xbox problems

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by astealthyhippo, Nov 17, 2009.

1. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

xbox problems

I am having trouble getting video from my xbox. I thought it was my component cables, b/c they are the MADcatz (or whatever the hell they're called) from gamestop. So I went out and bought a different brand and plugged them in. Same thing, I have perfect audio/visual for like 30 seconds, then the video goes away and I can still hear the audio. I am unsure of what to do. Any ideas?

Pulled from wikipedia:

Video failure
    In mid 2007, technology and gaming blogs began reporting about new problems with the Xbox 360 losing video output. The problems are characterized by a blank, staticky, or grayscale video output with a proper functioning audio output and no flashing red lights on the console. The complete video failure is sometimes preceded by other graphical glitches such as an irregular saturation of green and/or red colors.

**On a side note (nearly 100% sure it's not related, but figured I would share the info)
    A while back I got the red ring of death, but my warranty was expired. I had a friend fix it, where we basically took out the x-clamps and put in washers and nuts in place. He's done this to over 15 xbox's and they are all fine.

Help?

2. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

damn, stumped

3. astealthyhippo

[​IMG]

Doesn't look like there's an easy fix. I going to try to get some help from my friend who helped with the RROD, but I am out of town tomorrow and Thursday, and probably couldn't play until Friday, and that's assuming I can fix the problem. I'm going to try not to miss a game...it's getting to crunch time.

Fuck...

4. astealthyhippo

alright, got the fucking thing torn apart. Disconnected the fans, to have it re-bake the processors. supposedly this is supposed to help (hell if I know if it actually will). After it cools down i will slap it back together and turn the thing on. This is assuming I can figure out how to put it together again.

how about another FUCK for good measure...:D

5. astealthyhippo

good news: got it pieced back together again and it appears to be working for the moment

bad news: sounds like a jet taking off

Going to try to play my game...

6. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

The extra noise from the box is supposed to simulate crowd noise for your game. (y)

7. astealthyhippo

update: turned the xbox on last night after being out of town for a day. It worked fine for 45 seconds, then the same shit. No video but audio worked. So I picked up a new xbox. Shouldn't have any problems for a while (it's pretty bad when you buy something and expect it to break for no reason eventually)

8. Bondzai

Mine started doing the same thing last night. This morning I turn it on and there is no video from the start. I can't afford to go get another one since I don't have a job right now. I'm going to do some searches and see what I can do.

9. astealthyhippo

Son of a B. Are you still getting audio? Mine would work fine for under a minute every time then the video would go blank or sometimes go really fuzzy dark grey with green and red random colors on the screen. I would call Microsoft and see if it is covered under warranty (mine had run out), but since it doesn't throw any codes (no red ring of any kind) I don't know what they will do. It is a known problem though, they should fix that shit.

10. Bondzai

Yep, mine is the exact same problem. I was racing in Forza last night and all of the sudden my screen goes black but I can still hear everything. So I turn off the box and turn it back on and it's working.....for about a minute. Then the screen is all fucked up looking with weird colors and pixelation. Now as soon as it boots up I can hear it but it's just a black screen.

11. astealthyhippo

Damn.

If still under warranty I would suggest calling to check if they can fix/send you a new one.

If not under warranty I would say open that shit up and remove the x-clamps and maybe re-apply some of the paste stuff (can't remember the name) for the GPU and CPU, and re-bake the processor. There's tons of how-to's floating around. That might give it another couple months of life before it breaks again like mine did.

That's all I know of to "fix" it. Sucks anyway you slice it.

12. Bondzai

For a quick fix I'm using my Dad's xbox, which he doesn't really use. It'll allow me to keep playing my games until mine gets fixed.

13. astealthyhippo

good to see you won't have any downtime. :D