WR Screens - Sim or Cheese?

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by NatiSaint, Oct 30, 2009.

1. NatiSaint

NatiSaint Walk On

WR Screens - Sim or Cheese?

Hey guys,

I was wanting to get your take on the WR screen passes. I'm in probably more leagues than I should be and it seems that the WR screen is beginning to get banned in some of them.

I have noticed that the WR screen turns the AI into blocking dummies, as they stand there not pursuing the target regardless of formation resulting in a minimum 10 yd gain or more.

Wanted to see what you guys think of it? I personally don't use it but any play that takes advantage of EA's lackluster AI to me is cheese.

What do you think?

EDIT: This is in madden - i dont know about NCAA

2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

easy to stop, just play man and press, the WR will get jammed and the play will blow up. The jam is insane on madden, the WR can never get off it

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Okay. I was confused until your final sentence. In NCAA, WR screens seem to be very difficult to gain any yards from in my experience.

4. Newb Slice

Newb Slice Walk On

Madden you only gain yards if the person has his DBs off the wr 8 yards or in zone

but if you think its coming pick your DE and slant in front of WR, hold LT so your squared up then u have an easy pick or a knock down

5. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

The wr screens are interesting. It seems I either throw it away because of coverage, lose yardage because my blockers brain fart as I catch the ball, get the catch and work for 3 yards, and the very rare take it for a long gain or TD. As far as covering them, I have picked two off. One with an OLB on a press 3, and the other with a OLB on a zone contain play. The zone contain he made the pick almost in the tackle box. it was pretty neat. And my OLB's are at their natural position.

Mike

6. NatiSaint

NatiSaint Walk On

It's wierd bc I've tried pressing and i've tried running zones and mans and even audibling the DE into a flats coverage to go over there but i cant seem to stop it and they always get 10+ yards.

Looks like I am the only one with issues though. Game I just played not too long ago - guy ran 9-10 WR screens and scored off 4 of them. Rediculous to me.

7. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

i throw a couple a game and usually get absolutely nowhere on any of them

8. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

Anything in reason is awesome, over use is cruddy, but I'll be honest its anoying to see the Defender response at times. other times you can blow them up.

everyone knows a well timed screen can vaporize a blitz, and they work better against soft coverage or a blitz. and who you use is key. throwing one to the FB may work, hitting your PR/3rd down gimmick back is better.

Sometimes you blow them up, sometimes you get burnt.

Its like running outside, in my Sim PC background, we would have screamed "CHEESE" at the guy who ran it outside 20 times a game with a speed back, but truth be told, you dont see the NFL Saints sending Reggie Bush up the middle 30 times a game in ISO plays. SO i'm learning to be more relaxed about a play style. some guys will beat me with old fashioned game play. some guy with a lower rated team may use treachery and gimmicks/screens/ wildcat to weasel a win. so be it. this Version of Madden gives you a fighting chance. play fundamental ball and you will have a chance. I would hope a league would not ban screens just like they would not ban passes to a back, if some guy has a HB with 100 catches and the next closest Receiver is 30 catches behind, that guy is trying to abuse a flaw.

Ditto the screen guy, if every owner complains some douche is QB sprinting to throw junk screens, he will not last.

screens dont cheese people, people do. To borrow from the Gun ban bumper sticker.

inclosing. the NFL Pats ran 48 plays in their opener against the Bills, from the empty backfield set. we would call that cheese.