Why the 3-4?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Seems like everyone is running this these days. Is there something I'm missing, or is it just that effective?

I have trouble with it in user games, and the CPU lights me up when I try to run it myself. I just can't see the attraction.

Someone enlighten me.

2. bdub

bdub Walk On

The biggest thing I like about it is the amount of pressure you can put on the QB with it. Also like it more than the 4-3 because while its a basic traditional defense it still holds up well against the spread.

3. thatguy188

thatguy188 You know ... THAT guy.

I was not a fan of it last season, however, since my team changed, so did my personnel. I like my matchup now with my linebackers and linemen. Def bigger, and more physical, than last year. You gotta have good/great Linemen to run it successfully, since their so important handling the running gaps.

4. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I ran it at PSU because of my abundance of quick, fast linebackers. I have to disagree with thatguy though, I don't think you need outstanding lineman I think you just need strong lineman that won't get pancaked everytime. I had an 80 overall de at PSU who held his own. Now the main reason I use the 3-4 is that you can control a lb and ad lib without it screwing up your base coverage, and in user games you can bring some funky looks to the table without any user adjustments. It does get hurt from time to time, but if you know how to mix up your calls and not put your secondary on rubber dinghies you should be fine.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I can't really get into it because it seems like base coverages only bring three rushers, so the QB has all day. To bring an extra guy (for a total of four) you have to leave a single safety over the top, most of the time at least. Now, you cover the edges better (and anyone who has played me knows I like to zip the ball out to the edges) but I think it's just a little too soft, especially against the CPU.

But I like the idea of being able to line up the same against 2, 3, and even occasionally 4 WR sets, and the 3-4 allows that, but in the end, I think the 4-3 and the Nickel sets are easier to play, and do the "bend but don't break" think the way I like to do it.

6. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

You need to look at the plays closer. You can easily leave two safeties over the top and bring four and still have everyone covered.

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

After looking over the strengths and weaknesses of my team, and what I think I will have at the start of next season, I think I too might be switching to a 3-4 in the off season.

Sopmeone tell me everything I need to know, will ya?

8. bdub

bdub Walk On

3-4 normal best set in the game. Anything over 4 WR go to nickel or dime sets.

9. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

I use the 2-4-5 set most of the time in other dynasties, and sub Marcell dareus type DE/DT hybrids at the two tackle spots