Yellow Light of Death - Ouch

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Yellow Light of Death - Ouch

Figures this would happen during the week I've been most looking forward too this season...and that's my game with Nate. But I tried to turn on my system this morning, and I got the dreaded yellow light of death where it apparently overheated and now won't let me start the system back up.

Called my local guy and Sony Support and basically it looks like I can pay $150 to repair it, or I can buy a used or new system. . .either of which pretty much suck ass.

So it looks like I might be out of commission for a while...but I will know more in the morning. I just wanted to give everybody an update on my status. In either case I will be remaining on the board even if I have to lose my ownership of the Jags temporarily. Damn this really sucks!

2. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Been there. My original died back in February, only a month after I got my 2nd PS3. I had one in the living room and in the bedroom (so I can avoid TV conflicts) but now I only have one that I have to move if need be.

The YLOD is definitely a pain. It really sucks. Not sure what causes it, but it really is a bitch. I miss my original, it truly was good to me and it saw some very good action over the years. RIP

Yea, sorry about your system bud. Let us know if we can help out somehow.

3. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Really sorry to hear it. Funny how Sony gets you coming and going. It's a complicated fix for a very simple problem. Whatever you decide, GL.

4. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

If you have a fat boy then you might as well get a new one. I have one and the fans are running hard on it so when it dies I will be getting the newer model.

5. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Ya, my fatboy died twice and I finally just got a new one. The 2nd time it died just 2 weeks after repairing it the first time.

6. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

hmmmm, strange, when i first saw the thread, i thought it was in reference to the site being down.... again....

Dunlap, sucks when a $400 piece of hardware blows out on you. hope you can get back into the action soon and i would be lieing if i didnt say our games were awesome and you will be missed.

As for PS3s dieing.... every since i went 4 rounds with my 360 and tech support, i have ALWAYS bought the extended extended warranty for any piece of electronics over 100 bucks, every store offers some sort of extended warranty that gets picked up by a third party insurer.

Also, one bit of advice that ive learned over the years, NEVER EVER EVER EVER put your 360, wii, ps3, anything, into any sort of enclosed space, doesnt matter if you cut the back of the cabinet out and leave the door to the cabinet open to increase air flow, it will still over heat and die... my ps3 is on a folding tv dinner table beside the tv even with an open spot in the media cabinet that the ps3 would fit into nicely

The WORST thing sony/microlame ever did was the wireless controllers.... ppl think they can put the PS3/360 in a enclosed space because there are no controller wires to plug in anymore, the PS3 is soooo pretty sitting polished behind a peace of glass in a cabinet but its a death warrent. 75% of consoles went on top of the tv with all the airflow a motherboard could want with wired controllers

One other PS3 warning that ive heard.... never ever have smoke of any sort in the same room with the ps3, it will destroy it slowly. im not only talking about the obvious stuff like pot or cigarettes, but the not so obvious stuff too, candles, insents, smoke from someone cooking... it will eat away at it

Enough ranting, Dunlap, i hope your not MIA for long and your ass better get back here for 11 at the latest:(

7. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Have you had issues with the site?

8. VishaL

VishaL OMFL Eagles / PMFL Seahawks

yea i got the dreded yellow light like 3 years ago, i smoked directly into the ps3 and also let dust build up, it sucks but it was my fault, i hurried n traded in my 360 to get a new ps3, which made it worse, cus eventually i gave the broke ps3 to my lil brother and he took it to shop called gametrader paid $100, and picked it up the next day

that sucks dunlap i was going to be the biggest jags fan when you played the saints :)

9. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I would have appreciated this a week ago before you so graciously kicked my ass up and down the field. Thanks alot Dunlap.

10. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

Vishal, you my bro, i know how hard it is not to puff right next to the ps3 with the games being so long....

Just gotta break out bongzilla lololol

11. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

not really, just another classic ox overreaction.... the site wasnt down long and for the most part, the new equipment the owner of the site got has greatly improved the site.

12. Big D

Big D Walk On

Glad I'm not the first one with these issues! On the bright side I have a gamer friend who is letting me play Nate tonight at his place so I'll temporatily try to do that. I think I am going to get a new system....but the catch is my laptop is also on its last leg and I had planned on buying a new on in the next week or so. Now looks like I'll have to choose...bleh.

But anyways thanks for the support guys. Atleast temporarily I can play my games at my friends place. I'll keep ya updated on what happens.

13. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    If you have any issues, let me or Ryno know.:)

14. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

smoked directly into the PS3? Were u trying to get it high

15. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

damn that sucks. I have 1 of the 80 GB fat ps3's right now and have already had to send it out once because it wouldnt read discs. Luckily I had bought the extended warranty so it didnt cost me anything and I had it back in about 3 weeks. Ive been thinking about trading it in for a ps3 slim just because of all the problems I have heard.

16. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

CLASSIC, Sammy mitchell, you one funny SOB, cracking me up like that