Wildcat

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by natedawg212000, Nov 4, 2009.

1. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Wildcat

new dolphins owner ran it 30 times according to the Bills owner. I have a major problem with running wildcat more than 10-15 times MAX.

Thoughts on what we do here?

2. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

First off, these two owners do not like each other. Sweetlouis posted a huge rant,cussing Bluebean in the 4th and 1 league about Bluebeans play-style and his use of screens and such. I am sure you remember it Nate.

Our only course of action is to make sure all owners aware that running the WILDCAT more thant 15 timers per game is simply not allowed. I hate to put a number on this because game could go into overtime and his wildcat use could be maxed out,taking away a huge part of owner's offense.

Another thing we can maybe think about trying is, only allowing WILDCAT plays in certain areas of the field or on certain downs. Not sure if this in even feasible but just throwing things out there.

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Hard to legislate that. That means that the owner playing against a wildcat running team would have to count it up.

In fairness though, if anyone is running the Wildcat offense more, it SHOULD be the Dolphins. But mixing it up is definitely a concern. If the Dolphins owner is mixing it up, I got no problem with the Wildcat coming up a lot.

4. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

i agree with winuvas...we need to see how much the dolphins run that a game...i know they run it at least 10 times...i do think mixing it up and setting a limit on them could be good...but there is ways to stop the wildcat...ive done it... in my opinion if its a formation than you should be able to do it...

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

To piggyback a bit on cade, Doesn't running wildcat type stuff fall under the play calling mixup anyway? I mean, if he chooses to run Wildcat all game long, as long as he's running different plays, it should be okay, right?

I haven't looked at the Dolphins playbook, so I don't know this for sure, but I know my playbook has a wildcat formation in it. It has exactly three plays: run right, power right (pulling left guard) and HB blast.

That's it. I usually wait until the offense calls a play to call my defense, so if I see wildcat, wouldn't you just rush 6 or 7 guys and contain the outside burst?

Seems like to me Wildcat all the time would be a hindrance more than a help.

6. natedawg212000

I don't want to put a limit on this either, but what do we do here? 30 times is totally unrealistic in a 8 min quarter game. Real life dolphin maybe run it 15 times on the high mark of a real life 15 min quarter game. Suggestions on what we do? just warn?

7. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

I say put it out there that its ridiculous.. who knows if he ran it 15 times or 30? Your taking a man's word that is saying he ran it a lot. If i saw a play 15 times in a game I'd say he did it 30 times. 30 is insane, I dont even get that many pass attempts in a game. Not sure what ruling should be made.. If hes not winning or glitching it doesn't see to matter.

8. natedawg212000

imo it does matter if hes running that many plays. i guess i am confused on what your saying. Should we do nothing and just let ppl run 25 wildcats all game long with stud rbs which is unrealistic?

9. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Not every team uses a playbook that has wildcat though. Like I said, I only have 3 wildcat plays in my book. And none of them are throws. Does the wildcat playbooks have a pass in them in that formation? If not, let them run wildcat. I'll just run engage eight and send 8 men into the box against them.

If we want to limit wildcat, I'm game. I just don't see how we can do it.

10. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

Well look what happened... The dolphins owner said he ran it 15 times. 15 times can look like 30... thats what I'm sayin. Bluebean was more than likely exaggerating and looks like he was guilty of some cheap stuff of his own.

Limit it I guess but I dont think any one team can really destroy a defense using it unless you are the vikings, but Jeremy wouldnt do that. I say cap it at 15 then.

11. Branden

Branden Walk On

REally you cant just limit a playcall especially a formation in the playbook.

can you really take a mans word for it and like mustang said people could think tht they ran it more than said and theres really no way of montiorign it.

Secondly if he ran it 15 times (or 30) was it back to back to back and stuff like that we would never really know
    if hes mixing it up then great run it 30 times and if hes losing i nthe process thers really no big deal there i dont think

for another it is up to the defense to stop whatever is ran

12. natedawg212000

thats bull braden. its not up to the owner to stop it, its up to us to make sure we have game play that is fun AND competitive. It's not fun to line up and know that the dude across from you is going to run the same freakin' 3 plays all game long just 'because they work'

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

As odd as this sounds, I agree with both of you. Nate, you're right in the fact that it's bull to run the same three plays over and over again "because they work". And Branden, you're right in the sense that it will be very difficult to monitor wildcat usage.

So what is a solution to the problem at hand, which is, apparently, too much wildcatting. I wish I had an answer. I don't, but I'm open to suggestions to fixing the supposed problem.

14. natedawg212000

i don't want to monitor it, but i do wanna figure out what we can do. I suppose if it continues to get out of hand we have to do something. Just aggravating i suppose.

15. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I think best thing to do is just create awareness that too much wildcat formation that is unrealistic will cause the league to either:

1. limit plays of usage of wildcat
    2. Ban it altogether

I think saying that either of those options are very much a possibility will curtail further problems since they know we mean business as far as playcalling goes.

16. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

i say limit it...i dont want it banned...

17. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Oh I'm not suggesting we ban it. I think the threat of banning will work in this case though.

18. Branden

Branden Walk On

Nate thts not wat i was sayin i was sayin running it back to back to back but different run plays from the wildcat a couple times in a row thts cool to do and if thts the case it is in the defenders hanbds to stop it. I play with the titans and everyone knows whats coming and thts either running with CJ or handing it off to lendale 60 percent of the time in tht case running the wildcat is just about the same! And really how do we plan on limiting it?