Why are people so unwilling to lose to the cpu?

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Hellisan, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I'm not going to call anybody out here specifically but I have noticed a lot of people demonstrating an unwillingness to take a loss to the cpu. Whether that just be complaining after they lose and calling it bullshit every time they do so, or quitting the game, or quitting a league... It's always the same thing.

"I lost to Team X and it was total bullshit."

A lot of what happens in football could be chalked up under total bullshit. I have no idea how NC State won their last game in real life, (Maryland being total ASS could be the answer) as they had three fumbles in the first few minutes of the game... One was recovered and run back for a TD and the guy who fumbled it was running all alone with the ball when it slipped out of his hands! Tell me THAT wouldn't make you guys dashboard. Your dude is literally by himself, ball slips out, he takes 2-3 stabs at it on the ground and can't pull it back in and the opposing team picks it up and runs it back for a score.

These are EXACTLY the kinds of things that happen to teams each week! I know it can sometimes look a little different in a video game... But why don't some of you ever want a challenge? The way the game plays actually plays to your preferences quite a bit as the cpu usually will play tough in the beginning but wilt if it's close in the second half. On the rare occasion they play tough a whole game against us, we get all offended about it.

Again, it is a video game, so some things are lost in translation and/or it's a little more OBVIOUS that the bad things are being manufactured. But again, those are part of football. Everything in the game is manufactured whether positive or negative, it's all programmed in there, it's not natural... It's not real. It's frustrating when you have a guy in man coverage and he just quits on a route, or when you have a coverage with deep safeties called and they still beat you over the top.

I'm not saying take your loss smiling. I am a horrible loser especially against the cpu, it literally ruins my day, but I take my medicine and I'm still here.

I'd like to urge everybody that gives a shit about TSO and their leaguemates....

*Renew your commitment to being a good sport whether against the human teams or against the cpu.

*We're all playing the same game, so stop acting like you're the only one getting screwed.

*If you're struggling, practice and play some pick-up games or even online, whatever it takes.

• Like Like x 17
  2. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I think the reason for this behavior is becausem most of us grew up playing sports games by ourselves and conditioned ourselves to never lose. Most kids play don't enjoy losing, so you did a number of things to ensure you didn't.
    • The difficulty level was never high enough to challenge you.
    • If you DID lose, you just gave yourself a mulligan.
    • You stacked the odds in your favor, either by calling money plays, recruiting like a maniac, etc.

Disagree? Watch your kids play Wii or something. The other day I saw one of my kids doing this in WWE '12 and tried to get him to "play sim". He looked at me like I was a fucking retard.

Anyway, you end up thinking you are Jesus on a Joystick. Eventually many of us started playing friends, online, etc. where we learned about our relative talent level. Much of the site is pretty similar in terms of "talent" so losing to another PERSON translates to winning the mental game. It's impossible to think the CPU beats you "mentally", so you attribute it to "luck" or "poor programming".

Personally, I think it is laughable how hard so many leagues on here go to keep most aspects of the game realistic, but have no problem with Army going to the National Championship game because the CPU is set to a non-competitive level.

You can get a fair challenge from the CPU and enjoy it, you just have to change your mindset a little bit and stop nitpicking the game.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Can't tell you how many times I've heard that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I wonder what the record is for users v CPU in The Deuce this season. It might surprise some people.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Maybe the current generation, but not when we grew up. Old Nintendo games were brutally hard at times. Now we have checkpoints and saves to reload, but back then, you died and you restarted. But it also depends on the person. We had to make rules in some of our dorm room franchise games of being kicked out if you restarted a game and were caught. I also always had to have it on all madden difficulty, as the cpu was easy to abuse in earlier maddens.

But I do know where you are coming from. I had one roommate freshman year in college who pretty much says he plays games to win and it makes him feel better regardless of the challenge. The hope would be that guys are attracted to this site who are looking for that sim challenge. If I wanted to beat down the cpu all day I could play my own offline dynasty on Varsity and call it a day. We came here for a reason.

7. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Ya I am 4-8 this year :oops:
    The cpu has taken me out back and beat the shit out of me several games

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iron Mickey

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Quattro

Quattro Moonwalking in a field of landmines

I only get mad when my Xbox breaks and the sim loses to four teams as Alabama.

10. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I am 5-6 so far this year.

2-2 vs users so 3-4 against the CPU.

11. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

Instead of renewing your commitment to being a good sport....Y don't you take ur whining & crying act & kick rocks. There are no children on TSO. We are all adults or young men or teenagers. MAN DA F UP & TAKE YOUR LOSS.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I love you.

13. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

everyone blames it on the sliders and say the CPU "cheated" to beat them. As a commish everyone always complains when you try to make the CPU better

14. Iron Mickey

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hardest I laughed all day when I read this.

16. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I'm 4-6 this season with the Northwestern Wildcats. May be my first season ever not to make a bowl game. I've taken plenty of losses to the CPU in `12 as I've attempted to take a not so good team and make them relevant. I've lost a handful of CPU games and I find it frustrating to see a loss and then watch scores from other games come in 50-20 where users are destroying what should be strong CPU teams. IMO it really kills the enjoyment of a league.

That's what I think drives the answer to the question your asking. People are so afraid to take a loss to the CPU because it's unlikely that all 11 other members in the dynasty will follow suit. There's always going to be that guy or group of guys that will do whatever is in their power to snag a win from the CPU at all costs, including sacrificing realism. There's always that guy that has to get a 6th star at all costs or has to have the ability to recruit 15 top 150 players every season. It's sad because I think leagues would be much more fun and have a much better shelf life if user teams did this. The typical dynasty here by year 3 or 4 even if you started with no 6 star programs probably has 10-12 of the users ranked in the top 25 consistently every season. It's silly. That shouldn't happen and it defeats the purpose of even playing in leagues where you play against the CPU. I mean what's the point of playing 8 CPU games when all they are is a chance to pad stats? You'd be further off playing in a one conference league where every week you play a user.

I think a lot of people came to this community to find sim leagues and enjoy a realistic experience in playing NCAA or the other titles. Unfortunately it seems somewhere along the lines of our growth, the community has become competitive and the focus has shifted too heavily on winning championships. Maybe we should start giving out awards or something to people who take losses to the CPU?

• Like Like x 5
  17. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I guess our sliders aren't as difficult as yours, but we've had quite a few user losses, I've lost about one cpu game every other year, and that would be far more than I've ever lost previously...

18. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

[​IMG]

can I get another AND or OR?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Part of it is team talent. We started with the CUSA and MAC, and many of us have moved into non power-house Pac and B1G teams

20. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I tend to say things more nicely at times than others would, I think that annoys people sometimes... But hey.

Another cheesy thing I can say is that all this comes from a good place, I'm not trying to mock people that hate losing, but everybody in a good 12-man league brings something to the table that the others don't.. And you wouldn't have started unless you liked that sport and that game. So it's something you like and yet you're gonna quit because you can't be perfect at it... And deprive the league of your presence while making the commish spend hours and hours looking for a replacement.. It's just stupid.

21. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I have seen too many cases of bitchassness from people on this site. Stop being whiny little kids and act like a man.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I definitely wish OC was on the sliders the Deuce was on. I'm Wake Forest and I have walked all over Florida State every season-- personally I would prefer to have to build for 2 or 3 years before I am capable of it- but because of All American sliders I am able to whoop them (I'm average on the sticks mind you, numerous members here could attest to that).

Shaun Mason hit the nail on the head, when I was back playing NCAA 06 to about 08, all I did was play offline by myself. I usually ran with Texas and anytime I lost, my childish head just said "well fuck losing, I'll just either replay it, or save and sim it until I win." Also a lot of people, even around here I suspect especially judging form reactions when they lose, bank on money plays that they will use when the game is coming down to the wire. Now I don't know anyone for sure doing anything like that, but if you complain that much about a loss to the CPU I would imagine you are doing everything possible to win any way possible (screens, 4 verts, you guys know the drill).

Also-- David is on the ball with the gifs today.

23. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

MAY be?

Are you saying that you think you have a chance in hell against dakota7?

• Like Like x 1
  24. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Against Dakota, yes, of course.......against the talent at Wisconsin, that's a different question.

25. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    My whole offense is screens and 4 verts...and I'm still 5-6.

• Like Like x 1