOBA, 4.7 WAR)

Cost: 5/90M

My Take: Fair contract. I might be worried at the tail end, will be 37 by the end, but for now DrunkenSoldier should be pleased with the move.

[​IMG]
    Davidson has always had the potential to be a top bat but injuries have held him back. After only managing to play 63 games in 2025, Houston let the OF walk in FA. The Yankees picked him up and so far a healthy Davidson has performed well (.354 wOBA, 2.7 WAR)

Cost: 4/88M

My Take: All depends on his health, Davison is a great defender who can play all 3 OF spots and has a top bat vs RHP. He’s probably a 2.0 WAR during an injury filled season and a 3.5+ guy when playing 140+. I like the move for Brandon S.

[​IMG]
    Perez was solid performer for Cleveland(6.3 WAR in 2 years) before being traded to the NL East Braves(Timpegoose) . Ruben had a solid ‘25 season for Atlanta but has really turned it on this year (.378 wOBA, 3.1 WAR in 88 GS)

Cost: Top SS prospect Will Wall (.372 wOBA, 3.2 WAR in 77 GS this year) and a (B-) SP prospect Wilson Reyes (might make it as a #5 SP)

My Take: A rare trade in the Dugout where it seemed fair at the time and still looks fair 2 years later. I give the slight edge to JFace907 because he got younger and got a SS in the deal.

[​IMG]
    Tomshaw, once a MVP caliber player for Colemanchu , walked after the ‘25 season in which he hit .378 wOBA and totaled 2.8 WAR. Always a top bat (>130 OPS+ 9/10 years) has struggled in his first year with Colorado (.322 wOBA, 99 OPS+, -.4 WAR)

Cost: 6/136M

My Take: Colorado’s spending spree this offseason might come back to haunt them with this one. Tomshaw can’t really hit lefties and doesn’t have much of a position to play, has always made up for that with his amazing hitting vs RHP but its quite a risk when his defense and bat degrades later(or sooner) in the contract

[​IMG]

Surprise on the list at #43 is Larry Bown (never heard of this guy). PIT let the stellar OF defender walk in ‘24 offseason(1.8 WAR) after declining to offer arbitration. Cincy(Hova) took the flyer on the young OF and so far has reaped the benefits (3.4 WAR in ‘25, 2.7 so far in ‘26)

Cost: 5/55M

My Take: An elite OF defender is always a nice thing to have and now that he has managed to hit at a .340+ wOBA clip this year, he looks like a steal at that price.

[​IMG]
    Last on the list is OF Rob Johnston mostly due to his 5.1 WAR season in ‘24. He struggled in 2025(92 OPS+, 1.3 WAR) and allowed to test FA market. The division foe Dodgers swooped him up and have seen his bat come back to life (128 OPS+, .352 wOBA, 1.7 WAR)

Cost: 3/28M

My Take: Love the low risk move by sawemoff , and so far the move has paid off.

• Like Like x 16
  2. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    Great stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

I'd have paid double to stop the "tanking" talk.

But yes, that's a valid point. I missed out on Huck the year before, and really needed someone to protect Costa. I think Costa's #'s this year speak to how important an addition he's been.

Edit: I'll also add my budget has decreased significantly over the last two seasons. I really wanted to put a .500 ball club together to stop that, with hopes of Panda being around next season when all my arms come up together.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Good analysis Ty. I still like the 3 team trade we made last year, and hopefully moving Reuben to SS helps the value of his bat. I haven't checked on how Toms is doing in Toronto for sonn which was the last piece of that deal to make it work. JFace907 got a bat from Toronto in it as well, but his name is escaping me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Rob Johnston has done well for me at the #1 and #6 spot in the lineup. With Rosado up and down with injuries, and now struggling, Johnston has slated himself in the #1 role in front of Smith, Cavallaro, Durango and Ochoa. I just hope he keeps it up!

6. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I have no space for huck to play anywhere but ss. He'd be sweet at 1b, but dave harris has that spot locked up. If someone wanted to trade me a mid-level LH SS and a RH OF platoon option so I can move Huck to DH though...

7. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

I'm here!

8. Masler

Masler Moderator

Good stuff.

I wouldn't say all three are scrubs.

OF Jose Garcia didn't do a whole lot last season but this season he is on the verge of making the All-Star team, his WAR isn't really impressive but he has hit 20 HR and has 57 RBIs (though it really isn't helping us with any games)

SS Brian Casey has had a WAR of over 2.0 the last couple of seasons if that means anything.

Clayton is in the ML bullpen and hasn't done too bad....but again, it doesn't seem to be helping us any.

9. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Nice write up!

10. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Clayton is All star game bound... Garcia nearly was too... Would be interesting to revisit after a few years. I don't think the advantage will be as clear long term

11. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Garcia has been worth -.2 WAR since 2024..
    Clayton's been good as a reliever in his first 64 IP..
    Casey is 24 in "A" hitting .225..

• Like Like x 1
  12. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Touché data... Touché