Which position do you control on defense?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by thievaryx, Nov 3, 2009.

1. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

Which position do you control on defense?

Just curious as to which position on the field you control on defense and why?

Do you play coverage mostly or rush the passer?

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I use the 3-4 playbook and mostly use the #2 MLB. In man defense sometimes I grab the player covering the HB.....if he stays into block I will use him to double cover 1 player

3. ThaEra25

ThaEra25 Oregon=Longhorn Country

I run the 3-4 and control the SS at all times. Ive been controlling the SS since Madden 2001...It gives me the flexability to drop into coverage and/or give run support.

4. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

i play with the right end. rush the passer until the ball is thrown then use circle to jump to the spot and play the ball. tried to use LB but im not cordinated enough.. and i dont have patients to use the safteys.

5. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I switch all over...usually a LB in the 3-4, but sometimes I will get in the trenchs or use a safety...gives guys a different look all the time.

6. Muttcope

Muttcope 2 Own Goals and Counting

MLB 90% of the time, 10% DT. I hate playing the saftey and the end. The only time i play the saftey spot is when i run the 4-4 or 4-6 defense on 3rd and short or 4th and short.

7. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I play 1 position 100% of the time because I like knowing that every tackle, sack, or interception by that guy was with me controlling him. I always play the MLB as that's my favorite position and that's 1 reason that I really prefer '10 to '09. In '09 I tried playing the MLB, but I couldn't get any tackles doing that. In '10 I usually get 100+ tackles controlling him whereas in '09 I'd be lucky to get 50 tackles with the MLB. Because of that, I had to resort to playing the FS instead since I didn't want my favorite position, which should be leading me in tackles, to get shafted in stats since I couldn't play him well.

8. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I switch it up. Usually I use a DT to try and get pressure, then switch to the DB making the play if its pass, or to a DE or LB in best position if its a run. Sometimes I roam around with the FS in the 4-2-5 defense if im playing a pass-happy user. If I cant get pressure with the DL I usually switch to a LB and just sit behind the LoS or near the first down marker.

9. Newb Slice

Newb Slice Walk On

i always run the 4-3 and use either one of the safety's or a MLB to cover slants/middle of field

10. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

I just use the 3-4 and control the DE or DT no matter what their assignment. When I tried mixing up which one I control I was easy to read because my opponent always knew I would be playing zone if I swapped to the linebacker. I have perfected my technique though to where I dont always rush the end and it has helped me a lot. I can't figure out whether or not I'm better on defense with madden or ncaa. Offenses have put yards up on me in both games but I do have a history of causing turnovers though. Which everyone knows that it doesn't matter how many yards you rack up if you give up turnovers.

I remember one game inparticular where I won my game because the guy I played run the ball to run out the clock instead of taking a knee and I forced the fumble and my offense put me in position for the game winning FG. I didn't score a single offensive TD and he passed for over 400 yards while my offense didn't even total 100 yards. It's funny how often fumbles occur in Madden right when you need them to.

11. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Central Attacking Midfielder ...

oh wait.

12. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I play with the cornerback. not.

I play with the safety about 85% and a LB the rest.

13. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

I am working on playing with the SS and MLB in my games vs CPU. I still make to many mis-takes to do it in User games. In user games, I use the RE and switch up with outside run/qb contain, bull rush to the middle and swim rush towards the outside.

14. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

I change it up a little bit depending on my scheme. In a 3-4 I am almost always one of the OLB, but in a 4-3 I will be the MLB. I also like to take a blitzing safety and time the snap to get in the backfield quickly. If I am up late in the game I will be the worse of the 2 DE, to get pressure from both sides. I do run a little 4-2-5,3-3-5, and 4-4 and in those I'll be the deep safety.

15. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I do the same thing, hence my Army LB having 100 tackles a year.:) I am terrorizing people with Entienne Sabino of tOSU in the OFFL West.

Shaun

16. MaxAttack360

MaxAttack360 Walk On

I play as MLB in the 4-3 defense, but if I have a really good DT I sometimes switch to him for a few plays. I rarely rush and like to get a lot of tackles. In my USC offline dynasty, I was able to get 181 tackles last season!

17. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

you tell me... lol

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8 Column 9 Column 10
    Name Pos Tackles TFL Sack Int Dfl FF FR TD
    Terrance Parks FS 153 31 8 4 4 3 0 2
    Nigel Bradham LB 101 10 1 4 4 2 1 0

18. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I would sanction someone for doing that with a FS in my league.

That's retarded.

19. ThaEra25

ThaEra25 Oregon=Longhorn Country

Sanction them for what? And whats retarded about that...

20. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

31 TFL I think is the problem...

21. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    160 tackles with a FS? 8 sacks with a FS? Not realistic. A FS has never had close to those numbers in real life. Free Safeties do not play close to the line for obvious reasons and are therefor incapable of such numbers.

It's a known fact that in real life if your Safeties lead your team in tackles, your defense must be terrible.

Career Leading tackles in FBS for an entire Season:

Lawrence Flugence, Texas Tech (2002): 193 tackles
    Josh Buhl, Kansas St. (2003): 184
    Tom Ward, Toledo (2002): 180
    Jimmy Cottrell, New Mexico St. (2005): 179
    E.J. Henderson, Maryland (2002): 175
    John Leake, Clemson (2002): 169
    Hunter Hillenmeyer, Vanderbilt (2002): 168
    Byron Hardmon, Florida (2002): 168
    Nick Greisen, Wisconsin (2001): 167
    Rodney Thomas, Clemson (2002): 167

Note that all of them are LBs. Also note that real life NCAA teams are going to play to have a lot more downs than our leagues here. Making his numbers even more inflated.

22. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

The TFL and sacks are a sign of the FS being close to the LOS when the play is snapped which you cant do per tradition rules.

The tackles are high but not obscene.

23. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I've played Knoles once and he used the FS exclusively, but didn't come right up to the line in a pepper jack type manner. He was more apt to drop back into coverage and read my routes to jump them for a pick. He would come up for run support if I was running. Obviously I can't speak for the other 2,000 games he's probably played here. Just in our game he wasn't doing the nano blitz, hanging at the line stuff that those stats would indicate.

I use the LB's and Dline depending on down and distance FYI.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong or anything, just taking up for my boy a little.

24. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

thats called tosses, runs and coming up hard. I play 8-12 yards off the ball usually too

25. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    What about the 8 sacks? lol...