Why South Alabama was not included this year

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by bcduggan, Jul 9, 2012.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

2. Westlake_88

Westlake_88 Walk On

USA enters FBS in the 2013 season.

3. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Quoting the article

Julie Foster, a communications manager at EA Sports, told JagsJungle.com, a South Alabama fan site, that the video game franchise didn't know South Alabama was going to be a full member of the FBS.
    "South Alabama was a provisional member of FBS last year and did not play a full FBS schedule," she wrote the site in an email. "We did not receive confirmation that they were changing to a full FBS schedule this year until it was too late for inclusion in NCAA Football 13. South Alabama will be included in NCAA Football 14."

Later in article

South Alabama might have received the least amount of pub because it joined its league back in 2009. However, the Jaguars are playing 11 FBS schools in 2012, which should have been the first clue that it wasn't an FCS team.

Article did note the reference to being full Sun Belt members in 2013

According to http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/analysis_sunbelt.html

South Alabama is a part of Sun Belt but because of transition year this year so they won't be eligible for Sun Belt title or bowl game till 2013 but the website also says The Sun Belt adds South Alabama from the FCS this season.

They are playing 11 games of FBS schedule and even play 8 games in Sun Belt conference, which I am guessing would count for everyone else but not South Alabama.

4. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

Did they every say why UMASS and Texas State stadiums didn't get in? I though it was a given they'd have them...

5. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Thought this was common knowledge, all the other sites have been making such a big deal about it.

6. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I was the unfortunate person who broke the news to USA.

7. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I thought it was common knowledge but a friend of mine from Alabama apparently didn't know and posted the link on another gaming site.

8. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I know at least UMass was getting it's stadium renovated so they are in Gillette Stadium until then. Texas State I don't know

9. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    The story referenced isn't 100% accurate. but I'm not at liberty to say why.

10. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I would like to announce that IDGAF that they aren't in the game.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

But Drifter, it is such a slap in the face to all the die hard South Alabama fans out there!

12. JAS19ILLINI

JAS19ILLINI Walk On

Is the OS NCAA forum site down for anyone else?

13. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Shaun,

not trying to get "the rest of the story" from you, but I am sure there are more reasons than "poor communication" as to why South Alabama is not in game this year.

14. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    No, poor communication is true.

15. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I didn't say it wasn't true. Poor communication is a cop out excuse to me though. It's like a husband "listening" to his wife while playing NCAA 13. 20-30 minutes after the game he has to ask her what she told him because he was "listening" while getting killed in the game.

16. Westlake_88

Westlake_88 Walk On

Cool, we know South Alabama is not in the game. What else is there to talk about?

17. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Cop out to what?

18. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

One of the definitions to cop out is evasion. Your post listed above says there is more to it than poor communication and not confirming it. That is why it is a cop out excuse, or being evasive by EA Sports.

Poor communication, not paying attention to small details are some of the things that can kill a business of any size.

My original point was that poor communication, and not confirming South Alabama is a big deal in the sense since that could have been confirmed well before the game changers went down for the first visit. It probably could have been confirmed before the end of last regular season of college football.

Shaun, you have a NDA as to what you can talk about and what you can't talk about. I respect that. I never was trying to push a deeper explanation. If you hadn't said but I'm not at liberty to say why., I would not have thought anything of The story referenced isn't 100% accurate. comment. Any news article whether it's written on yahoo, AP, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, or any others should not be taken at face value for what it says. I am not saying the news media lies, just that the whole truth is not always reported by them.

19. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I don't have a NDA about that, I am just tired of people from South Alabama pestering me.

You are assuming when I say there is more to the story it is because EA is at fault, and that's all I'm saying.

20. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Wish they would've left out Alabama...

• Like Like x 2
  21. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    South Alabama finally gets to be a big boy school and now they're QQing about not being put in NCAA 13? They clearly have their priorities straight.

22. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Shaun, you assume that since I posted the article, and I keep responding that I am a South Alabama fan. However, I am not one, I live in Minnesota, born and raised in Buffalo, NY. I am a Buffalo Bulls fan. I have never set foot in Alabama. I hear it's pretty nice there though from people here and on facebook. My disappointment is mainly based on the fact South Alabama is playing an FBS schedule and they aren't included. I like using the newer schools in dynasties.

By posting not being at liberty to say, you give an implication that EA is more at fault.If you read my whole response before instead of just quoting it, I even acknowledged that any news article whoever it's written for should not be taken at face value for what it says. This is because the whole truth is not always being reported by them. If you just left it at the story was not 100%, it would have been acceptable to realize the news article may not have been 100% accurate because any quote can be twisted. If the quote in the article by Jule Foster is accurate then yes EA is at fault. If the quote is twisted slightly, then EA may still be at fault, but the fault may not necessarily be 100% for EA and I can accept that. I don't really want "the rest of the story" even though you have stated there is more to it.

Since UMass, UTSA, and Texas State are also provisional this year, the poor research reason that the yahoo article mentioned for South Alabama is a poor reason. Like you said there is more, but it's all really irrelevant now that game has been released.

23. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Every other school that became FBS eligible approached EA....

24. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

Two things.

A. UMass, Texas St and UTSA are provisional members and usually would not have been included in the game until they were full fluedged members. Why EA decided to include them this year, I do not know. Maybe it was because they approached EA as Shaun indicated, who knows.

B. I had read somewhere that intially none of the teams were going to play a full FBS schedule this year. Then, the NCAA decided to allow one, then another, etc. The article I read also indicated that USA was the last to get approved for a full FBS schedule this year (although I"ve also been told this is untrue). Either way, it shows that things changed along the way.

For some reason, EA decided to go with provisional FBS members this year and, for some reason, I don't think all of the information was presented/collected accurately. I'm sure, looking back, EA wishes they would've just left them all off this year. However, people complaining about it is a bit over blown. I get why USA would feel slighted but, based on EA's history, they never should have been considered in the first place.

25. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

How would you feel about Bufallo moving to the Big 10?

Shaun Mason
    Keller
    OMlawdog