Wildcard Weekend: Green Bay Packers @ San Francisco 49ers

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Boom29, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Jul 7, 2011

Niners Advance to Divisional Round
    defeat Green Bay 31-3 at home

What many expected would be a close game, turned into a decisive 49ers victory as the San Francisco defense turned back short-handed Green Bay who was playing with star WR Greg Jennings and HB James Starks.

The tone for the game was set on the Packers' first snap of the game as an out pass by Pro-Bowler QB Aaron Rodgers was picked off and returned 23 yards for a touchdown by CB Carlos Rogers to give the Niners a 7-0 lead. After forcing a Green Bay punt on their next possession, the 49ers would tack on three more points to take a 10-0 lead. The Packers cut the deficit to seven as they marched down the field before settling for a field goal, but little did they know that this would be their best drive of the game.

San Francisco would extend their lead midway through the second quarter on a Michael Crabtree TD catch on a third and goal from around the Green Bay 15 yard line. Green Bay would punt once again after failing to move the ball, allowing San Francisco another change to extend the lead before half. After stopping the 49ers offense on first and second down, QB Alex Smith hooked up with WR Randy Moss on a 41 yard pass down the middle of the field after the Packers safety had jumped an out route. Though Moss was brought down right around the 20 yard line, the play put San Francisco in a position to take control of the game. Sure enough, on the next play, Smith would find Crabtree once again for a TD, this time connecting on a post. With the score, the Niners took a 24-7 lead, which considering the way their defense was playing almost seemed insurmountable.

Any hope that the Packers had of getting back into the game evaporated on the first drive of the second half as Smith found WR Mario Manningham on a short curl route which Manningham then turned into a 79 yard TD reception. Now with a 31-3 lead, the 49ers defense was able to tee off on Rodgers and harassed him to the tune of six sacks on the day. It was evident throughout the game that the absence of Jennings allowed the 49ers defense to be more aggressive with the Green Bay receivers and to put more pressure on the quarterback.

dakota7, Good game. Like you said, the first play kind of set the tone. Knowing I had a freebie 7-0 lead, I was able to relax and just told my self not to turn it over.

Notable Stats
    Green Bay Packers San Francisco 49ers
    QB Aaron Rodgers - 14/26, 205 yards, INT QB Alex Smith - 15/23, 305 yards, 3 TD
    HB Cedric Benson - 8 car, 18 yards, long 9, fumb HB Frank Gore - 21 car, 64 yards, long 11
    WR Jordy Nelson - 6 rec, 123 yards, long 32 WR Michael Crabtree - 5 rec, 61 yards, 2 TD, long 21
    WR Donald Driver - 3 rec, 37 yards, long 31 WR Mario Manningham - 3 rec, 120 yards, TD, long 79
    DT BJ Raji - 6 tack, TFL DE Ray McDonald - 5 tack, 5 TFL, 4 sack
  2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Sep 23, 2009
    Good game Boom29 I wish I could have that first play back...lol