WSU's Piss Poor Defense

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by gowazzucougs, Dec 11, 2010.

1. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

As I have mentioned several times in my game write ups, my defense inability to tackle has cause me to basically pull my hair out, but how bad has it been. Well lets look at the stats (FH-first hit)

Week 1 Ohio: S Burch 5 BTK-27 yards after FH
    Week 2 Nebraska (user) B. Heard 4 BTK-15 yards after FH
    Week 4 UCLA (user) J. James 3 BTK-35 yards after FH
    Week 5 Arizona S. Neal 7 BTK 25 yards after FH
    Week 6 OSU M. Marable 7 BTK 62 yards after FH
    Week 7 CAL D. Yarnway 7 BTK 91 yards after FH, we also must include, in this game the QB D. Ricks broke 1 tackle (officially, replays show 2) and ran 46 yards for a TD (43 after FH)
    Week
    Week 8 ORE L. Seastrunk 10 BTK 157 yards after FH (this guy fucking killed me)
    Week 10 USC (user) D. Baxter 2 BTK-63 yards after FH
    Week 11 Stan A. Wilkerson 10 BTK-34 yards after FH
    Week 12 SDSU A. Muema 6 BTK 9 yards after FH
    Week 13 ASU D. Pierce 4 BTK 21 yards after FH
    Week 14 UW D. Cooper 9 BTK 52 yards after FH

As you can tell, my defense can tackle any user's running back. D. Baxter had one long run, but that happens in games. Arizona State needs to recruit a running back, because he only 4 BTKs, that is horrible compared to the rest of the conference. The CAL, and Oregon games make me furious because it was just ridiculous. Oregon scored 4 touchdowns, 3 times off Seastrunk carries of 77, 79, and 81 yards, in which he broke most of those 10 tackles. What I can't figure out is, last year my team really didn't have an issue with tackling, or I wasn't losing games because of it, but this year holy cow.

2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Dang, that's rough. What are the OVR and tackle ratings of your LB and S? I've found if those guys can't bring guys down 1 on 1 they better at least be fast enough to get 2-3 guys to the ball carrier.

3. gowazzucougs

MLB Derrick Yates-69 OVR, 76 TKL
    ROLB Joseph Jones-65 OVR, 72 TKL
    LOLB Sekope Kaufuski 68 OVR, 73 TKL

FS Snyder Lewis 70 OVR, 63 TKL
    SS Deone Buchanon 70 OVR 65 TKL

Buchanon is my only senior Lewis is a redshirt freshman, his back ups OVR are 61, 2 MLBs have been recruited, but I doubt they will have any impact next year.

4. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

To be honest, with tackle ratings no higher than 76, I'm shocked you didn't give up more rushing yards than you did. That's pretty decent defense with sub-par athletes on the defensive side of the ball.

5. gowazzucougs

Well, I think the problem for me was not having enough guys around the ball when the back broke the tackle. If I was to compare the Stanford game with the Oregon game, Stanford's back broke just as many tackles as Seastrunk, but there were always two or three guys around him, so if he broke the first tackle, someone would be there to finish the job. Seastrunk would break the first tackle, and then get by my defensive back and he was gone. I know in the Stanford game all I basically did on first down and other running situations was target the back, I believe that helped out tremendously, I don't remember how often I targeted the running back in the Oregon game, but it definetely was not enough.