Why do you defer????

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by jms493, Dec 17, 2010.

1. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I have noticed since inception of the Online Dynasties 90% of the users who win the coin toss at the start of the game elect to kickoff. This goes against real life where you want the ball first and try to gain a lead.

Which really puzzles me is that this years game it is very hard to play defense and stop someone consistently. Especially at the beginning when you are not sure what someone is going to run. So why defer, play defense and go down 0-7? I understand that it gives u a chance to maybe score twice in a row (end of half and beginning of 2nd half) but if you maintain a lead you are in much better position.

I mean in some cases it would make sense to take the wind in knowing that most people will kickoff. Too bad wind doesn't really play much of a factor in the pass game (shame).

Thoughts?

2. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I noticed Helli likes to receive alot. I defer to try to get the two-for at the end of the first half/beginning of the second. I also think the beginning of the game thing works both ways: sure the defense doesnt know whats coming, but the sometimes its hard to find your rhythm on that first drive offensively as well.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

What blaza said at the end.

I'm pretty much shit on offense at the beginning of the game. I also play decent defense most of the time. So i'm not afraid to kick it off.

Sometimes I take the ball just to establish an aggressive game plan. But probably once a season in user games.

4. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

If I win the toss I take the ball 95% of the time. If I lose the toss the guy who won will kick it to me. I always want to try and score first.

5. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

In the past version's of games I have elected to receive first alot. But this year, I always defer for the simple reason that 90% of the time, the returner doesn't even get out to the 20 yard line. IF (and a huge IF) you can hold them there, should get a huge edge in field position right from the start of the game.

Unfortunately, vs users, what usually ensues is a 4 min 80 yd TD drive, but that's besides the point :)

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

true the kick returning sux this year

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I defer because I want the ball second half to start.

I also think that on defense I can get that early start. I feel I play my best defense from the get go and get progressively worse as the game goes on as well.

8. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i defer because i want the beating to commence and thus conclude as quickly as possible..

9. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I think that is because people give up on the run and start airing out in the 2nd half. Stopping the pass 3 downs in a row is very hard.