Why the NL Needs the DH

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Jan 7, 2014.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

It is time for the "traditionalists" and those who think that in 2027 the real life MLB will not have a DH to get over it. The disparity is clear in the enormous advantage AL teams have in a short series against their NL counterparts. I will give you three reasons why the DH should be voted in to the National League.

1. Inter-league Play. With 2013 came a restructuring of the leagues. When Houston moved into the American League, this left each league with 15 teams, unbalancing them both and forcing even more inter-league matchups. Nearly every day of the regular season we are having these games occur and the National League is at a huge disadvantage. Even though the majority of their ballgames are against the NL, they still have a much higher proportion of games against the AL. Even the most creative GM will not spend money... most times a lot of money... for a DH who cannot play in the field and will only be used in these games. Not only is it a large portion of the budget, but the player not being in the starting lineup will cause ripples in the team's morale all year long.
    2. Which brings me to my second point... Free Agency. This is a two-fold concept.
      • A National League team is hesitant or even unwilling to extend their aging stud hitters to a long term deal in fears that the player will lose his ability to play the field. It has happened numerous times across the league, and if you ask any NL GM, defense plays a huge factor in signing a player or even extending their own aging player. With a DH, the older player can always be slotted there and kept on their team.
      • Secondly... some of the best hitters each year in free agency will never be signed by a NL team due to the simple reason that they cannot play defense. The AL on the other hand has that luxury and can continually upgrade the position as better hitters become available. This also affects the market as a whole. By more teams being able to sign these hitters, you will see more trading and even a more active free agency market as bidding escalates on the DH type hitter

3. OOTP sucks at substitutions and strategy. Even the GM who micromanages every single strategy option to maximize their offensive output will see dozens of occurances throughout the season of OOTP failing to do what a real life NL manager would do. Pinch hitting, bunting, double switches, etc, are all a part of a NL game and none are being utilized correctly by the AI. Even in post season play where it matters most.

We need to seriously examine the direction that this topic should be headed. I have provided three very vaild arguments for the DH in the NL. I see no reason why this should not happen, and the only way to see if it can is to put it up for a vote by NL GM's ONLY.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 3
  2. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

The NL should have the DH. Its usually old people who disagree, but if even PAgamer07 thinks it should happen...

• Like Like x 2
  3. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    The AL should give up their DH then or lets go back to 16/14 and get rid of interleague play.

4. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I've seen the light. Let the NL have the DH. It will make the FA market a lil more cut throat. And who doesn't love a lil more bloodshed? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Fuck it I'm in. Maybe the NL can win a World Series then

• Like Like x 1
  6. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    I'm fine with this, although I'm not sure as to the short term effectiveness. Most teams already have a large portion of their budget wrapped in players. Its going to take a few seasons before some if not most teams have the money to spend on a suitable DH. In terms of in game strategy though, I'm sure it will have an immediate impact.

I'm sure purists like Timpegoose wont want to see this happen, but tbqh this is our league to shape and form how we see fit. We've already done that with a number of things (including a drastic change to the draft - which is arguably a bigger more unrealistic change then adding the DH would / will be).

7. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Nah, keep the NL with no DH. The purity of the game just doesn't fit by having the NL have a DH. I may not be an NL GM but for purity sake of the game I'd be against it.

Same reasons I feel that Wrigley and Fenway should never be taken down, or old Yankee Stadium should never have been torn down. The history of the games there is too much to just replace it or get rid of them. It's the same feel I have for the AL with DH and NL without it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    For purity sake? lol. Thats such a bad argument in this league.

• Like Like x 2
  9. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Well I expanded a little more on my thoughts after I posted the original so if you re-check my post you'll see what I meant.

10. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    I understand that, but this isnt real life, its a game. If you care so much about the "history" of baseball then we should really go back to the days when neither league had the DH. We've drastically changed multiple things in this league, I just dont understand why you would be against changing something that affects the competitive balance of the league.

• Like Like x 1
  11. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

kdpnutter

I'm not saying you are wrong or right, we are in 2026 as to say the league would or wouldn't change by then is difficult to say. Plus this league while looking as realistic as we can, we have the chance to do what we want with the league.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

I'm not discounting others opinions on the idea of a DH for the NL. I am merely just stating my point of view for what I feel on it, I just have a big belief in keeping certain historical aspects to the league. I mean heck to NeuroticTruth point, I wouldn't be opposed to going back to pitchers hitting in both leagues, but from a sheer historical aspect you think of AL with the DH and NL without. I understand the issues with the game management and not handling it very well. I just like to keep some of the regular aspects since we already have blown up the draft and everything else.

Ruth, Cy Young, Cobb all did it and had to hit. I maybe in the minority of things and that's fine but just my perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Make the NL win a world series and then give them DH. It has to happen, there has to be a hero.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    So you honestly feel that the NL will never have the DH in real life? I'm betting they have one before 2020, especially with Selig out of office.

• Like Like x 1
  15. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Where's Colemanchu to comment on this

16. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

A DH on those Miami teams...

[​IMG]

17. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    On a serious note, I can really only get on board with this if I can get a "humidor" in Coors. Just looking at this season for the Rockies:

Home
    68 Games
    424 Runs Allowed
    6.2 RA Per Game
    410 Runs Scored
    6.0 Runs Per Game

Road
    66 Games
    289 Runs Allowed
    4.3 RA Per Game
    241 Runs Scored
    3.6 Runs Per Game

While I may be more competitive at home, I think that's because it's really just a crap shoot in Coors when you have both sides averaging 6 runs per game. You add in a DH and that could potentially jump up to 7 runs per game which is nuts, imo. There's no way to effectively combat that when putting together a roster and then the whole pitching staff gets pissed all the time because they're putting up shitty performances.

• Like Like x 2
  18. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Damnit, Jesse. Why couldn't we post this before I traded Costa?!

Anyways, I'm a baseball "purist," and I'm all for this.

19. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

No, I don't believe they will. NL has shown they can win World Series without it, and I just believe there are too many that feel it would change the landscape of things too much if they changed it. Even after Bud leaves the Commissioners office.

20. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

I think it's time for the NL guys to join the big boys. Wish we had some more NL owners chime in here.

21. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
  22. Masler

Masler Moderator

If it will help me win more games and get some of my hitters into the lineup, I'll vote for it.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I think it makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  24. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I would be absolutely shocked if the MLB doesn't institute a DH in the NL within the next 10 years. I'd place a large wager on it happening. I mean, it wasn't too long ago that interleague play, the wild card, the second wild card, divisional realignment, and the Astros moving to the AL seemed like they would completely change the landscape of baseball. Baseball needs to adapt, and the DH in the NL is just an inevitable movement towards modernization.

• Like Like x 1
  25. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Looks like a majority already, doesn't it?