XBox internet connection question

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by bcduggan, Jan 31, 2012.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

How can one fix an mtu error on xbox with a wireless connection?

My neighbor is having issues with connecting xbox to internet. It says connection to the hotspot is fine but gets an mtu error after that point.

I know there is a section on xboxlive concerning this, but I don't really understand hooking things up to the internet to explain how to fix it in simpler terms to my neighbor.

Any positive help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

You cannot control the MTU size on the Internet, only locally within your LAN. Please be more specific as to the error message so we can properly diagnose.

The default is 1500, Xbox needs anything above 1364. For most people, setting equipment to auto detect on the MTU is best.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  3. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Sorry, my fault, I don't own an XBox, I thought it was a standard error message.

The error message read something like this:

Your network does not have a sufficient MTU setting. Xbox LIVE requires a minimum MTU setting of 1364.

This may or may not be relevant to the question but in the apartment building we live in we use a hotspot box that is located in the laundry room. His apartment is closer to the hotspot than mine is. From what I know about signal strength in my apartment it says signal strength on my ps3 is between 95-100%,this is most likely wrong, depending on which hotspot I login to, but the computer which is 2-3 feet from reads normally signal strength of 52-57%. If my understanding is right, if all other things are equal I would think he would have better signal strength in his apartment than I would get in mine.

4. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Similar to Internet latency, there are many variables that go into Wi-Fi levels. However, this issue is relative to somewhere in the path which has an inadequate MTU setting, subsequently dropping frames. I would check all device MTU settings, starting with any legacy devices where this problem is more prevalent.