Who the hell do you think you are?

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by DirtycashDylan, Jun 27, 2010.

1. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

2. xtreme snoopy

xtreme snoopy H4Y - Ragin' Cajuns

3. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

I'll bite.

I'm 27. My dad was a HS football coach in Texas and learned the Run 'n' Shoot from the originators of it. So I grew up around the game and knew I always wanted to coach. I went to Texas Tech University and volunteered with local high school football teams while I was in college. I also worked half my freshman season as an equipment guy for the Tech football team. But I decided I wanted to have a life and the equipment gig was more work than I wanted. Graduated Tech with double major in History and Secondary Education, with a minor in Exercise & Sports Sciences. From there I took a job coaching and teaching at a small school on the outskirts of Lubbock. I had a good time, but my wife is a doctor and we had to leave the area because it was saturated with audiologists and she couldn't find work. So we came to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I was lucky enough to fall into a job with Southlake Carroll, a state and national powerhouse over the last decade. SLC has been good to me. I know Tre Newton (UT RB), Greg McElroy, and several other Dragons that are playing college football. I've loved it and am good at what I do. But along the way, we had a son, and coaches put in ridiculous hours. I would put my son to bed on Sunday night, and the next time I would see him was Wednesday night for about 30 minutes. Same thing on Thursday and then gone again all day Friday. As much as I love coaching, it can really wear down a relationship and I got sick of missing my son. After my wife's grandfather died unexpectedly this spring, I kind of reevaluated my life and decided that my family should come before my job. So I decided to get out of coaching. Last week I accepted a job teaching 9th grade geography without any coaching duties. I'm excited to have more free time to spend with my family and to pursue other hobbies, but this will be the first football season since I was in the 3rd grade that I'm not involved with a football team, and I know I'll have withdrawals. I still have a lot of great friends in the coaching business, and I've had some pretty cool experiences. I've sat in a small room and talked football with Bobby Bowden. I've met the entire OU, Texas Tech, and Arizona staffs. I've had dinners with Art Briles, Tommy Tuberville, and Mike Leach. I've coached games at the new Cowboys Stadium. I've flown to Miami to scout a high school football team. I've got a ton of great stories and I've had a great time coaching. But I think God is leading me in a different direction and I'm excited to spend time with things other than coaching football.

That's me in a nutshell. I look forward to getting to know some of you guys and hope we have a great experience on here.

4. DirtycashDylan

Dude, I'm so pumped you're in here. Some of us are pretty hardcore into recruiting IRL and we definitely know about Southlake Carroll. Of the returning guys, 2 are Sooner fans and 1 is a Longhorn (kinda lol)and we just added another Longhorn so we should have some fun smack talk as well. In fact, one of our guys that we played with last year was a writer for theoldcoach.com

5. xtreme snoopy

who was that?

6. Full Moon Fever

Cool. I like Sooners. You just have to use a lot of pictures when you talk because they don't read too well. I like this one.

[​IMG]

7. DirtycashDylan

lol. I don't have that good a comeback yet. I've never met a proud Tech fan before.

You mean who wrote for Rivals? JQwon did some didn't he? You should know though. If you mean who was the horn fan we added, I woulda thought his name gave him away.

8. xtreme snoopy

Ohhh, I never really considered Jqwon a writer...

9. DirtycashDylan

contributor?

10. xtreme snoopy

Now he is but he was a writer. I just always had a hard time with the thought that Jordan was producing content consumed by the public. Too scary of a thought

11. DirtycashDylan

lol no doubt. I'm thinking about saving that last spot for him and seeing if he'll go to dynasty rehab.

12. xtreme snoopy

worth a shot

13. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

Hopefully the year I've now lived in Louisville will give me a bit of insight into how to communicate with y'all. ;) A bit of background about myself, I was born and raised in Ann Arbor, Michigan growing up a fan of the University of Michigan. Ironically, I attended Eastern Michigan University(the team that the commish here is going to try to turn into a national power) due to the fact that they are one of the premiere schools for producing teachers in the state. For the record, I attended just about every EMU Home Football game while I was at EMU(that right there should prove how dedicated I can be.) ;)

Due to the poor job market for teaching in Ann Arbor, I was fortunate to begin my teaching career down in Louisville where I teach Mathematics.

I've always been a huge fan of the sports gaming scene, primarily in football and hockey in particular.

If you're curious about more, there is always that New Member profile that I put out there. Definitely looking forward to having some fun with this. ;)

14. xtreme snoopy

Guess if i keep replying in this thread I should contribute.

I grew up in Dallas, TX and now living and going to school in Norman, Ok. I have loved sports all my life and love my Sooners and Dallas teams. I played HS football and was a Offensive Tackle and Defensive end (we were a small school with an athletic rather than big line which is why i could play those two). I played in an Option read offense my first two years and then a spread offense thats not too much unlike the "zone-read" spread of Texas. My dreams of college ball got shot after shredding my knee in spring football right before my senior year but I helped film games and break down film with coaches that year that skyrocketed my football IQ. Im about to graduate in the winter with my bachelors in Psychology and look to possibly go to grad school to get my masters, I am also in the process of opening a sports bar here in norman.

As far as video games I put some hours in but usually only focus on 2-3 games. Right now Im playing MW2 and the FIFA WC game and am pretty good at each. If you ever wanna game shoot me a message.

15. BrntO4Life

BrntO4Life World's Youngest Geezer

Well I guess I'll put my three cents in here, since I'm officially in and what not.

Born and raised in Austin, TX, where I lived in the same house from birth until the day I moved off to college.

My dad works in the sports broadcast business and a client of his just so happens to be the University of Texas at Austin. Because of this, I've bled burnt orange from birth and have spent my entire life around that program. I've been lucky enough to meet/get to know some of my favorite players, even getting the chance to throw the pigskin around with Ricky Williams after practice on a couple occasions.

Anyways, I actually went off to the University of North Texas after high school because I didn't want to stay that close to home and it was the only other university in the state with an undergraduate film program. After two years there (and not attending a single miserable Mean Green football game), I transferred to the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, where I am in my last semester of an Art History degree.

Sports gaming is the best and the NCAA Football series has been my favorite since the 1999 edition, where I was able to win a Heisman with Arizona HB Trung Canidate after a 12,000 yard single-season rushing campaign (I was a young cheeser, sorry).

After a year off from the game, I'm ready to get back and recruit my ass off (which is EASILY my favorite aspect of the online dynasty).

16. Full Moon Fever

17. Full Moon Fever

Ha. How about that. I went to high school in Hutto.

18. CUFreeze

CUFreeze Walk On

I am 31 and grew up in upstate South Carolina. I attended Clemson University and am a die hard Clemson Tiger. After graduating I lived in Florida for about 7 years but recently moved back to SC. I had a son just a few months ago so my life is pretty hectic right now. I still find time to game though. I've played sports games all my life back to the days where I would recreate my little league team on the Sega Genesis. I look forward to playing with you guys. Go Army!

19. DirtycashDylan

Could you expound on this a little bit?

I wanted to pursue film before I decided to continue acting! I almost attended film school at OU but their program is more experimental and I wanted something more on the independent side.

very cool.

20. BrntO4Life

BrntO4Life World's Youngest Geezer

Essentially, my dad's company handles most of the live and network broadcast stuff for the University of Texas, as well as the Big 12 Conference.

What this means is that when you go to a sporting event at UT, all of the video, replays, graphics, etc. that you see on the Jumbotron at football, basketball, baseball, softball, track, etc. are handled by my dad's company.

For the Big 12 itself, they send a production truck to the two sites each week that aren't televised to record the games for the Big 12 Conference and to send their camera feeds up to the replay officials in the booth.

Aside from that, they do similar work throughout the country (although they typically stay in Texas) for teams like the Round Rock Express, Corpus Christi Hooks, and a ton of other non-Major League sporting events.

They also do some live music broadcasts and whatnot, but I'd say 90% of their business is sports-related.

They also produce the weekly coaches show's for UT athletics that air on local stations and Fox Sports Southwest.

21. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

Sorry I havn't posted in a while, went out of town for a few days..

I live in Fresno, CA and have my whole life. I have had season tickets to Fresno State Bulldogs games since I was a toddler so I am a diehard fan of all Bulldogs athletics and have never missed a home football game. I'm 18 and will finally be a student at Fresno State in the fall! Played basketball and tennis in high school. I am also a college football nut so I spend endless hours playing NCAA. Been playing since '02 on PS2. Went to a friends house and saw animated Fresno State football and I've been hooked ever since. This is my 2nd year in this dynasty but joined around season 3.

22. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

23. DirtycashDylan

Thanks. He's an English Bulldog.

24. DirtycashDylan

[​IMG]

25. Full Moon Fever

That bothers me absolutely zero. C.S. Lewis is the man.