Windy City Weekly: Chicago Bears News

Discussion in 'Game Summaries & Team News' started by RVallee, Mar 15, 2014.

1. RVallee

RVallee Walk On

BEARS ANNOUNCE NEW HEAD COACH/ GM

[​IMG]

The Chicago Bears have announced the hiring of RV as their new Head Coach and GM. RV is a virtual unknown on Tradition Sports, but it is not his first stint in the leagues here. He spent a short time in the now defunct VFL as the Buccaneer Head Coach in Madden 13, most notably drafting stud CB J.J. Smoke. We were able to sit down with RV after his press conference for a one on one interview.

WCW: First off coach, welcome to Chicago.

RV: Thank you very much, I'm excited to be here.

WCW: Coach, taking over a 1-15 team, where do you start turning this thing around?

RV: Well, I think it's more in attitude, and execution. You look at this team on paper, and you don't see a one win football team. There is a lot of talent here. A ton of it. But also, you don't go 1-15 because you're unlucky. There's also a reason you have a record like that. But I truly believe we can turn things around here...and fairly quickly.

WCW: Is there a Quarterback controversy in Chicago?

RV: I think it's a bit early to tell. Drew Brees isn't quite a spring chicken, so whether he decides to retire or not, that will have an impact. Otherwise, we have 4 QBs on roster and all seen game action last season, and that's generally not a good thing. I think most likely we'll have them duke it out in camp.

WCW: You have the first overall pick in the draft. Do you have a strategy or a target in mind so far?

RV: No, not at all. It's just way too early just yet to have any sort of indication of what we'll do. We have resignings, the combine, and free agency yet. So much can change between now and then.

WCW: Have you been contacted by other teams about trading down from number one?

RV: Yes, we have.

WCW: Biggest strength of the Bears as they are currently?

RV: I'd say...probably offensively, in general. Great line play. I think if we can get consistent quarterback play, we could have a really potent offense. There is weapons here. Great WRs led by Alshon. And I think Clante Tanelus has the talent to be a special player.

WCW: Ok, and the biggest weakness?

RV: I'd say the opposite, the defense, in general. I'm a bit worried about how these guys will fit to my scheme. Or else to change my scheme to fit them. Most of what I do predicates from the pressure on the QB by the defensive line, and I think that was probably their biggest struggle last season on defense, so that's something that needs to be addressed. Age is a bit of a concern also, I'd like to get a bit younger.

WCW: Talk about the NFC North.

RV: Well it's from the outside looking in, obviously, as I'm not familiar with anyone, but it looks like a very strong, competitive division. The Vikings have the best HB in the game, adding Tavon Austin and completey revamping the defense. The Packers have the best QB in the game. The Lions underachieved a bit, and have the best WR in the game. So it's kind of crazy having all these weapons in the division to face twice a year. But I really look forward to competing and trying to make the Bears a contender again.

WCW: Thanks Coach, and good luck this offseason and upcoming year.

RV: Thank you.

• Like Like x 4
  2. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Great stuff Ryan. Glad to see you are putting lots of thought into your team! (y)

Defensive scheme selection can be quite the conundrum. Often times it is dependent on the pieces that you have. I'm looking forward to seeing what/how you do. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. RVallee

RVallee Walk On

For sure! I've ran the same PB for 3 straight Maddens lol, so I'm pretty ingrained in my defensive scheme. The nice thing is having two straight offseasons to try and revamp this here, makes it a lot easier than just jumping into a 1-15 squad.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Exactly! Glad to have somebody aboard who appreciates the system!

5. RVallee

RVallee Walk On

[​IMG]

OFFSEASON RECAP 2018

Free Agency

Players who left:

TE Martellus Bennett
    HB Matt Forte (cut)

Players signed:

HB Andre Brown
    WR Ryan Broyles
    WR/KR Ace Sanders
    DE Derrick Morgan
    LB Doug Hogue
    FS DJ Swearinger

Nothing huge here, on either side. Bennett seemed a lock to test Free Agency all year. And long-time Bear Forte's regression made it all but impossible to keep him considering his contract. The more suprising thing was the lack of talent brought in during Free Agency. After cutting Forte the Bears had nearly 65m in cap space to use. They were rumored to have made a substantial offer to WR Tavon Austin, but it was quoted as being "childs play" compared to the almost 160m he received in signing with the Sentinels. They were also spurned by FA CB Darius Slay, who decided to take a 2 yr deal with the Buccaneers. The Bears brought in depth guys but nothing more. Bears fans are left scratching their heads, as the team will start the season with still over 50m of unused cap space.

The Draft

RD 1.1 - CB Frank Milliner - L.A. Tech
    94 spd - 96 acc - 89 mcv - 87 agi - 80 awr - 73 cth

72 zcv - 71 pur - 54 prc - 74 jmp

War Room: After we were unable to find a deal to trade down, we decided on picking biggest need, which we felt was either CB or Rush DE. We didn't feel there was a DE here to go #1, so we narrowed it down to Milliner, Cecil Spence, and Evan Bell. We honestly thought Spence was the most NFL ready, with Bell right there, but Milliner we thought had the best long-term upside, specifically because of his combination of speed and acceleration. Scouting only CB and DL, we were able to scout quite in depth at those positions. Really love what we got with Milliner, with that said, we have to work on his Zone ability and his PRC.

RD 2.1 - DT Mylan Middlebrooks - Furman
    82 spd - 87 acc - 82 fmv - 76 bsh - 72 pmv

72 str - 64 prc - 65 tak

War Room: We were all praying DE Deshaunta Minor was still there at pick 33, but Baltimore snatched him up at, I believe 19. So with Minor gone it was either Middlebrooks here or DE Jaron Millard. Ended up happy with Middlebrooks, and after seeing his complete skillset, it was obvious this guy was a DE, not a DT, so we have moved him to LE. Wish he was a bit stronger, but he has a great combination of pass rushing moves, and great speed/acc that we were looking for.

RD 3.1 - DE Jaron Millard - Franklin College
    85 spd - 86 agi - 74 pmv - 75 fmv - 76 bsh - 80 tak

74 acc - 75 str - 66 prc

War Room: Ended up getting Millard anyway, as he was there one round later. Really decent player here, but the lack of acceleration is a bit of a killer. But we can't be mad at the value, getting a solid backup-type player who is good enough to spot start when you need him.

RD 4.1 - LB Trevon Hudson - Truman State

War Room: This is where things started to fall apart a bit. We missed this pick, so this was a cpu pick, and he's terrible.

RD 5.1 - CB Deantre Carillon - Duquesne
    87 acc - 85 zcv - 74 prc - 86 cth

74 spd - 69 agi - 73 mcv - 68 awr

War Room: This was our own pick, and one I was honestly somewhat excited about. We somewhat had him scouted and saw some great grades on him, and he has some outstanding ones. But 74 spd for a CB? C'MON Madden. Ugh. So really not sure where to go with this guy. He's a possible safety candidate, but that 74 spd is even slow for a safety. Most likely will be released.

RD 6.1 - Gianni Batelmy - Tulsa

War Room: Went LB here for depth purposes. Batelmy is a 66 spd LB, so more than likely he will be released.

RD 7.1 - HB Chaquill Terry - Oklahoma

War Room: Another bad pick, Terry has already been released.

GRADE - B

All in all pretty happy with the draft. Addressed two huge needs in CB and DE. Beyond Round 3 was a disappointment but that is a bit expected, it's just frustrating to have basically unplayable guys in there simply because of the crazy speed ratings. Should be able to grab depth guys in late rounds, but when it's 66 spd LB's, 74 spd CB's and 72 spd HB's, that's a lot to ask lol.

Happy with the draft, not happy with Free Agency. Wasn't a lot in my needs department anyway, but with so much money to spend, and to come away with nothing more than a few depth guys was quite disappointing. It means I have to really kill this next Free Agency or I may be in trouble.

• Like Like x 4
  6. RVallee

RVallee Walk On

[​IMG]

0-2 Start in Chicago

Week 1: Cardinals 38 Bears 35

If you love offense, this was the game for you. The Bears allowed a shocking 469 yards of offense to the Cardinals, including 3 touchdowns of 65 yards or more. Fortunately for the Bears they were able to move the ball as well. This game was a back and forth affair, with 5 ties and neither team leading by more than a TD. The classic "team with the ball last will win the game" game, as the Cardinals were able to kick a FG in the closing seconds to seal the win.

Week 2: Lions 21 Bears 13

This was a much different game than Week 1. It seemed the Lions had a 21-0 lead before the Bears even got off the bus. The Bears were able to regroup somewhat, with the defense finally showing up in the second half, forcing 3 Matthew Stafford interceptions. The Bears could not capitalize however, throwing two picks of their own, in the red zone no less, and settling for two FG's. ---EDIT---- I'd be amiss if I didn't mention Ndamukong Suh's leaping INT in the redzone. I'm still in awe of the play, so much so I investigated a bit further and saw Suh has a shocking 56 CTH rating, so it made me feel slightly better about the whole thing (even with Jeffery and Ellison both dropping key passes in the redzone late :unsure:)

POSITVES:

-- Alshon Jeffery has stepped into the #1 WR role nicely. 13 rec 182 yrds and a TD so far in two games. In fact all the WRs have played well so far.

-- Ace Sanders has been amazing. Despite solid RET ratings, I was worried about his average speed (88). He has responded with a 100+ yard kickoff return TD in each game.

-- Leland Tyrell, guy is an animal. Leading the team in tackles so far, he is everywhere, always seems to be near the ball.

NEGATIVES:

-- The defense in general, but mostly the lack of a pass rush. 0 sacks so far, and I honestly don't think I've even been close to getting a sack. Just no pressure at all, and especially disappointing after giving 140m contract to a LE.

-- Running game has not been there. I expected Tanelus to be a bit of a stud, but he hasn't been. I'm attributing it a bit more to offensive line play than the HB's themselves, as both teams I've played have seemed strong up front, and I'm getting hit immediately after handoff on many plays.

-- Quarterback. Week 1 was ok, Week 2 was terrible. I thought Smithey's 90 THP would be fine, I'm not one to think THP is everything. But after playing in leagues with the Lions/Stafford (99) and Titans/Locker (95), it is absolutely noticeable to me. There is just certain throws he cannot make. 6 picks in 2 games is not a recipe for winning. Of course a few of those were bad decision throws also.

-- Alshon hurt. Left the Lions game in the 4th and is out 5 Weeks, which puts him back Week 7 against the Eagles. The WR group has played well so far, but I don't see any of them as a #1 type to be able to replace Alshon, so it may be a long few weeks.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RVallee

RVallee Walk On

CHANGES?

@AdamSchefter

Sources say the Bears have signed FA QB Tyler Bray to a one year deal. #QBcontroversy #strongarmstrongwill

@AdamSchefter

Bears have released backup QB Lucas Miles to make room for the Bray signing.

A shocking move by the Bears? Yes, but maybe not as shocking as you think. Bray was brought in twice by the Bears during the offseason FA period, and was thought to be close to a deal. It never worked out, mostly because of Blake Bell resigning with the team. Erratic play by Logan Smithey has made it seem like a knee-jerk reaction, but it's most likely more a depth issue than anything and was likely already in the works. Or was it? Shortly before deadline of this brief, ESPN's Adam Schefter released one more tweet:

@AdamSchefter

Sources with the Bears are saying Bray has the playbook, and will push Smithey for Week 3 start vs Green Bay. #ohsnap #kneejerkanyone? #crayyyforBrayyy

• Like Like x 2
  8. RVallee

RVallee Walk On

[​IMG]

BEARS FORCE 5 TURNOVERS, STILL LOSE

One of the more telling stats in the NFL (and Madden) is turnover differential. You win the turnover battle, more than likely you win the game. But the Bears proved on Sunday that's not always the case, in telling fashion, forcing 5 turnovers to the Colts 2, yet still losing the game, 21-14.

It was another ugly game to watch for Bears fans. The story besides the turnovers, was the Colts outgaining the Bears offense, 330 yards to 119. The Bears defense once again looked clueless, giving up long plodding drives, unable to get off the field on 3rd downs. The saving grace was the turnovers, specifically the forced fumbles, as the Bears forced 5 in all, recovered 3 of them, and returned 2 of them for TD's, which ended up their only points of the game.

The Bears QB situation is nearing train-wreck status, as Tyler Bray, in his 3rd start, continues to look terrible. Bray struggled to make throws, and didn't receive any help from the WR's, who struggled to get separation from the Colt's ever-present Man Coverage.

Things don't look any better for the Bears, who travel to Philly this week to face the 4-1 Eagles.

• Like Like x 3
  9. RVallee

RVallee Walk On

Bears 23
    Lions 7

[​IMG]

Bears Notch First Win of the Season, Injuries Strike Again

The Bears finally get into the win column, with a 23-7 victory over the Detroit Lions. The Bears defense finally looked on point, specifically the secondary, who picked off Matthew Stafford 5 times in the win. Stafford looked erratic most of the game, and was unable to find his #1 target Calvin Johnson until late in the game. Mega finished with just 2 catches for 34 yards and a TD. "It's always tough to face him" said Bears CB Khalid Wooten, who was assigned to Johnson most of the game. "There is really no easy way to defend him. I had Major over the top for me all game and we even send a LB underneath sometimes to help out. It's just crazy. But today we were able to do the job."

Bears QB Tyler Bray had his best game to date, going 9/14 for 117 yards and a TD, and most importantly, no interceptions. This included a picture-perfect 16 yard TD pass to Marquess Wilson in the back of the end zone between two Lions defenders. Le'veon Bell lead the rushing attack for the Bears, running for 58 yards and a TD on 15 carries. Whispers in Chicago are that Bell is really pushing Ciante Tanelus for the starting job, and this game did nothing to quell those rumors, as Tanelus ran the ball just 7 times, and continues to struggle finding any kind of running room.

As nice of a win as it was, the Bears took a major loss in the game, losing All-Pro OLB Leland Tyrell for the rest of the season, with a fractured shoulder blade, of all things. Tyrell was leading the team in tackles, and has the last two seasons. LB Jon Bostic played most of the game in place of Tyrell, and is expected to see the bulk of snaps for him. The Bears were already without starting CB Frank Milliner, who was injured last week against the Eagles, and is expected to miss two more games. CB Isiah Frey made the most of time, moving up to Nickel CB, intercepting Matthew Stafford twice. Tyrell is the third real significant injury the Bears have been dealt this season, with Milliner, and WR Alshon Jeffery, who missed 5 games.

The Bears go at another division opponent next week, facing the 4-2 Vikings.

• Like Like x 2
  10. RVallee

RVallee Walk On

Bears 23
    Vikings 7

[​IMG]

The Bears win their second in a row, with a 23-7 victory over the Vikings. The Vikings offense just couldn't quite get on track, as the Bears defense played very well for the second game in a row. It was by far Vikings QB Josh Freeman's worst game of the year. He came into the game with a 128.8 QBR, but against the Bears Sunday finished with just a 55.5 QBR, and throwing a season-high 4 interceptions.

"It's like watching a different team almost" said Coach RV after the game. "I mean, whether it's them just starting to gel as a unit or them finally starting to get it, it seems to be finally coming around. The D has been visibly stronger the last few games, there is no doubt about that."

Two things seem to stand out. First thing, is we are finally starting to see a pass rush from the guys up front. 9 sacks in the last two games, and DE Mylan Middlebrooks was on fire against the Vikings, getting 3 sacks himself. The second, is turnover differential. In the last 4 games, the Bears have 16 takeaways, to just 5 turnovers. They are 2-2 in that stretch, but it shows that the success will come around.

Unfortunately, once again the injury bug bites the Bears. Before the Vikings game, the Bears placed OLB Leland Tyrell on IR, and signed CB Dijon Boyd to the practice squad. They expect starting CB Frank Milliner back next week. But HB Le'Veon Bell, who had been looking better and better all season, and was pushing starter Ciante Tanelus for the spot, broke his collarbone in the 3rd Quarter, and is expected to miss the remainder of the season. The Bears placed Bell on IR after the game, and signed vet Ben Tate to take Bell's spot in the lineup.

The Bears face the 2-5 Redskins next week.

• Like Like x 3
  11. RVallee

RVallee Walk On

[​IMG]

BEARS 38
    REDSKINS 24

The Bears continued their hot streak, beating the Redskins for their 3rd victory in a row. This improves the Bears record to 3-6, which, don't look now, but creeps them a bit into talk about a Wildcard spot, and even the Division, although that would take an epic collapse by the Packers. The Bears could help themselves out with that this week, as they travel to Green Bay, in a game that suddenly has pretty big proportions.

The Redskins couldn't seem to get out of their own way, and in fact was a classic "Madden" game unfortunately, as everything seemed to swing the Bears way. Lost fumble, a few terrible RG3 throws, and actual TD that was not called a TD on the field, and was unable to be reviewed (apparently he stepped out of the back of the endzone, though it appeared to be caught maybe 5 yards deep, but in traffic and stumbled out) and of course penalties, a holding, a facemask, a roughing the passer. That said the Redskins offense was tough, and RG3 is scary fast as he caught the Bears sleeping and broke off a 57 yd TD run.

Tyler Bray keeps improving, having his best game of the year so far, 11/16 229yds 3 TD and 1 INT. After struggling in his first starts, he is finally seeming to come around, and is going to make a difficult decision for the Bears front office come offseason. Also of note was HB Ciante Tanelus, who FINALLY had a game like I've expected him to have, 18 car 110yds and a TD, this is his first 100yd+ game of the season.

Injuries struck again, as starting MLB Doug Hogue broke his collarbone, and will miss 5 games. Injuries have been brutal for this Bears team. Hogue has played well at MLB (user) and along with the loss of starter OLB Leland Tyrell, there is a big hole in the LB crew. The Bears signed FA MLB Sean Spence to help out, and released rookie Safety Tharold Reedy to make a roster spot for the signing.

• Like Like x 2
  12. RVallee

RVallee Walk On

[​IMG]

BEARS 23
    PACKERS 20

It's one of the longest rivalries in all of sports, and this one came down to the wire just like so many Bears-Packers games before. This game was a story of defense, turnovers, and a controversial call at the end of the game, led to a Bears game-winning FG.

The Packers had a great offensive gameplan and ran an effective ball control offense most of the first half. In fact, their first drive of the game ate up almost the entire first quarter, and ended with an Eddie Lacy TD run from 4 yards out. The Bears were able to answer that score with a TD of their own, a 3 yard pass to Alshon Jeffery. The ensuing kickoff, Randall Cobb ran it back 99 yards for the TD, and the lead. A Tyler Bray interception led to another FG and the Pack were up 17-7. The Bears added a FG to make a score of 17-10 at halftime.

The Bears were able to tie the game at 17 in the second half, on a perfect pass to Ayron Ellison for a 30yd TD reception. This is when two key plays of the game happened. First, the Packers were able to drive down once again, and faced a 4th and in from inside the 5yd line. Instead of kicking the FG, they went for it, and converted. But after two plays of no gain, Packer QB Jonathon Upersesa was sacked on 3rd down by blitzing LB Sam Acho, forcing the Packers to kick a FG anyway. The Bears once again tied the game, at 20, and the Packers once again drove the field, picking up a first down all the way to the Bears 30 yard line, with just under a minute left. Instead of running the ball to force the Bears to use their timeouts, already in FG range, the Packers gambled and threw on first down. Bears CB Nolan Carroll undercut the route and picked the ball off. The Bears were able to drive down, and kick the game winner as time expired.

The Bears continue their hot streak, albeit it hasn't been pretty, and after an 0-6 start, find themselves clawing back into the NFC North at 4-6, in third place, but just 2 games back of the Packers and 1 back of the 5-5 Vikings, and who they play next week. The Wildcard is not out of the question, but they would need a ton of help and a lot of losing from the teams ahead of them, as the Cowboys look to have all but secured a spot at 7-3, and 5 teams sit at either 6-4 or 5-4.

GG CSteud

• Like Like x 4
  13. CSteud

CSteud Walk On

GG man...my kicker blows and anything past 45 yds is very questionable. I thought I had your defender beat but you made a nice play on the pick..Good luck the rest of the season.

• Like Like x 3