XBOX Fail Mode

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Colemanchu, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

XBOX Fail Mode

Well my first XBOX got the two red lights a month after the warranty went out and I fixed for a few months before buying a new one. This one made it two months past the first year warranty before it stopped reading discs.

I've tried the slam the drive shut and turn it off technique, I try the tap on the xbox technique, and the tap the A button to open and close the tray fifteen hundred straight times technique. All to no avail.

Now I'm going to go buy a dvd cleaner disc which I think is pointless because my drive wont even know it is in there. Either the laser is stuck too far back and isnt under the disc or the drive is trash and I'll have to replace it with the drive from my other broken xbox.

So if you guys have any other ideas I overlooked let me know, or atleast tell me about a good PS3 league. :mad:

2. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

honestly if the warranty is up and you're just going to scrap it anyway, crack that baby open and see if the laser is stuck.

dunno about 360s but i know on other devices (DVD players, Computers, etc.) sometimes the laser gets stuck and just needs a finger to push it back into its track.

3. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

yep thats what i think i am going to do but want to try everything possible before i break that seal since the POS will probably get the three red lights in a couple weeks anyway.

ive seen some videos where the laser somehow gets stuck as far back as it can go and the disc wont reach it. stupid question but "why would you even design it so that that is a possibility?"

4. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Because we engineers sometimes miss the forest for the trees.

5. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Voiding the warranty on this thing as we speak, eventhough I would prefer to take it into the desert and get my "Office Space" on.

6. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

STOP NOW!

7. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

there is a 3 year warranty on that little shit for the E74 Error. here is what you do, Wrap it up in a blanket for about 30mins, when its nice and warm slap the bottom until it gives you the E74 error message. Don't slap it hard enough to break the case just enough to break the soldering joints. then call them up and they will send you a replacement.

8. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

No thanks. I'll just fix this shit.

Thanks,

-Mr Wizard

9. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Im in the same boat Cole...

Looking at a $200 worthless hunk of plastic right now.

and nautica... ive already got the E74 message before and had it fixed, will that affect the warranty?

10. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Ok, you live in pheonix, and the center is in texas, you will be without it for about a week, and you'll get a good box and keep your 3yr warranty. Next time you buy another, go to best buy and pay the extra 50 bucks for their warranty and you can get a brand new box if anything happens within that 2 year span, and then your manufacture warranty starts all over again.

11. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

No it is still covered as long as you are still within that 3 year period.

12. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I blame this shit on the pump fake glitch.............

13. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

My xbox was having trouble reading disc's the other day... could this be happening to mine?

Mind you when I purchased my new one I made sure I got the model that has the "jasper" core which from what I remember reading does not get the red ring of death. What I didn't read was if it had other problems like the disc errors or whatever.

14. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Actually a broken XBOX is only worth about 30 dollars on EBAY.

If you want to try and fix it there are plenty of videos on YOUTUBE. I'm just going to swap DVD drives with my other crapBOX and cross my fingers.

15. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I blame it on the rain

16. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Yeah mine has been having problems for a week or two now and I just used the take disc out and slam shut method to reset the laser. But this morning it just stopped working altogether.

Pretty messed up to see this happen to multiple people at the same exact time. I think it's EA screwing something up in the XBOX along the way.

Microsoft "Hey will give the third patch for free if you do something for us."

EA "Yeah! What is that!"

Microsoft "Make the 360 users disc drives go out so we can charge them 100 dollars to fix it."

EA "We goin Sizzler!"

17. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Sorry to hear man. Heap of shit we keep throwing our money into.

Looks like your national title hopes are over eh? :(

18. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Shit. You think I would make Helli's day and bail out? I'm going to throw some tape on my glasses and fix this mofo.

19. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Im just going to play brickbreaker on my phone from now on.

20. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I don't think that will work, they come with a certain serial that matches the box. I tried doing it on my old box with a drive that would allow me to flash it. Unless they changed things, good luck.l

21. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

hey nautica, how long should I leave my xbox "in the oven" so to speak?

22. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

Probably the funniest thing I've heard all day. (Yeah, I've had a crappy day. lol)

23. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

1/2 hour should do the trick, if not just keep trying until it gives you that error code.

24. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Hahaha, attaboy!

25. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Yeah I know about this and am reading a bunch of crap that I dont understand much of as we speak. If I read over and over enough times it will click. I think.