Would you consider it sim if......

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Wyrmreaver, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Okay, so no big deal really, but WGW and I disagreed on a minor point at the end of our game.

Situation is around 40 seconds left in the game. It is all tied up and he has the ball in the neighborhood of his own 25. I have no timeouts left. His WR breaks free and catches a bomb, there is nobody that can possibly catch him. Instead of scoring, he runs into the middle of the field and waits to be tackled, then 3 plays later kicks an easy FG.

What I said is that I thought not scoring on the play was a little cheesy and wouldn't happen IRL in that situation. He countered that sometimes players will take a knee and kick a FG. My feeling is that if he were down by 1 or 2 he would have been in the right because a TD gives me the ball back with a chance to score and take the lead. With it being a tie, I see no way that a guy wouldn't take the TD. The TD puts you up by a full TD and I have to go the length of the field in about 30 seconds with no timeouts. Going down in that spot raises the possibility of a botched snap or missed or blocked FG.

Again, I am not mad, it was a great game and when he caught the pass I was sure he had me beat either way. So I in no way think that his choice impacted the game from a win loss standpoint.

So, what do you guys think?

2. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

I don't think you'll ever see it by a receiver. They want their stats! Also you'd never see that from me. But at the same time I wouldn't consider it unsim. Strategy play.

3. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Kind of goes to the win at all cost thing I guess. I would never have done it. I dont think any college team would have done it either. Hell, the Giants tried to do it in the Super Bowl and the HB fell into the end zone. Sucks it happened. I would have found it questionable if I was playing but it is strategy I suppose.

4. Wyrmreaver

Felt like video game strategy to be and not football strategy. Like I said, it wasn't a huge deal and he had me either way.

5. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

it is a bit iffy, in that I have never seen a player give up a break away. My initial reaction to Wyrmreavers comment to me was, of course I have seen teams stop after a first down then kneel out the clock to kick the game winning FG. But after I thought about it I have never seen a player slow up on a break away.

I don't follow the it would be ok if the game was not tied logic, since the worst case scenario ( bad snap blocked kick) is a loss instead of overtime. Probably worse in that case, but thats not really important.

Had I not angled 45 degrees to the middle of the field and covered the ball, and instead ran straight to the goal-line, it is possible that my 84 speed WR would still have been caught from behind. Would Wyrmreaver have prevented his player from making the tackle, and would that be any different than intentionally not scoring to kick a FG as time expired?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  6. Wyrmreaver

It annoys me when people run defenders off, if my CB could have caught him I would have, I tried to run my guy off once I saw what you were doing though..... :)

7. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

I have never seen a receiver do this, but I have seen a couple instances of HBs going down at the one yard line. Seems kind of similar.

8. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

Cheez knows all about what's cheese and what's not.

9. Cheez

only because i played you for so long, mexi ;)

10. MexiRican35

You calling 4 straight runs at the goalline isn't cheese, just bad playcalling. :LOL:

11. Cheez

and you making a field goal that doesn't go over the bar is straight cheese, homey.

12. MexiRican35

Those refrees are the same ones used in this game

[​IMG]

13. Cheez

we're not friends anymore.

14. Jayrah

Still contend this is the right call. Dual possession is by rule a touchdown. And don't start with the "this is not dual possession" business. By rule, it is.

And to the earlier point about running off defenders, some teams to allow scores to get the ball back. It's a strategy as well.

15. Cheez

a). it was not simultaneous possession. Jennings had possession first, which "by rule" would credit him with the interception.
    b). there was offensive pass interference, which the NFL has admitted and stated that the penalty should have been called. The penalty is called, the catch is nullified.
    c). M.D. Jennings is a freaking moron. BAT THE DAMN THING DOWN!
    d). get out of here with that homer trash

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

The issue probably is that kicking field goals is too easy in this game and that there's no way to fix it with sliders. If an Arkansas player knows his kicker is about 99% from inside 50, than he would be told to get down in those situations.

17. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Likewise, it's relatively easy to go the length of the field in 30 seconds in this game, which makes kicking a game-winning field goal much more appealing.

18. Wyrmreaver

If I had a couple timeouts I totally agree..... one sack or completion of less than 10 yards and it's over. I need a TD to tie, so sit back and give me short completions. If the roles were reversed I take the TD and put my D on the field every single time. While we occasionally see the whole take a knee not a TD strategy, given the game situation it seemed "video gamey" to me is all. Its not as if he cheesed his way to a win or any such nonsense though. I felt is was more sim to score the TD is all.

19. Jayrah

A) Here's the rule everyone forgets: If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact) by an opponent, he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone." Since both players ended up going to the ground on the play and both had the ball by the time they got there, (and in fact Tate gets to the ground first with both feet on the ground) it is BY RULE a dual possession.The Green Bay defender got outmuscled by GOLDEN TATE, which is funny in itself. On top of that, Tate's left hand makes 3 hands in the ball simultaneously that never leave the ball and since you can indeed make a one handed catch and there is no rule clarifying possession with 2 hands vs 1, it is a simultaneous possession.

The rule you are talking about is meant so that a player cannot tie up the ball after possession has been gained. Since you must control all the way through the process of contact with the ground to complete possession of the catch a player simultaneously in the air has as much right to the ball coming down as the defender. Had Jennings come to the ground and then Tate jumped on top to tie it up, you would be correct

B) Yes but the next week (with the real officials on the field) Colston blatantly pushes off to make a touchdown grab against GB with no call. In the Super Bowl there is a blatant hold/PI on the 4th down play to Crabtree that ends the game. Simply put, the officials don't always make that call and when it's game on the line, they're not always going to throw the flag. You're right, but that's the game sometimes.

C) Batting it down would have been best.

D) Not homer trash, just by rule that's the correct call.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  20. MexiRican35

Aw cmon. I thought it was funny. You could always throw a Romo joke at me.

21. Cheez

Romo hasn't cost you any games!

oh wait.

22. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Packers suck...period

• Like Like x 1
  23. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I would have used OMlawdog 's game genie to block the field goal and laugh all the way while profiting.

• Like Like x 1
  24. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Does his game genie help against the 3-3-5?

25. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    He's never actually let me borrow it. You'll have to ask him.:)