Whew!

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Archie Griffin, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Whew!

I'm tellin' ya guys ...

This whole grad student thing is a killer. I bet I've read 5000 pages in the last twelve weeks, and written a hundred or so. I spent my time workin' for the man in an office gig, even made district manager, but nothing compares to grad school when it come to sheer volume of work.

Mind you, I'm not talking about getting an MBA online here; I just finished two years of the real thing - full time, teaching, thesis, etc. Two BA's and an MA in five years. I need a break.

Anyway, that's why I haven't been around as much lately. I have one more thing to get finished, and then I should be ready to run this thing right.

Just thought I'd let you guys know, since interest seems to be waning all over the place. Still, guys are hanging better than I thought they would.

MCAT, SchmemCAT - I'm the busy one up in this ^%$#@ :D

Just kidding. The MCAT's no small thing.

By next week, I should be back to my post-happy self.

AG

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Well done AG, the man, the myth, the legend -- and the scholar! :D

July 1st marks the day that my last undergrad class is over! I am both excited and anxious -- excited to finally be finished after five years, and anxious to enter the worst job market since the great depression. I wish I didn't fuck up with booze, drugs, and girls at my first school; I spent 3 years there, and when I transferred out my school only accepted 40 credits. In the past two years, I have squeezed 90 credits in and have a 3.4 cumualtive gpa.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

That sounds exactly like chapter one of my story. I majored in social life the first time around. I was good at it, but they don't give credit for that kind of thing. I had 60 or so when I decided to go back, and once I got a taste of academic success, I kinda got hooked.

But I'm off the sauce for at least a year. I'm gonna kick back, do some adjunct teaching, and figure out what comes next.

Good luck in the job market. People with skills get hired, regardless of the market. Years as a recruiter taught me that. You'll be fine - you just might have to do more leg work than those who came before you. The jobs are there, but they like to hide when the economy goes south. Let me know if you need help putting a resume together. I bet I've read thousands upon thousands of them.

AG

4. PK55

PK55 Rabid Football Fan

Man AG, that is a ton of work that you've done. Kudos to you to have the discipline to do it and do it well.

Good job;)

5. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Well Done my friends. I screwed around my first year and dropped my major two times. Wanted to do accounting but changed my mind. Finsihed with Business and working on Business in H.R.

6. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

I went to a local college on and off for about 5 years, ended up just short of a 2 year degree if that tells you how serious I was about it. Anyway, I now own 2 businesses, and getting ready to expand my mortgage company into a full service financial firm with an insurance and securities division. They are small businesses so I don't make a ton of money (yet, hopefully) but it goes to show that nothing beats shear determination and hard work. Education is great. Education + unstoppable drive = Huge things for you younger college guys.

7. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Well said my friend. I have a friend who did not even step foot in college and is making $70k a year. While I agree Education is important, hard work can payoff in the end.