Yankee Owner Passes

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by JerzeyReign, Jul 13, 2010.

1. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Yankee Owner Passes

Either you loved 'em or you hated 'em but at the end of the day you respected George Steinbrenner Sr. I personally loved how he invested so much into his baseball team to bring home a championship. No owner in history of modern sports can say they loved their team more than George Steinbrenner. When you think Yankees you think: Ruth, Greg, Maris, Mantle, and Steinbrenner.

RIP Mr. Steinbrenner

ESPN Article

2. lukeoverture

lukeoverture Walk On

i totally agree. i hate the yankees, but i always held respect for george steinbrenner. he was a lot of things, but a loser is not one of them. he knew how to win and he had the passion necessary to do such things.

3. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

As a Yankees fan, this has been a particularly tough week. On Tuesday, Bob Sheppard died after 55+ years of being the Yankees Public Address announcer, and now the Boss?

Yeesh, tough week indeed...

4. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

I too hate the Yankees and always hated George Steinbrenner, but he never broke rules signing any of the players he did and he should not be blamed for a broken system in baseball. There are only a handfull of markets that could supoort their salaries though, so it's not like he would have won anywhere. Just the right guy in the right city. I can't believe it, but I actually feel sorry for the Yankees fans. As a Tigers' fan, we lost Ernie Harwell this year, so I can sympathize.

5. dopeboy206

dopeboy206 Walk On

6. Tiger_Stripes86

Tiger_Stripes86 Walk On

Well first George Steinbrenner is was arguable the most iconic figure in one of the most well known cities in the world the past 30 years. He could walk down the street next to any of the big names of the past 30-40 years and be just as recognizable as any of them. Plus like someone said earlier he at least put his money back into the game he loved and that's something that a lot of owners don't do. Now I'm not saying he didn't have plenty of money of course but at least he wasn't like some of the other sports franchise owners who just sit on their money and don't care if his team won or lost as long as he made money. He was a very giving man when it came to charities in both the form of money and his own personal time, and I believe he truly did care about his players.