Wisconsin steals a win from Pitt....

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by jms493, Jan 23, 2011.

1. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

2 Teams coming into the season with high hopes and expectations.

Pitt started out on firing taking a 14-0 lead by nice running and passing mix. They marched down the field like Wisconsin had 4 guys back there. At 14-0 Pitt, the Badgers need a score and they still are going to try and gash the defense with Star HB David Jones. Well Jones broke a 79 yard run for a TD. This didn't phase Pitt too much as they continued the tough mix of pass and run and scored again with a 7 yard TD run from HB Fergeson. 21-7 Pitt.

Wisconsin stalls on offense with about 4 min left in the 2nd quarter. Pitt takes the ball and AGAIN marches down the field until disaster strikes on about the 40 yard line. Fergeson fumbles and Wisconsin has life (turning point). Mega Star WR Ken Lewis has 0 targets so far. Well it was time to end that. One on one on the right side line Lewis gets behind the CB on a deep streak and Fox just launched it hoping Lewis would catch up with it. It was an easy catch as the Safety was late in coming over but Lewis managed to break both tackles to then rumble for a 64 yard TD. The half ends 24-14 Pitt.

Wisconsin gets the ball and calls a play action pass after a few runs and as everyone is looking at Lewis, QB Fox hits HB David Jones as he beats the backer and runs for a 51 Yard TD reception. Wisconsin is alive b/c of 3 BIG plays. Pitt coach Rynoaid must be sick at this point as his team is playing great expect 3 plays. 24-21 Pitt

Small adjustments on defense and it seemed like the Badger CBs starting to cover the Out and comeback routes that were killing them in the 1st half. Wisconsin takes the lead for the first time off a nice drive capped off by a 17 yard TD reception by #3 WR Joe Mcfadden. 28-24 Wisc.

Pitt answers in the 4th quarter with a drive and 21 yard TD pass to TE Bo Louis. 31-28 Pitt. Then disaster strikes for the Badgers on a 3rd and 2 Fox is looking for a short out route to the TE....throws it and immediately knows its bad news...INT and Pitt scores again to take a 38-28 lead with 1:45 left in the game....Wisconsin pretty much is ready to throw in the white flag.

Seeing a prevent defense from Pitt, Fox and crew soar down the field and score in like 4 plays (in Hotrod fashion). 38-35 Pitt.

Having all their timeouts Wisconsin elects to kickoff and play defense to try and get a 3 and out. On a key 3rd and 2 Pitt calls a toss left and that is exactly what we played for. Pitt is forced to punt. Wisconsin moves quickly into FG range (i dont remember the sequence of plays. Wait for video) and can at least tie but with about 30 secs left they could also go for the win. On a 3rd and 9 Wisconsin calls a 4 WR set to get QB/WR Fields on the field. Fox throws a perfect inside slot pass to Major Fields for a 19 yard TD with 19 secs left. 41-38 Wisconsin.....SMH...game.

Wisconsin had NO BUSINESS winning the game. Pitt outplayed them in every fashion but did studder a bit offensively in the 3rd quarter which allowed Wisconsin to stay close. David Jones was Player of the game with 186 yards and 3 total TDS. Lewis only caught 3 balls but they were all deep passes which really killed the Pitt Defensive spirit. Pitt did a good job of keeping a safety on his side to help as Fox is always looking for him on pass plays. Wisconsin will always be a run first team and no matter how good Lewis is we always want to run the ball 20+ times a game.

Pitt played an almost flawless game and if they converted that 3rd and 2 with a min left Rynoaid is writing this summary. I really dont see them losing another game unless injury plagues them. Look for a Pitt scouting report soon.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

You give yourself too little credit. :D

GG fellas

3. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

Just another example of Pitt and specifically their coaching staff failure to get stops at the end of games. When offenses get desperate, we fall apart and give up the big play. Not sure I will ever get over the hump and win these type of games. Feeling like your in control with 1:45 left, then watching a Dime defense get shredded on 4 plays is dis-heartning to say the least. Here's to hoping they work on the zone defense in 2012.... It should never be that easy to move the ball on 6 CB's.

Give JMS credit, he took what he could and i wasn't able to stop his 99ovr WR. Wisconsin made some big plays and was able to overcome the lopsided TOP and stout opposition of a game Pitt team. Sorry i was bent afterwards... i made my point and im over it.

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I would have equally as pissed but after being burned by Hotrod over and over vs Dime and Nickel i knew it was possible. I was so mad and disappointed in myself after that terrible interception I threw.

5. jfosh

jfosh Super

You just need to win a few and then they start going your way.

Pitt needs to stay focused and back door into the BCS game. It can happen just ask Rutgers!!

GL Ryno

nice write up JMS.

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member