1. If you haven't seen already, TSO is now powered by Discord! This means that we will eventually be disbanding the embedded chat on the main forum page. Head to this page to learn more on how to integrate your TSO account with discord! https://traditionsportsonline.com/wiki/discord-integration/

Why I Love Power Backs

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Dude, Jan 4, 2012.

1. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

Check out the vids from my BC game. I have a power back named Gabe Riley, and he busts a 25 yard TD in which he completely destroys the final tackler, who I think is a safety. Blows him up and take him into the end zone. Love it. Took a nice pic of the pained expression on the defender's face.

Also, and the reason why I dig pocket passers, in the other vid, I managed to drop a 63 yard bomb (probably 55 or so in the air) against single coverage on the outside. It's a beauty.

Now that's how I like to play football. None of that spread option sillyness for me.

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

LOL,

I see how it is Dude gotta take pop shots at us spread teams huh? That is alright, when I want to I know I can easily get back under center and make life hell for just about anyone. Unless it is a week 1 user game that is.

BTW can anyone check the wire to see if my game from last night uploaded? I had 5 sweet highlights including a touchdown by the reigning Bednarik winner who started the game with 3 tackles for a loss, and a sack on the first three plays from scrimmage. Quarles was in BEAST mode. However, the game got stuck uploading the third highlight.

I had a 98 yard touchdown run by my sophomore 5 star RB Marcus Harris on a zone read play.

3. The Dude

I actually scored two TDs on shotgun run plays in this one. My only back with real speed is my third string guy, so I play him in a couple sets. I just like it best when I completely blow someone up. That might be my favorite play of this season so far.

4. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I agree too running from under center can be alot of fun. My favorite rushing touchdown this year came against bdub when we broke a "slide to motion" counter back the other way. It was a great looking play that I rarely pull out because it has to be set up just so. But when it broke it was a thing of beauty, and in that hotly contested game it was a HUGE difference.

5. The Dude

Here's a pic of the defender's pain. Brings me joy.

Riley.PNG

• Like Like x 2
  6. bdub

bdub Walk On

Check out the highlights from my Florida game. My qb took in a triple option from about 25 yards out. The option game is a thing of beauty when you make the right reads and your players execute.

7. The Dude

I like to use the triple from the I (especially when I can go dual HB with a power back in the FB spot) but my QB has a sub-60 speed rating, which is like watching a guy run in mud. The next guy up is balanced, and has speed/agi/acc ratings in the 70s, so I can get away with it here and there. Don't get many opportunities to pitch, though.

8. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Even though Carey's been a blast to run with, I look forward to returning to power back status next year. I much prefer to hit the hole, destroy defenders, and pick up much-needed yardage after contact. With speed backs vs. top user teams, it's often hit-or-miss, home run or strike out. Speed backs need space to thrive, and the best defenses are suffocating.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012