Yahoo Sports Investigation of Miami

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by sonn, Aug 16, 2011.

1. sonn

sonn Walk On

Pretty much every major football player from 2002 to 2008 is named as receiving benefits from one booster, Nevin Shapiro.

Love the fact that Shapiro blabbed because he was upset that he was ignored by the players after he got caught in a huge Ponzi scheme. Probably the end of the Miami program for the foreseeable future.

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigati...miami_booster_details_illicit_benefits_081611

2. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Miami is gonna get bent over. And I know that article is really long, but its well worth the full read. Just an amazing piece of journalism.

The only downside is that Jacory got named which means he wont be able to throw his 4 INTs on Labor Day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Yeah, they're fucked.

I'm not sure if it was in this one, or another one... but the funniest part is when he mentions that they couldn't get into bidding wars because they didn't have enough money to compete with the SEC, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Merih

Merih XBL Gamertag: Ambasa10

Holy shit...

Paying for abortions, prostitutes, cash to recruits, illegal money donated to the athletic department, with coaches on hand at some of these strip clubs and such?

Hooooly shit

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Ohio State fans are literally jumping for joy... Hilarious.

6. Merih

Merih XBL Gamertag: Ambasa10

Meh, about as predictable as other fans making this about Ohio State :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Holy shit that was a good read.

lolmiami

8. H0TT NIKKELs

H0TT NIKKELs Walk On

9. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I personally can't wait until Charles Robinson goes after an SEC program. Its either the single greatest sports investigative journalism piece ever written or he gets killed under suspicious circumstances. There is literally no middle ground.

• Like Like x 4
  10. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Alright on a serious note and a huge Florida State fan, I don't really wish any harm on Miami or Florida except for a few loses in scholarships and what not but this situation is awful, bad for the rivalry. As a college football fan it sucks seeing teams go down for this shit and how terrible the NCAA is with case by case decisions. This has potential to ultimately destroy Miami, bad for FSU (in a sense) and bad for college football. It might not be the death penalty but Miami can not overcome a USC situation, why?

1) money- their funds are terrible
    2) facilities- zero some d2 schools have better stuff than a 5X national champion and not to mention they have to drive x number of miles to play a home game
    3) minimal fan base
    4) Florida and FSU will take over south Florida recruiting
    Etc

Just doesn't bold well for Miami and I have mixed emotions about the whole state of the program.

11. KnightNoles

here we go basically backs up what i said...

Miami Hurricanes NCAA Football Sanctions & Investigation: Impact on FSU
    http://www.tomahawknation.com/2011/...a-football-sanctions-investigation-impact-fsu

12. tuco418

tuco418 Older and wiser than you

I think the death penalty is likely, consider:

- SMU got shut down because of a history of cheating. The U was on major probation in the late 90's and those in the Miami administration appear to be involved. I think that 30 for 30 special on Miami which seemed to celebrate thier renegade profile doesn't help.

-NCAA head Emmert just stated in an interview that schools/coaches are doing a cost-benefit analysis and realizing the consequences of cheating are not enough of a deterrent. The U would be a high profile example and nuking the program would scare the piss out of everyone else.

If there is a death penalty, they are headed for a 10-15 year recovery period.

• Like Like x 1
  13. KnightNoles

tuco418 did you read the link before you posted?

I don't totally believe everything that comes out of this renegade booster's mouth though

14. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    If there's receipts then Miami is really screwed, no matter what the jock sniffer says

15. KnightNoles

I don't know... someone has been digging around, im reposting their work..

16. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I wish I could like this more. I've heard about half a dozen times today things like: "Miami and Ohio States situation" , "Ohio State players are feeling ripped off", "Buckeye fans are probably very happy today", "OSU's situation AND this one shows that major CFB is broken and needs fixed". etc. I live in Orlando so obviously the vast majority are biased here. So while some find it hilarious that some Buckeyes fans are jumping up and down to have a bigger target appear, I find it hilarious that (if true) Miami Football is probably over for at least a decade and still everyone that has a prejudice against OSU can compare the two situations as equal with a straight face.

What is not hilarious is the state of this great game. The NCAA should have a bunch of egg on their face as well here. I think it's becoming painfully apparent that the inmates absolutely run this fucking asylum and the NCAA is about worthless until it comes to collecting money. They can't organize the sport properly by installing a playoff, or at least some sort of worth while post season and they also can't police their programs. If this is true and this has been going on this long, fresh off of a previous probation.....fuck it. It's all about the $$ anyway, who cares right?

• Like Like x 1
  17. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    KnightNoles Yea what gets me is the "bounty" put on players..unreal

18. KnightNoles

I agree but there has always been bounties; NHL, NFL, what is so different it being in the college game?

19. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

The bounty is nothing new. They talked about that in the 30 for 30 episode about the U.

20. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

If the DP would ever be used again and 50% of this story is true, then this would probably be the time for it to get used.

However, I don't think it will be used again... it hurts the school, local economy, and team way too much for that to happen.

21. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

Well this explains why J. Harris throws bombs every pass, I thought he was just making poor pass decsions

22. sonn

sonn Walk On

This is a good article. Highlights the hypocritical nature of the NCAA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigati...YcB?slug=dw-wetzel_miami_scandal_scene_081711

23. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

It'll be interesting to see if there are some repercussions from this beyond just Miami football. I've seen it speculated in a few places that this might be the straw the breaks the camels back and results in big program football schools breaking out from under the NCAA and starting their own college football league.

Keep in mind the NCAA is a voluntary organization. You don't have to belong, and we might be at a point in time where a lot of the top programs decide the pluses of the NCAA no longer outweigh the minuses.

24. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

great paragraph from one of The Big Leads articles on this ...

• Like Like x 1
  25. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

[​IMG]