When to run with the QB

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by shadowofanubis66, Oct 25, 2009.

1. shadowofanubis66

shadowofanubis66 Walk On

When to run with the QB

I use a fast running QB in jordan jefferson so when i see some open field and the first and second option isn't there i run it with him. When your opponent is dropping back in zone most of the quarter or game and you see 5-10 yards of space ahead of you, wouldn't you take advantage of that the majority of the time? I mean they are doing that to take away the mid/deep pass, leaving the short part of the field open. I was wondering to see the opinions on this.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

In T1 it is generally accepted as fair game. There are options to spy or contain the quarterback. Everything is supposed to be "mixed up" though, i.e. it wouldn't be as cool if you did it constantly. Just when there are obviously no options for you or you feel pressure. If you are CALLING A PASS TO RUN however (fine line there) I'm not a fan of it.

3. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

sorry to hijack your thread but hellison, come on 3 national titles already? i feel sorry for your dynasty. you the man!

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hey man those were all last year (NCAA '09). I haven't really come close yet in NCAA 10, although I'm #2 (despite two losses?) right now in championship week... and despite not being in my own conference championship game... lol

So there's a possibility I get into the game this year.... And everybody would scream bloody murder prolly. :eek:

5. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

YA that would be bloody murder, but thats how the BCS works. If there was no contraversy then they were doing somethin wrong, nothing to talk about for a month. GL if u hold your position.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

haha so true. Good luck to you too.

7. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

I guess you have to look at how many time does my "QB run in reality". I play with Oregon and Air Force, both have mobile QB's that might take off about 10 times a game. I think it would only be cheesing if your QB ran more than usual and accounted for most of the rush yards. Another cheese is to call the "Hail Mary", and sit back until all the defenders are down field, and then take off for a huge gain.

Like Hell said, the defense has options to QB spy. If they are prepared, they will know you have a mobile QB and construct a game plan to neutralize the QB's run game and force him to pass by ca-lapsing the pocket and leaving a LB on QB Spy.

8. jfosh

jfosh Super

No doubt the QB scramble on 3rd down can be down right demoralizing. We have the SEC in T1 and Jefferson was there along with Kodi Burns and Star Jackson from Alabama , and the ACC had Tyrod Taylor and Jacori Harris and the G-Tech QB. Needless to say there were some QB scampers going on.

You really have to game plan and account for the QB. Going in to the game you should know if your opponent likes to run with his QB. You cant expect a guy to just sit in the pocket and take a sack.

Like what you guys already mentioned the fine line is calling a pass to run with the QB. That is something that is brought up yearly and a close eye is kept on that.

Georgia in the middle of the BCS controversy.