Who would you start?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Hellisan, May 24, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Who would you start?

QB dilemma.... One of the things I dislike about NCAA 10 is that it seems like if you get two players at a position they almost always become more and more like each other as they progress. For instance if you get a couple of QBs, one with a great arm and one with great accuracy, they will both improve mostly in the stuff they aren't that great at, and end up the same player essentially. Hoping that one of these two would distinguish themselves the slower guy got a little faster so now they're the exact same speed and of course their arm became more similar than they were before...

Here are a couple talented RS soph QBs on my roster and not sure who to start. let me know what you would do...

Duane Melton - 6-4 225, 90 OVR, 80 SPD, 60 STR, 73 AGI, 83 ACC, 74 AWR, 51 BTK, 54 TRK, 56 SFA, 75 SPM, 71 JKM, 60 CAR, 88 THP, 90 THA

Kevin Booker - 6-5, 221, 89 OVR, 80 SPD, 61 STR, 84 AGI, 86 ACC, 59 AWR, 80 BTK, 78 TRK, 80 SFA, 68 SPM, 84 JKM, 80 CAR, 91 THP, 85 THA

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I think it is placebo effect, but I tend to like guys with high awareness. For some reason I think they are just more accurate.

Anyway, it depends on the offense. If you run the ball with the QB at all I would say Booker, because he has markedly better running abilities, otherwise Melton for higher accuracy and awareness.

My .02

3. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Yo empezaría Kevin Booker. Él tiene un culo mejor también.

4. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

Duane Melton.

5. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

What offense are you running?

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I would go Duane Melton based on AWR and THA. All those secondary attributes that Booker has wont really come into effect. My QB Justin Smith has all those secondary ratings and most of the time when I run with him I slide. He is simply too slow to be breaking big runs IMO.

THe one thing to keep in mind is that Booker I think will be able to throw the ball on the run VERY WELL. I think he is athletic and will be good on play action throws.

Go practice with the two and try throwing on the run with both and let us know.

7. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Like any other good coach, I need to know the race of each player and how much money their parents have "donated" to the program.

8. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Kevin Booker.

His awareness is obviously gonna improve a lot, and his high break tackle is going to lead to him breaking a few IN the pocket which is gonna lead to big plays.

9. BG

BG On The Rize!

I'd say Kevin Booker because "Awareness" only matters if you're NOT going to actually play the game. "You" are the awareness in dynasty played games!

10. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

We believe this to be untrue.....one obvious one is if your AWR is high he won't rattle quickly and you will have less squiggly lines or "?" marks on your WRs.

We also think with higher AWR will result in less knockdowns at the LOS from DTs and DEs.

11. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

I think it all depends on what type of offense you plan on running.

Georgia Tech style offense - Booker

Pro-Style - Melton

Spread (pass first) - Melton

Spread (run first) - Booker

Honestly, you probably can't go wrong with either. I had a similar situation a few years back in a dynasty and I alternated series witht he two QBs until one was just clearly outperforming the other.

12. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

I also believe this to be true and normally go with the higher aware guy as well, unless there is a drastic difference in throwing abilities.

Personally, I too would go with Melton. If nothing else, you have a runner as well that can truck some poor CB if he tries to tackle you on option plays in Brooker.

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Tennessee, once again... Or UConn... I'm not sure which, but both are passing type offenses with very few option runs.

I don't throw on the run more than about once every 2-3 games, though. Play action itself is probably once or twice a game... probably not something that would be a determning factor but I'll check it out. One thing I will say is that although they have the same speed rating Booker seems much, much faster when you take off with him as long as it's straight up the middle of the field. If they're rolling out or scrambling to the side they look identical as you'd guess.

edit: Actually I remember a sweet throw on the run against Bama last year... lol

Thanks... I'm with you on the AWR, I have always liked a QB with good AWR and I have a third QB (ironically named Brian Clark) with better AWR than either of these and a similar arm to Booker, he just has no speed whatsoever and is only 6'0". To me the better AWR guys tend to get better blocking, among other things... Like the team just seems to play better with them in the game.

Both are caucasians but it's funny you mention it, Melton has a typical "face" I've seen on umpteen players in the game, Booker is an original, so to some extremely small percentage that was a factor hahahahahah. Last year's QB was also somewhat unique, a left-handed, 6'5" black QB who won us a title and then wanted to go pro after his junior year. Since he was only 1 OVR point better than these guys and 2 years older I let him walk, I wanted to use the youngsters...

Hmm that is a different spin on it, thanks man. I was considering the idea of going Melton until we had a big lead in any game then going Booker, and getting more conservative and scrambling more when things weren't there to take advantage of his running. But that is a good reason to put him in the convo.

Thanks man..

I haven't noticed it so much with the squigglies that seems to be more of a class thing, i.e. a RS FR is slightly better than a true FR, and then each successive season they get a little better, the squigglies never seem to be a major issue for a JR or SR no matter how much their AWR sucks. But I do agree I usually like AWR for other things...

That's another thing I might do, in my early games against the cpu just play both and see who is better before that first user game in week 4.

Right on... I agree you really can't go wrong with either...

Thx guys

14. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

Kevin Booker has the better name. I feel that Duane Melton would have a great career for you filled with success, then have a 'Melt' down in the pros and be a bust. You don't want to use his name as a recruiting pitch to future QB's after that...

Booker for sure.

15. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I believe you can't go wrong with either, but I would run the option run playbook and start Melton. Melton because he is more aware.

16. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Thanks Duggan!

Update on the guys

They switched series until the 2nd half when Booker stayed in to run it... This was aganist a BAD cpu team to open the season.

Melton: 7-10, 168 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT (my fault), 55 long, 1 sack

Booker: 6-12, 135 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 52 long, 1 sack
    12 carries, 89 yards, 7.4 avg, 2 TD, 22 long, 1 fumble (when hit while in pocket)

17. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

(y)

That's exactly what I would be doing with them too man. When you have two players so equal as they are, you gotta do like the ole ball coach did at Florida and just switch them out when one starts to stink it up.

What playbook did you end up using since it looks like you were able to run the ball with Booker pretty easily?

It looks like both guys did a great job of stretching the field some. Did it seem like either of them had trouble completing a route that the other one didn't have trouble with (Slants, Out routes, and Corner routes all can be troublesome with a QB that doesn't have the arm or accuracy to fit it in there tight against good defenses)?

18. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Kentucky playbook is what I used for this first game... It doesn't have many option plays but what it has really works pretty well. He also scrambled about 2-3 times and got good yards on those.

To be honest I didn't notice any problems completing any certain routes Booker was the victim of a couple of drops and another couple plays where he got hit while throwing resulting in about 4 incompletions... both looked solid but Melton looked way less athletic (like he is).

19. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Kentucky playbook is pretty interesting. It's like part pro offense and part spread with a lot of variety. Part of the reason why I like Stanford's playbook so much is the variety with a good bit of pro style offense.

Yeah, I figured that was the case. Interesting that the lower awareness player was hit with the drops and getting hit more often issues. Maybe there really is something to that stuff.

I think I would definitely continue the route of using both of them though.

20. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

haha