Year 2 in Review

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Wyrmreaver, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Summary of your season, maybe a look towards next season.......

2. Wyrmreaver

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    14-0 BCS National Champions
    Sparty finishes the season on top of the CFB world. In addition to taking home the title in dominating fashion, MSU dominated the postseason awards. They did not bring home the Heisman but did win the awards for defensive player of the year, best QB, best WR, best defensive lineman, and best linebacker. Coach Wyrmreaver has now gone to back to back national title games and, having won one, the question now is can they repeat?​
    Coming into this season people mostly expected the Spartans to employ a smashmouth, run first offense like they had the season before. Early on that seemed to be the plan, but starting HB LeVeon Bell was hampered by nagging injuries which forced the team to turn to the backup HB and to increasingly give the ball to (RS)JR signal caller Andrew Maxwell. Maxwell responded by having the best season of any college quarterback in the country. He completed 68% of his throws (244/359) for 4174 yards with 46 TDs and only 11 INTs. In some games where the rushing attack struggled, Maxwell simply put this team on his back and willed them to victory. Maxwell didn't have to do it without help though, with LeVeon Bell struggling through injuries, fellow Junior Larry Capers stepped up in a big way. Bell finished the season with 996 yards and 14 TDs on 163 carries while Caper added 911 yards and 13 TDs on 181 carries. This one-two punch helped the team put away games in the second half as the emergence of the passing game allowed the team to be highly aggressive in the first half of each contest. In the passing game, Maxwell's success was aided by the breakout play of the receiving corps. In particular, (RS)SO Keith Mumphery exploded onto the scene and won the best WR award. Mumphery had 36 catches for 1241 yards and 10 TDs, averaging over 34 yards per catch. In addition, Mumphery was explosive in the return game and was the runner up for returner of the year. (RS)SO TE Dion Simms led the team in catches with 54, which translated to 912 yards and 12 TDs. The Junior Duo of Bennie Fowler and Keith Carrol ha6 46-704-13 and 48-682-8 respectively as the #1 and #2 receivers on the depth chart.​
    On the flipside, everyone expected this defense to be good, especially in the front 7. Led by a core of seniors, this group was lights out all year, coming up with big plays like sacks and INTs in bunches. Ends Tyler Hoover (SR) and William Gholston (JR) each had 11 sacks and All American DT Jerel Worthy (SR) had 7. Senior OLBs Chris Norman and Steve Gardiner combined for 11 more sacks from various blitz packages while Junior MLB Max Bullough won defensive POY honors with 22 TFL, 14 sacks, and 2 INTs. The front seven had so much success getting pressure that the secondary looked much better than their actual skill level. Starting corners Johnny Adams and Mitchell White, both seniors, had 7 and 5 INTs respectively, while junior CB Darqueze Dennard, in the nickel corner role, managed 7 INTs as well. At safety, Junior SS Jairus Jones had 3 sacks and 2 INTs making big plays and helping to keep the pressure off of JC transfer Joey Fitzpatrick who started at FS as a sophomore.​
    Can they repeat? Maybe, a lot depends on how many of these eligible players declare early for the draft. On Defense, players like Gholston (DE) and Bullough (MLB), if they come back, would form the core of another nasty D, while their leaving would mean that almost the entire front seven and both corners would need to be replaced. On offense every contributing skill position player could possibly declare early, though all could conceivably come back as well. If Maxwell (QB) returns this team will be in good shape, especially if Mumphery (WR) and Sims (TE) both return.​

3. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Notice how the guy who won the title is anxious to review his season.

He didnt even beat the mighty Illini though - FAKE CHAMPIONS!!! :p

4. Wyrmreaver

lol...... I actually was looking at how many guys on defense are leaving and how all of my offensive players could try and enter the draft early...... since I was thinking about it I figured I should write a little something up..... I see no one else is game to review their season though :(

5. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

i took a 4 day break from the game. just had fun in my bowl though.