Why don't sports games borrow CoD idea

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Bl0ndeRedHead, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Hear me out lol I know the title sounds stupid, but...

What if NCAA/Madden/etc. decided to use two developers, who released their version every two years, a la Call of Duty with Modern Warfare 1/2 and WaW/Black Ops? This would give each developer more time to work on their product, and promote somewhat of a rivalry between the developers to create the better game. Maybe I'm just too fucked up at 2am and blabbering in the Cheap Seats, but I was curious if this had the remote possibility of being doable, or if there's no way in hell it will happen.

2. Bl0ndeRedHead

Also, another thought. How badass would it be to download a year in NCAA as some sort of DLC? Like being able to download the 1977 year with the Southwestern Conference, Big 8, and conference setups like that. Just release another "classic" year every year with the current game physics and engine but the old school teams and rosters. I'd easily drop 20 bucks on that, wouldn't you? Being able to play the 1994 season with the NCAA 12 system would be dope as shit.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

They've given you the ability to do all of this stuff in this years game. You can utilize teambuilder to create whatever you would like and with the ability to customize conferences, you can do all that stuff? The opportunity for it is there, I guess what you're saying though is you'd rather see them do it and you pay for it than do it yourself haha....I don't blame ya, that shit would take forever!

One thing I'd add to this, especially with the custom playbooks, is the old school offensive styles. I wish they'd include some of those plays in the game still. I can remember playing this game back in the late 90s when you could use Nebraska and run their triple option offense with the veer option and all the wishbone formations. I wish they'd still have the Veer formation in this options for custom playbooks. They have the split backs and the strong/weak sets, but I don't think there's one triple option play in any of those books which is unfortunate.

4. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Explain the difference between the veer and triple option

5. GoGators

This is an interesting question. I guess in layman's terms, there is no difference. The veer option and triple option are one in the same when considered a play. However, what I'm referring to is the old school veer option offense that is one of the simplest schemes in football, yet as Denzel notes in the movie Remember the Titans when referring to his veer offense, "It's like Novocaine, just give it time and it always works".

The veer option offense I wish they still had in the game is run from a split backs set w/both RB's lined up behind the guards at about 4-5 yards deep. EA doesn't have this sequence of plays in the game from this formation. They used to back in the 90s when the offense was used by more schools but since not many offenses use this look anymore they've done away with it.

Going along with the throwback idea, I think it'd be cool to still have some of the old style offenses in the game like the veer, T, winged-T, single wing, etc. How cool would it be to go back and recreate Knute Rockne's Notre Dame Box offense with the four horsemen?

6. Bl0ndeRedHead

Agreed about the playbooks, but this years game can't let me do this idea. I want classic unis, 45 teams removed, classic bowl matchups, etc.

7. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

If they did that, the games would be very different each year and there might not be a unified progression.

A lot of people don't buy the other CoD games because they don't like the way it feels compared to the other series. Personally, I don't think this would be a good idea for sports games, but that's just my opinion.

8. GoGators

You can recreate whatever uniforms you want on teambuilder.....again though, it would take forever to do all this.

I thought an interesting idea for these games that's similar is backwards compatability. What if you could continue your 2009 dynasty on the 2012 game? If the 2012 game would recognize files from the games before it, you could take the time to put something like that together and it might be worth the time. For example, you could of started this project in 11 with the roster file, if `12 would recognize an `11 roster file, you could just bring that file over to the new game and keep plugging along instead of having to recreate the file every year. With a community like this I think you could get people interested, I recall somebody over at OS used to put together an all time roster for some of these games so there's definitely an interest.

My original thought with it though was with dynasty files. If you could take the `11 OD files we had and just reloaded them onto the `12 game, all of the dynasties here could of kept chugging along from year 10 or so instead of needing to restart from year 1 every year. I think that would be pretty sweet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bl0ndeRedHead

This is false, although most people think it's true. World at War was bashed compared to MW1 yet sold more copies, and Black Ops outsold MW2, even though most agree the Modern Warfare series is the best.

10. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

a lot =/= the majority

Look at the amount of people who still play MW2.

When W@W was out, there were a ton of people who went back to 4, etc.

---

Whether or not the sales would be the same is not the point - I'd be disappointed if 2013 played like NCAA, 2014 played like Madden, and 2015 played like NCAA.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I thought you were going to say borrow the idea of switching hosts when one craps out so games don't get disconnected so often, and to that, I'd say YES

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

fcking blonde and his late night "ideas"

13. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

I wrote a column for MaddenMania back in the day discussing this. it was generally well received by everybody but EA lol.

as always it comes down to money. they're of the opinion not having madden on the shelves each year would result in a bit whole in their revenue stream. Even though IMO you can make most, if not all, of that back with DLC like updated rosters, new uniforms, new ultimate team card packs and other things like maybe adding new announcers.

(FIFA did this a few years back - they let you download the commentary tracks in other languages including an alternate English one - it was one of my favorite DLCs of all time and of course hasn't been done since. I mean how cool would it be to sit there and go "hmmm ... Gus Johnson? Or should I go with Nantz and Simms? Buck and Aikman? Hmmm.)

the big selling point for this is being able to release better, more polished games. EA is basically on a schedule from the Super Nintendo days where you could pump out a top-notch game in a year easily - because there was only so much you could do with the graphics and AI. Now most top end games take at least 18 months to design, test and ship. this is why, year after year, NCAA and Madden have infuriating bugs and glitches. They just don't have the time to design and then properly test the game.

• Like Like x 2