Which Freshman to start at QB?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by _MG_, Aug 8, 2011.

1. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OR

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Whaddya guys think? Patrick has the size and athletic craziness going for him but Gatewood has a golden arm.

I am tOSU and planned on having Braxton start season 2 but he literally didn't progress at all despite starting more than half my games, has lower awareness than either of these freshman and is overall worse than both.

3. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

I would choose the quarterback that best fits your system. If you value a quarterback with good legs go with Andy Patrick, but you must realize his passing accuracy is going to suffer. If you want to pass the ball effectively go with James Gatewood. My preference is Gatewood he is not completely slow he has decent wheels, and his arm really cannot be matched.

4. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    thats what I am leaning towards, thanks for the opinion. tough choice!

5. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

Whats your playbook?

6. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Is make the first guy a wide out personally.

• Like Like x 2
  7. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Start Braxton Miller and let one of those guys above transfer to me

;)

Just kidding.. I would start the second guy and depending on what your situation at receiver is, I would make the 1st guy a receiver. I usually go with accuracy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Running a multiple offense, but usually run options and reads very rarely. I think I just answered my own question.

9. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

this

10. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

if you run option rarely I then would go with James Gatewood. However I feel like Andy Patrick could add more identity to your offense because his arm in bad at all.

11. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    yeah man its one of those things where a guy like Patrick has tools you see not very often in a QB. He can run past you, through you and around you and still has a half-way decent arm as a freshman. It is going to be tough sitting him.

12. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

As a run first spread option guy, I'd need a change of underwear if I was able to sign a guy like Patrick.

13. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Yea unless you look to incorporate more of a zone read/option attack Gatewood should be your guy IMO. Patrick would be nasty under the right system though no doubt.

14. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I wish I had your problem.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    You could always redshirt him his first year and let Miller back up Gatewood. Then just pray Patrick doesn't transfer and have a monster RS Senior starter when his time rolls around.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I'd probably go with Patrick because of the height difference. Gatewood will be more accurate, but he'll have A LOT more balls tipped at the line and will have a harder time getting it over people in zone coverage (or any route where there will be someone between the receiver and the QB). The lack of height from Gatewood means he'll probably complete about the same number of throws that Patrick would.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RadarRider

RadarRider Montage!

Gatewood, you'd throw the ball 25 times a game and maybe run with the QB 8...

• Like Like x 1
  18. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

tough call - especially not knowing your play style.

this is one of those reasons why I love scheduling a cupcake in Week One - so if I was in your shoes I could go out and test drive both of these badboys.

I'd have to give the nod to Gatewood. I think he gives you the best chance to win right away with no real handicaps. He's fast enough to bolt from the pocket if you need him too, and in a year or two you're going to have one heck of a passer.

Patrick is a beast and might ultimately end up being the more dynamic of the two players - but that 80 accuracy hurts. Sure he'll make some plays for you with his wheels and athleticism - but you're also going to have drives stall because of errant passes, and momentum swings on INTs.

Tough to let a guy like that go to waste though. You almost have to put in a package of plays to take advantage of him.

I also think you can get him on the field in some spread formations as a slot receiver, or even a second, non-blocking TE. He'd be pretty sick on a the occasional WR screen.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

heard that

20. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    thanks for advice guys

21. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Whod you go with?

22. RadarRider

RadarRider Montage!

He went with me

23. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    I went with Gatewood but have been using Patrick in certain sets and formations where I can utilize his speed. It has been working so far, next year I might redshirt Patrick and start him as a RS Senior if he doesn't transfer.

24. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    That was going to be my suggestion b/c you cannot afford to let Patrick's skills sit.