Who's up for some NCAA '09 action this weekend?

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by jello1717, Jun 26, 2009.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Who's up for some NCAA '09 action this weekend?

Is there any chance I could play some online '09 games against you guys this weekend? I'm new to playing online sports games and I need some practice so I hopefully won't get blown out of the water in my user games. In my offline dynasties, I've had to implement a lot of house rules to try to make the CPU games more challenging and, in my limited online experience this month, I'm thinking that I'll handicap myself too much against other users. IE.

Can't bring anyone (especially TEs) in motion to overload a side with blockers.
    On D, I can't change players during the play. If I'm the MLB and I blitz and the CPU throws deep, I'll have to depend on my CPU guys to make the tackle.
    I'm only allowed 3 pitches per half, regardless of how many yards they gain on them.
    No PA passes when not in rushing situations (IE. not on 3rd and 10).
    Cannot control punt or kick returners. I have to let the CPU control them (although, hopefully this is fixed for '10).
    No user picks or user catches. If the QB throws near my defender, I can move in front of the ball, but I can't hit "Y".
    No fast RBs going in motion for passing plays or in any of the WR positions.
    etc. etc.

So, in the 10 or so online games I've played, some people just completely blow me out and there's nothing I can do to stop them. Some things I have trouble with (that I'm really hoping won't be an issue in this league) is the fact that almost every QB has at least 10s to find a receiver as he'll drop back for 20 yards and then run all the way to the sideline until he can find someone.

I'd like to play some games against you guys to see how I fare against non-cheesing people. Also, which of my rules above can I throw out for user v. user games (ie. which of those wouldn't be cheesing)? I'm sure user catches/picks would still be a no-no and depending on how '10 plays, limiting my pitches might still need to go in. But how about things like not switching defenders or bringing extra blockers in motion? Do you guys do those? Do you use your RBs a lot in the passing game?

So, let me know if any of you would be up for a game or two this weekend.

2. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I'd say throw all of them out until we see how '10 plays. Things like motion, while very advantageous against the CPU, can be countered when playing another user. The only one that we debated from your list above was user catching, which was borderline but we ended up not banning it.

We try to limit unrealistic scrambling (which is different than a ban on all scrambling). And limit play to the extent that the stats are unrealistic (12 catches by your HB in a game). While the offense was overpowered in '09, almost everything could be stopped with the right defense. You just had to get lucky enough to guess what they were going to do. I found myself limiting some things in my offline games vs the CPU, but I didn't put any of those limits you describe above on myself vs users, and I don't think anyone else did. Pitches were cited as an issue at one point, but as long as they weren't being abused it wasn't a problem.

Bottom line, I think the main thing is to just keep things realistic. Don't overuse/abuse certain plays & tactics. Don't do things a team would never do in real life in a certain situation. If something is unstoppable we'll discuss it. We'll go into '10 with a clean slate and see how it plays, then discuss if any limitations are needed outside of "don't play like a douchnozzle".

I'll be out of town this weekend or I'd bust out '09 with you.

3. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I should be on some this weekend. Shoot me a FR. I'll be more than happy to get some games in with you and show you how to beat a 4-2-5 (which is rumored to be OSU's favorite defense.) :D

4. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

What's your GT?