Yahoo! Sports or ESPN...better sports journalism?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by AndyVanSlyke, Aug 17, 2011.

1. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Let's see...
    without yahoo sports Butch Davis would still be at UNC, Tressel at OSU, Reggie Bush would still have a Heisman, UConn bball wouldn't have had to take away schollies from themselves, there would be no mention of Cam's dad pimping him out...

Meanwhile ESPN breaks stories by Gottlieb that has FSU and Clemson already in the SEC.

ESPN is truly becoming a big joke.

I have noticed this year, the Jets are their team. Every time I turn on the station it's Mark Sanchez...Rex Ryan. Good Lord boys, lose your boners and actually cover sports.

• Like Like x 4
  2. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

I am so impressed with the work on the Miami story. They didn't just run a quick tagline, but it seems that yahoo did the leg work to connect some dots and find sources to match the statement.

3. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

The guy who wrote the story was on the Dan Patrick show this morning and said the invenstgation took months. They have identified and confirmed 70+ players that were involoved and have another 30+ names they have not been able to confirm yet. Yahoo Sports has really stepped up and been the only voice out there as ESPN is to "in bed" with the teams and conferences to do any real work.

4. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

yeah that is an amazing article...i was reading it last night while taking wyoming to the woodshed. espn is turning into TMZ

5. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

lol, you did take the poor cowboys to the woodshed. I think you scored on every first half possesion. 1 TD and 4 FGs.

6. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

well like i said, ESPN is absolutely just the Enquirer now. Yahoo will be there too once it financially benefits them (if ever). But hell yea, that story was amazing and I am reading much more yahoo than ESPN these days.

7. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

this story is insanely huge and ESPN has a notre dame story as their lead (i know...shocking).

the NCAA president issued this statement today..."If the assertions are true, the alleged conduct at the University of Miami is an illustration of the need for serious and fundamental change in many critical aspects of college sports. This pertains especially to the involvement of boosters and agents with student-athletes. While many are hearing about this case for the first time, the NCAA has been investigating the matter for five months. The serious threats to the integrity of college sports are one of the key reasons why I called together more than 50 presidents and chancellors last week to drive substantive changes to Division I intercollegiate athletics."

I can't remember a time ever when the ncaa made a statement in the middle of an ongoing investigation. this could be curtains for miami.

8. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

While I personally believe that if this is all true it should end in the death penalty for Miami, I dont think the NCAA has the balls to do it. There is too much money and they will be too heavily influenced by those that stand to lose that money that in they end the punishments will be weak.

9. vatechhokie01

disagree on this one. personally, i honestly believe with expansion (which will happen) and growing investigations, mark my words, but long process will lead to dissolution of NCAA and new oganization will give players money. im tellin ya. too big to keep controls on. money will be ok'd in the next 10yrs.

10. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

if it was the death penatly...which is two years out right? Would anyone miss Miami? Its not like this is Ken Dorsey Miami teams right now, so if the NCAA does pass this down, its not like they are doing it to a powerhouse of a team, merely a top 40 team

11. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

Until that new orgaization is in place, the current NCAA will be weak in handing out punishments. They dont have any real power and they know it.

12. vatechhokie01

but you can guaran-damn-tee this sadly doesnt help the unification of the ACC (UNC, GT, and Miami corruption)...

bold and useless prediction:
    -vt, fsu, clemson to SEC (with A&M)
    -ND, Texas, Maryland, BC to Big 10
    -ou, okst, byu, missouri to PAC 12
    -Big East grabs the rest (UVA, UNC, Duke, NCSt, etc) - basketball!

*These super-conferences create new governing body and pay players. tournaments galore, money galore, and talent galore

13. vatechhokie01

well ill agree on this: the NCAA will either choose to allow pay of players or be disolved... but i do think this all takes a LONG time (5-15yrs)

14. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Big 10 would take UVA/unc/ncst over bc and umd.
    Unc and UVA having bigger athletic departments and fit better academically.

15. vatechhokie01

My only contention there is and was that bc and md are both great academic schools, are in massive tv markets and aren't tied to duke. UVA could def b md replacement. Of course this is all solid factual evidence by me...lmao

16. vatechhokie01

Wildcard...would not surprise me ONE bit if sec moves slow as molasses and one of the main reasons is pitching fball ultimate greatness and power for Texas to join them in the future. But I say tx says no and they def join nd in big 10 .

17. vatechhokie01

Don't see bc getting left out though. Boston and they r better academic than everyone but UVA and duke

18. TJM

TJM Walk On

My question is, does the ACC survive, that is if the NCAA survives? Yes, its only 1 team (likely for the DP, not GT and UNC) but if they get the death penalty then the "U" is f'ed. See SMU and the Southwest Conference.

19. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

I dont think BYU ever gets in the PAC 12. The left coast/religous aspect will keep them out. Honestly, unless the Big 12 survives and they join that, I could easily see BYU being left out of the super conferences. That would relagate them and all those left out to essentially D2 status.

20. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

ACC wil not dissolve imo. I see the 4 conferences ending up as SEC, BIG 10, Pac12, ACC.

Heath, Boston is a big market, but you and I both know that it is a SMALL tv market for college football. Boston is and always will be a pro town.

21. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

I expect the NCAA will act swiftly and severely on this one. they will make an example out of miami.